Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Just was informed that my file was approved and their sending my COPR.

Just was informed that my file was approved and their sending my COPR.

Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

JakeCanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just was informed that my file was approved and their sending my COPR.

Hello all,

First of all thanks for all the helpful information I've received from all of you amazing people. After waiting for the Mexican federal police check which was finally received I have now been informed that my COPR will be issued in the next week or so.

Just a couple more questions. When I get my COPR can I drive to the US and just come back in and they will issue me my documents? or what? I'm not quite sure how this works. Can I go to any Canadian border crossing or are there specific ones? Also how long does PR last for, should I prepare for citizenship.. Just want to get a head start so there are no more headaches.

Thanks in advance,

Jake.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just was informed that my file was approved and their sending my COPR.

Originally Posted by JakeCanada
Hello all,

First of all thanks for all the helpful information I've received from all of you amazing people. After waiting for the Mexican federal police check which was finally received I have now been informed that my COPR will be issued in the next week or so.

Just a couple more questions. When I get my COPR can I drive to the US and just come back in and they will issue me my documents? or what? I'm not quite sure how this works. Can I go to any Canadian border crossing or are there specific ones? Also how long does PR last for, should I prepare for citizenship.. Just want to get a head start so there are no more headaches.

Thanks in advance,

Jake.
You can drive to the US, tell them you go on a shopping trip, pay $6 per person, shop, come back , tell the Canadians you want to flagpole and activate your PR.

You can drive to the US, tell them you want to flagpole, don't pay anything, get an administrative refusal, which some say is no problem others disagree and the US officers will send you straight back to the Canadian side where you can land.

Where abouts do you live?

PR is basically for life as long as you meet the residency requirements. Means you have to live 730 (2years) out of every 5 year period in Canada and don't commit any serious crimes. The card expires after 5 years and then you can renew it. It's just like a health card really and has nothing to do with the validity of you PR status.

You have to have lived 1095 days in Canada in the previous 4 years before applying for citizenship. Every day as a visitor or on a TWP counts as half a say, every day as a PR is a full day. Every night away has to be deducted.

Last edited by ninaDGBCA; Apr 24th 2013 at 5:56 am. Reason: Cogratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 24th 2013, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Just was informed that my file was approved and their sending my COPR.

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
You can drive to the US, tell them you go on a shopping trip, pay $6 per person, shop, come back , tell the Canadians you want to flagpole and activate your PR.

You can drive to the US, tell them you want to flagpole, don't pay anything, get an administrative refusal, which some say is no problem others disagree and the US officers will send you straight back to the Canadian side where you can land.

Where abouts do you live?

PR is basically for life as long as you meet the residency requirements. Means you have to live 730 (2years) out of every 5 year period in Canada and don't commit any serious crimes. The card expires after 5 years and then you can renew it. It's just like a health card really and has nothing to do with the validity of you PR status.

You have to have lived 1095 days in Canada in the previous 4 years before applying for citizenship. Every day as a visitor or on a TWP counts as half a say, every day as a PR is a full day. Every night away has to be deducted.

Hello, thanks for the reply..

I live near Owen Sound, Ontario. The border i'm crossing I think is a ferry border. Would I be able to cross there?

Whats an administrative refusal? What does it mean? Which would you recommend me doing?

Jake
Old Apr 24th 2013, 6:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I live near Owen Sound, Ontario. The border i'm crossing I think is a ferry border. Would I be able to cross there?

Whats an administrative refusal? What does it mean? Which would you recommend me doing?

Jake
You would probably be better off just going over the border for the day, do a bit of sightseeing or shopping then 'landing' on your return.

The other alternative is to make an appointment with your local CIC office to land, if you don't fancy going on a trip.

I am not sure about whether there is an immigration point at Owen Sound Town Dock. It's not listed as such here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/l...fice892-e.html Perhaps give them a call to ask?

Congrats by the way!

Old Apr 24th 2013, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Jake
If I were you I'd go to the US, book 2 nights in Rochester NY have a look around, go to the Syracuse outlets, buy cheap booze, go back and land. Then again I am a girl and like shopping .

I would always even do the day "shopping trip" over the admin refusal but that is just my opinion.
It does not mean you have been properly refused entry, it's more for record purposes, we still didn't want to have any refusal as we go to the States quite a bit and had contradicting information on how it might be a problem in the future. I have friends though that got an admin refusal and never had any trouble cross country border shopping. It's up to you.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by siouxie
You would probably be better off just going over the border for the day, do a bit of sightseeing or shopping then 'landing' on your return.

The other alternative is to make an appointment with your local CIC office to land, if you don't fancy going on a trip.

I am not sure about whether there is an immigration point at Owen Sound Town Dock. It's not listed as such here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/l...fice892-e.html Perhaps give them a call to ask?

Congrats by the way!

Think i may just do that, go over for the day have something to eat. Buy something and come home. Don't I have to give an address of where I'm staying or do I just say I'm going shopping?
Old Apr 24th 2013, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
If I were you I'd go to the US, book 2 nights in Rochester NY have a look around, go to the Syracuse outlets, buy cheap booze, go back and land. Then again I am a girl and like shopping .

I would always even do the day "shopping trip" over the admin refusal but that is just my opinion.
It does not mean you have been properly refused entry, it's more for record purposes, we still didn't want to have any refusal as we go to the States quite a bit and had contradicting information on how it might be a problem in the future. I have friends though that got an admin refusal and never had any trouble cross country border shopping. It's up to you.
Yeah I don't want an admin refusal, I think i'll go for the day..
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

You don't need an address. When we fill the I94 out we just put for example Walmart Ogdensburg in the address line and tell the border officers we go grocery shopping.

But they are usually quite helpful if you ask them what to put in the address line.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 1:42 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations on your COPR, enjoy the shopping trip