Just starting out. Help.

Old Sep 6th 2015, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Chippyodave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just starting out. Help.

Good morning everyone.

For a while now my wife and I have been planning on leaving the uk and Canada is our preferred destination. With extensive research and from reading the threads on BE.
I am 36 and a carpenter with nvq level 2. I have extensive experience in both first and second fix work (15 years).
To be honest the whole process is a bit confusing. I keep reading conflicting information regarding qualification recognition in Canada.
My wife has been working in finance for the past 4 years, with some post secondary qualifications. And I am currently undertaking a bsc in construction management.
Under the FSW program I understand that my experience will be recognised but not sure if my nvq will?
In short, based on others experience are me and my wife (2kids) likely to be accepted? British Columbia is where we want to go.
Many thanks in advance.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 8:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just starting out. Help.

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Unfortunately, without knowing a lot more about you, none of us can say whether or not you'd be accepted.

You need to first make sure that your wife scores 67 or more, and if so then she would qualify as a Federal Skilled Worker - Six selection factors – Federal skilled workers

Or if you wanted to be the main applicant, then you need to check that you qualify under the Federal Skilled Trade program - Determine your eligibility — Skilled trades

If so, then one of you can apply under Express Entry, and you'll be entered in to a pool of applicants, where those with the highest scores are invited to apply for PR. To be in with a chance of this, you'll need to score above approx 450 on the CRS - Express Entry – Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria

So double check your and your wife's scores on the links above, and let us know what they are, we can then point you in the right direction and let you know if you could apply for PR now, or if you need to look at other visa route.

Your NVQ isn't likely to be recognised in Canada, but have a search of the forums as I think that carpenter is an occupation that needs provincial certification.

HTH, good luck.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:46 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Your NVQ isn't likely to be recognised in Canada, but have a search of the forums as I think that carpenter is an occupation that needs provincial certification.
It isn't and it does.

The OP would need to challenge the exam. It is Red Seal endorsed so does not matter in which province. ITABC are pretty easy to deal with.

Trade Programs | ITA BC
Old Sep 7th 2015, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi just to clarify: NOC 7271 is not actually regulated in BC:

Carpenters (NOC 7271-B) - Lower Mainland - Southwest Region, British Columbia - education and job requirements (provincial) - Job Bank

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 7th 2015 at 7:54 am.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 3:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Even when certification is optional, it makes it very hard to get a job without certification or to get the same rate of pay as a certified journeyman.

Employers are also concerned about liability and workers comp when hiring uncertified trades, unless they are overseen by a journeyman.

To enter a trade without certification puts one at a distinct disadvantage to other applicants.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Thankyou christmasoompa, aviator and snowy. All points duly noted. I have taken the ee eligibility test and am ok on that side with my trade and experience. With regard to crs points I did a quick calculation, and assuming I can get the points I tallied up, I pass the current threshold Christmas outlined of 450 (ish). I know that my UK qualifications will not be recognised by cic or provincially by bc. But how does that affect my job prospects if/when I get there? Will I be better off doing a reccie and sitting red seal at the same time (taking into account my lack of Canadian terminology/experience). Obviously I know I would have to study for said exam, what about an intensive refresher course? Any advice from tradesman/women who have been in a similar position.
Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Chippyodave
Will I be better off doing a reccie and sitting red seal at the same time (taking into account my lack of Canadian terminology/experience). Obviously I know I would have to study for said exam, what about an intensive refresher course? Any advice from tradesman/women who have been in a similar position.
Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Boots on the ground is worthwhile. There is no 'Red Seal' test. The certification test is provincial and has a Red Seal endorsement, which means other provinces recognise it.

Register with the provincial training authority, prove your 9000 hours, come sit the exam and visit employers all at the same time. If you get a job offer before sitting the exam, which some will do, it may be conditional on passing it within a set period of time.

If you can fix up meetings ahead of time, good. Don't wait for a job to be advertised, call and ask if they are looking for anyone.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 6:50 am
Just Joined

Very helpful aviator, thanks for the advice. I will be speaking to them about requirements and next steps re provincial exam, making an extensive list for prospective employment then going hell for leather! Top man. 👍
Old Sep 8th 2015, 10:56 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

A family friend came over on an IEC then obtained a job in BC and applied for Provincial Nomination - it took 2 years but he became a PR in June. He's a carpenter and didn't take any exams in BC, had no difficulty obtaining employment (and PNP sponsorship) and has had quite a few job offers since.

Old Sep 8th 2015, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know several people who have done something very similar as carpenters in BC (although BCPNP Skills route is "paused" at the moment):

Welcome BC - Skills Immigration

Unfortunately, IEC isn't an option as Chippy is 36.

Looking at ways to get more EE points: when do you expect to get your BSc? Did you include that in your tally of points? You will need to get it evaluated as it won't be a Canadian qualification. And you will need to get a language test to set up your profile. If you're in the UK that should be IELTS general training option. (Sorry if this has been covered or you know already).

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 8th 2015 at 12:43 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie
A family friend came over on an IEC then obtained a job in BC and applied for Provincial Nomination - it took 2 years but he became a PR in June. He's a carpenter and didn't take any exams in BC, had no difficulty obtaining employment (and PNP sponsorship) and has had quite a few job offers since.

I would always urge any tradesman to certify. Right now it is not mandatory in all provinces except Quebec. This may change.

More often than not, certified trades get paid better.

Certification can also affect commercial insurance premiums.