Just hoping

Old Sep 2nd 2015, 4:32 am
Just Joined

bighoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just hoping

Hello all,

I'm currently filling out the application for citizenship and I'm not so much stuck but unable to answer a couple of questions. My Father was born in Canada in 1946 but moved to the UK when he was around nine years old. He married my Mother in 1970 and I came into the world '74. The issue I have is that he passed away in 1976, the app is asking me questions I'll never know the answers to though because he's not here to ask.

How important is it for me to be accurate on the dates he left Canada for the UK? Because basically I can only guess at the year. Also, it asks for a Canadian Certificate Number, would he have had one if he was born there? And the only proof I have that he was Canadian is the Death Certificate issued in the UK, unless I can get one from the Canadian authorities?

Thanks very much for any help.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 6:31 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just hoping

Originally Posted by bighoss
Hello all,

I'm currently filling out the application for citizenship and I'm not so much stuck but unable to answer a couple of questions. My Father was born in Canada in 1946 but moved to the UK when he was around nine years old. He married my Mother in 1970 and I came into the world '74. The issue I have is that he passed away in 1976, the app is asking me questions I'll never know the answers to though because he's not here to ask.

How important is it for me to be accurate on the dates he left Canada for the UK? Because basically I can only guess at the year. Also, it asks for a Canadian Certificate Number, would he have had one if he was born there? And the only proof I have that he was Canadian is the Death Certificate issued in the UK, unless I can get one from the Canadian authorities?

Thanks very much for any help.
Get a copy of his birth certificate from the province he was born in, this will quite likely be required. Birth certs are provincial, not federal. If you have his DOB, place of birth and mother name, that should do it.

This is for BC http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/vi...h-certificates

You may have to provide a copy of his death cert and your birth cert.

If you can only guess when he left Canada, all you can do is guess, there is not any other option.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 2nd 2015 at 6:34 am.