Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Just Married--Now How to Get PR as Bunac Expires

Just Married--Now How to Get PR as Bunac Expires

Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:53 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 11
mattparker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just Married--Now How to Get PR as Bunac Expires

Hi There,

I am a Canadian, my British GF and I are now married after 5 years--we did it proper, certificate in hand now in Canada...but of course we did leave it to the last minute in the sense that her BUNAC is about to run out in a month.

This doesn't bug us much, it will work out in the end, but one mistake we probably have made is filing an INLAND PR application (since we both got so accustomed to living together here in Toronto) when perhaps it should have been an outland one. You see, with the BUNAC expiring, we had all along planned for her to go back to Herefordshire for a bit--but will her being back home hurt our INLAND application claim in some odd way....She of course doesn't plan on working here while we wait...but will being out of country hurt the application process

Thanks for any help
M
Toronto
mattparker is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:14 am
  #2  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,483
Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Married--Now How to Get PR as Bunac Expires

No problem.
Jim Humphries is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:46 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 11
mattparker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just Married--Now How to Get PR as Bunac Expires

Thanks Jim,

Might we also ask about the medical exam--which I gather has been streamlined into an "all in one" sort of application...We have the Designated Practioner appointment on Monday here in Toronto...

Will the Practioner be giving us a signed form for her on the day of examination--ie. so I can take it and continue filing it as soon as possible with the rest of all our paperwork....or will we have to be waiting for some kind of result to proceed with the filing of our application...

In other words, I know the practioner sends his own results to immigration, but we will able to proceed with our filing package after visiting the doctor, won't we--to save time (under assumption her health is fine as we believe)
mattparker is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2010, 5:07 am
  #4  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Married--Now How to Get PR as Bunac Expires

Hi

Originally Posted by mattparker
Thanks Jim,

Might we also ask about the medical exam--which I gather has been streamlined into an "all in one" sort of application...We have the Designated Practioner appointment on Monday here in Toronto...

Will the Practioner be giving us a signed form for her on the day of examination--ie. so I can take it and continue filing it as soon as possible with the rest of all our paperwork....or will we have to be waiting for some kind of result to proceed with the filing of our application...

In other words, I know the practioner sends his own results to immigration, but we will able to proceed with our filing package after visiting the doctor, won't we--to save time (under assumption her health is fine as we believe)

You should be given a receipt after the exam, which you include with your application.
PMM is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:11 pm
  #5  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Married--Now How to Get PR as Bunac Expires

Originally Posted by mattparker
Hi There,

I am a Canadian, my British GF and I are now married after 5 years--we did it proper, certificate in hand now in Canada...but of course we did leave it to the last minute in the sense that her BUNAC is about to run out in a month.

This doesn't bug us much, it will work out in the end, but one mistake we probably have made is filing an INLAND PR application (since we both got so accustomed to living together here in Toronto) when perhaps it should have been an outland one. You see, with the BUNAC expiring, we had all along planned for her to go back to Herefordshire for a bit--but will her being back home hurt our INLAND application claim in some odd way....She of course doesn't plan on working here while we wait...but will being out of country hurt the application process

Thanks for any help
M
Toronto
I am sorry but I disagree with Jim on this one.

If she is applying as an INLAND applicant she needs to stay inland.. if, for some reason she was refused entry back into Canada then the application would be forfeited as she has to be IN Canada in order to receive her PR under this kind of application. Whilst there is no legislation that precudes her leaving the country for a "visit", it does state that doing so is at the risk of being denied re-entry.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ides/5289E.asp

"... Leaving Canada can automatically cancel temporary resident status as a visitor, student or worker. Have no guarantee that you will be permitted to return or re-enter Canada if you leave before permanent residence is approved. This is especially true if a visitor visa is required...."

She can put in an outland application even though she is living here, which will mean she is free to come and go at will. I would strongly recommend Outland processing as it is much quicker and she should normally receive PR status before an inland application is approved! All she would need to do, should she want to stay here whilst her application is being processed, is to apply for an extention to her visitor permit.

If you haven't already put the application in, I would suggest you reconsider.

Siouxie is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:33 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
panic-stricken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just Married--Now How to Get PR as Bunac Expires

in the Bunac application theres small print that suggests you cant get a bunac visa if you have a canadian partner. Could this cause problems for you?
panic-stricken is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:01 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 11
mattparker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just Married--Now How to Get PR as Bunac Expires

Thanks for considering that Siouxie, we were just about to file, but I think you are right. While we may get away with filing inland in Mississauga while she visits UK, something could go awry with returning to the country and explaining status and the pending application...an outland application will give total peace of mind, and she can even take income at a former job in UK while she has a good visit

M




Originally Posted by siouxie
I am sorry but I disagree with Jim on this one.

If she is applying as an INLAND applicant she needs to stay inland.. if, for some reason she was refused entry back into Canada then the application would be forfeited as she has to be IN Canada in order to receive her PR under this kind of application. Whilst there is no legislation that precudes her leaving the country for a "visit", it does state that doing so is at the risk of being denied re-entry.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ides/5289E.asp

"... Leaving Canada can automatically cancel temporary resident status as a visitor, student or worker. Have no guarantee that you will be permitted to return or re-enter Canada if you leave before permanent residence is approved. This is especially true if a visitor visa is required...."

She can put in an outland application even though she is living here, which will mean she is free to come and go at will. I would strongly recommend Outland processing as it is much quicker and she should normally receive PR status before an inland application is approved! All she would need to do, should she want to stay here whilst her application is being processed, is to apply for an extention to her visitor permit.

If you haven't already put the application in, I would suggest you reconsider.

mattparker is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:42 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 225
Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice
Default Re: Just Married--Now How to Get PR as Bunac Expires

She can be IN Canada and you can STILL file outland. She doesn't *have* to be in the UK for that. We were also told by Imm Canada that IF we applied inland and he had to leave for some reason (visit family, family funeral etc) and was refused re-entry to Canada, the application would be abandoned. We decided not to take this gamble and applied outland. All was said and done, and he'd landed within 4 months.

Sounds like you've not yet actually submitted your paperwork, so this may still be an option for you.
Kynn is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.