kids citizenship

Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

pete_hyde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default kids citizenship

another bit of help i need, my fiancee is canadian, applying for my PR. we have sent off for our daughters citizensship cert. and have another baby on way due april. if there citizenship certs arent back by time we leave for canada, hopefully late this year. then are they ok to travel on british passports as long as we show proof that there citizenship is being processed ??
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kids citizenship

Originally Posted by pete_hyde
another bit of help i need, my fiancee is canadian, applying for my PR. we have sent off for our daughters citizensship cert. and have another baby on way due april. if there citizenship certs arent back by time we leave for canada, hopefully late this year. then are they ok to travel on british passports as long as we show proof that there citizenship is being processed ??
We were in a similar situation and just got our boys 1-year validity Canadian passports. We applied in person in London and it was a trivial and quick process. We didn't get their citizen certificates (that were applied for at the same time) until over 12 months later; long after we'd emigrated!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you're fine. Canada has no requirement that its citizens enter/leave the country on a Canadian passport. I'm a Canadian citizen with multiple citizenships. I have entered Canada using UK and US passports in the past - most recently with a US passport.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

yes but my problem is they have no proof that there canadian citizens apart from receipt saying we have sent for it
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
We were in a similar situation and just got our boys 1-year validity Canadian passports. We applied in person in London and it was a trivial and quick process. We didn't get their citizen certificates (that were applied for at the same time) until over 12 months later; long after we'd emigrated!
so even though we have already sent for citizenship can we still apply for the temp passport
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

so even though we have already sent for citizenship can we still apply for the temp passport
Guess that would depend on whether you have access to the documents that are necessary to prove that they qualify for a Canadian passport, or whether they're still being processed by the department that are dealing with the citizenship card application? I wouldn't know whether or not the two departments could liaise well enough to cross-reference/share them, if you see what I mean? Ask them and see: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Guess that would depend on whether you have access to the documents that are necessary to prove that they qualify for a Canadian passport, or whether they're still being processed by the department that are dealing with the citizenship card application? I wouldn't know whether or not the two departments could liaise well enough to cross-reference/share them, if you see what I mean? Ask them and see: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng
well the proof they need is my fiancees canadian birth certificate, this is how they are entitled to canadian citizenship. we have the receipt to show its being processed
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

well the proof they need is my fiancees canadian birth certificate, this is how they are entitled to canadian citizenship. we have the receipt to show its being processed
You're going to have to contact the Canadian High Commission in London if you want to pursue a temporary passport (although, as I said earlier, your child can enter Canada on a UK passport):

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng

They have the ability to issue a temporary passport if you can show a need for one:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/pptc/documents.aspx?lang=eng

Temporary passport
Selected Canadian Government offices abroad may issue temporary passports on behalf of Passport Canada to Canadians with an urgent and proven need for a passport, while they wait to receive a regular, special or diplomatic passport. The validity period for this passport is determined by the issuing office.

Here is some info on processing times for Canadian citizenship certificates. As you can see, applying for one outside Canada adds 3-4 months to the processing time.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...processing.asp

By the way, it's a good idea to have multiple copies of birth certificates. Sending off the only copy of anyone's birth certificate always makes me nervous. For this reason, I've obtained multiple copies of birth certificates for myself, my wife and kids.

If they require your fiancee's birth certificate to issue a temporary passport for your child (and they can't match up with your existing citizenship certificate application), then your fiancee may have to obtain another copy of her Canadian birth certificate.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 16th 2011 at 11:48 am.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You're going to have to contact the Canadian High Commission in London if you want to pursue a temporary passport (although, as I said earlier, your child can enter Canada on a UK passport):

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng

They have the ability to issue a temporary passport if you can show a need for one:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/pptc/documents.aspx?lang=eng

Temporary passport
Selected Canadian Government offices abroad may issue temporary passports on behalf of Passport Canada to Canadians with an urgent and proven need for a passport, while they wait to receive a regular, special or diplomatic passport. The validity period for this passport is determined by the issuing office.

Here is some info on processing times for Canadian citizenship certificates. As you can see, applying for one outside Canada adds 3-4 months to the processing time.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...processing.asp

By the way, it's a good idea to have multiple copies of birth certificates. Sending off the only copy of anyone's birth certificate always makes me nervous. For this reason, I've obtained multiple copies of birth certificates for myself, my wife and kids.

If they require your fiancee's birth certificate to issue a temporary passport for your child (and they can't match up with your existing citizenship certificate application), then your fiancee may have to obtain another copy of her Canadian birth certificate.
they only needed to see her certificate in london before the application was sent to canada to be processed. we have back both birth certificates already. hmm this is a difficult one, we did ask for it to be done asap but who knows
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

The CIC website quotes an average timeline of 10 months, for 'straightforward' applications and then adds: "Note: If you are applying through a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate from outside Canada, add an additional 3 to 4 months to the total processing time."

That estimate would correspond accurately to our experience, back in 2005. For what it's worth, we also asked nicely if they could process it "ASAP, please" and that was when the lady laughed and advised us to get them their Canadian passports
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

they only needed to see her certificate in london before the application was sent to canada to be processed. we have back both birth certificates already. hmm this is a difficult one, we did ask for it to be done asap but who knows
Ok - then I misunderstood your comment that you only had a receipt for the Canadian citizenship certificate application. I thought you meant that you didn't have your fiancee's birth certificate.

Again, you can contact the Canadian High Commission in London to see if a temporary Canadian passport can be obtained.

If you have to, obtain UK passports for your kids and enter Canada on those instead. Canadian citizenship certificates and Canadian passports can be obtained in Canada if need be - and, at least in the case of citizenship certificates, can be obtained much quicker than in the UK.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

The CIC website quotes an average timeline of 10 months, for 'straightforward' applications and then adds: "Note: If you are applying through a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate from outside Canada, add an additional 3 to 4 months to the total processing time."

That estimate would correspond accurately to our experience, back in 2005. For what it's worth, we also asked nicely if they could process it "ASAP, please" and that was when the lady laughed and advised us to get them their Canadian passports
I guess the OP would be interested in exactly how you obtained a temporary Canadian passport for your child if you did not have official proof of Canadian citizenship (either a Canadian birth cert or a Canadian citizenship cert). Did they simply accept a Canadian parent's birth cert and the child's long form UK birth cert that named the Canadian parent?

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 16th 2011 at 1:27 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I guess the OP would be interested in exactly how you obtained a temporary Canadian passport for your child if you did not have official proof of Canadian citizenship (either a Canadian birth cert or a Canadian citizenship cert). Did they simply accept a Canadian parent's birth cert and the child's long form UK birth cert that named the Canadian parent?
I know officialdom in every country moves in mysterious ways. but why wouldn't they? The Canadian parent's birth certificate will say that s/he was born in Canada (assuming s/he was).
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I know officialdom in every country moves in mysterious ways. but why wouldn't they? The Canadian parent's birth certificate will say that s/he was born in Canada (assuming s/he was).
Officially at least, Passports Canada want a CIC document proving Canadian citizenship.
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/section4.as...=international

Unofficially, they may be more flexible in the case of children where an application for a citizenship certificate has been made and there is prima facie evidence that the child is Canadian.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Officially at least, Passports Canada want a CIC document proving Canadian citizenship.
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/section4.as...=international

Unofficially, they may be more flexible in the case of children where an application for a citizenship certificate has been made and there is prima facie evidence that the child is Canadian.
There speaks the expert. But I really doubt there'd be a problem in practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.