Wikiposts

Just starting out...

Old Sep 20th 2009, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

school52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just starting out...

Hi

I am looking to start my application process and its quite daunting for me. Is there any advice anyone can offer to help (things to avoid/essentials). The first step is the hardest for me. I am looking to emigrate with my wife and two young children under the skilled worker application (wife and I are both in the level B category).

This is my first post so thanks for looking.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Just starting out...

The best advice is to start by reading the Wikis on this site as they have a wealth of information, then to search the discussion forums whenever you have questions. The other advice is to take the process one step at a time, which should make it less overwhelming, plus read all information requests, etc. very carefully......

Good luck with your application
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Martin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by school52
Hi

I am looking to start my application process and its quite daunting for me. Is there any advice anyone can offer to help (things to avoid/essentials). The first step is the hardest for me. I am looking to emigrate with my wife and two young children under the skilled worker application (wife and I are both in the level B category).

Welcome to the forum.

Just remember that the CIC seem to be quite pedantic so take the time properly to complete the forms, leaving no blanks if N/A is more appropriate. Many of us have had our whole packs returned for simple omissions, which is frustrating because it sets you back another month by the time the CIO replies.

Good luck!
Old Sep 21st 2009, 5:48 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi

1. First things first is do you qualify? Have you at least 1 years experience in the past 10 years in an occupation on the "list of 38"? See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...008-11-28a.asp
2. If you don't you are either going to have to have worked in Canada with an approve work permit for at least a year (different programs) or have an Approved Employment option from an employer in Canada.
3. If you don't fit into any of the above categories, you will have to explore the provincial nomination programs to see if you can qualify there: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp
Old Sep 21st 2009, 7:36 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

My approach which may or may not suit you has been a 'to do list'
(I admit to being a list person, so it may seem a little basic to others but it helps me to cross things off)

e.g.
Set up favourites folder for websites
Collect favrourite pages - CIC, NOC etc
Print guide
Print forms
Print NOC list
Identify NOC role
Check with immigration lawyer if role qualifies for NOC (this was a double check for me, I'm sure not all do this)
Do points check

Then, I started on the info reqs

e.g.
addresses since aged 18
jobs since age 18
etc etc

Then I did a draft run through of all the forms which identified which info I was still missing

I'm at final completion of forms..just waiting some info back

I'm finding everyone on here really useful, so I hope this helps you.

Bali
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

First off, thank you all for the responses they are all really helpful.

Myself and my wife do not come under ''the list of 38'' as our occupations are PA/Secretarial and I am at management level within the Design Industry. Although we have enough points I assume at the moment it is not worth applying – is this correct? Not sure we come under any provincial nominations either.

Already looking through this website I have found amazing amounts of information which has been really useful and I will continue my research etc as we really want a decent future for out two kids (6 and 2) and feel a move away from the UK is the best solution.

Our plan now is to research, research, research, with the aim of doing a recce next year and hopefully starting the application too.

Again, any further info will be greatly appreciated, and good luck if you are also applying.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:17 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

First off, thank you all for the responses they are all really helpful.

Myself and my wife do not come under ''the list of 38'' as our occupations are PA/Secretarial and I am at management level within the Design Industry. Although we have enough points I assume at the moment it is not worth applying – is this correct? Not sure we come under any provincial nominations either.
If not on 'the list', then through FSW I think there is the Canadian experience route and arranged employment route. Then PNP.

There are three categories under the Federal Skilled Worker Class:

•Category 1: For persons in an occupation which corresponds to the list of occupations identified in the Ministerial Instructions and have evidence of one year of continuous full-time (or full-time equivalent) experience in that occupation;
•Category 2: For persons who have arranged employment offer with a Canadian employer; or
•Category 3: For students or workers who are legally residing in Canada, and have done so for at least 12 months immediately before submitting their application.
There are two other programs for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents. They are as follows:

•Provincial Nominee; and
•Quebec Skilled Workers.

Link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/skilled.asp

After that there are other routes e.g. family, investor but I am less familiar with them, but the CIC website is pretty good at setting them out.

Also, worth checking out the Provincial sites, as it wasn't until seeing some posts on here that I found out that different provinces can have different criteria / routes to PR.

Good luck.

Bali

Last edited by Bali2010; Sep 22nd 2009 at 11:20 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. Will look into these.