Keeping PR Card after Citizenship

Old Dec 5th 2007, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

peterevanscott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keeping PR Card after Citizenship

My wife is about to apply to become a citizen. We hear that once she is granted citizenship, she will have to surrender her PR Card.

She quite likes the card and wants to keep it as a souvenir, as many people do with expired, voided passports. Does anyone know if there's a way for her to keep her PR Card once she's sworn in as a citizen?
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:50 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Keeping PR Card after Citizenship

Originally Posted by peterevanscott
My wife is about to apply to become a citizen. We hear that once she is granted citizenship, she will have to surrender her PR Card.

She quite likes the card and wants to keep it as a souvenir, as many people do with expired, voided passports. Does anyone know if there's a way for her to keep her PR Card once she's sworn in as a citizen?
I guess you can only ask. I handed mine over at the ceremony.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Tarik is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by peterevanscott

No you can not keep it. PR is a government property and governments do not let people keep souvenirs.

On the serious note, u must surrender the card and landing papers before Citizenship card can be issued.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

It must be such a downer trading in the lovely PR card for the amateurish-looking citizenship one
Old Dec 6th 2007, 1:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
It must be such a downer trading in the lovely PR card for the amateurish-looking citizenship one
Recommended to keep a copy of the PR Card.

Canadians probably wouldn't need a passport to enter the United States if the citizenship card was produced to the same standards as the PR Card.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

peterevanscott is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a downer, yes. I don't see why the card can't be voided somehow, like how the passport office does with old passports (which are also government property). How depressing.