Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Just got married, husband back in England

Just got married, husband back in England

Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

123me is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just got married, husband back in England

We just got married and are now about to start all the paperwork. First step print off and read manual and make duplicate copies of forms. Anything else?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

edmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just got married, husband back in England

First of all read the wiki on the blue bar, this is full of wonderful information, and if you get stuck or cant find the answer on the search post your questions and someone will be able to help you.
Once your ready to fill in the application, book your husbands medical and send off for your husbands police check as these will need to be sent with your application. You will find information on where your closest medical centre that does the immigration medical here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

Sort out any evidence that you have of your relationship, photos,cards bills in same name and that you have been living together if possible.
Just put yourself in the visa officers point of view that he/she doesnt know you so you need to show them your relationship and connivance them its real.

Besides the photos of your relationship/wedding, you will need photos for the immigration, you can find the specs for these with the forms.

Make sure you do an outland application as this is much quicker than the inland 2-4 months versus...well alot longer.

Anything I have missed will be filled in by other posters Im sure.
Good luck with your application

Ed's Wife
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Right, I have read the Wiki information before, but it was good to read it again. Thanks for your reply.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

emwen11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi 123!

We're about at the same stage as you but we all live overseas. DH is going for his medical on Monday and the police forms went off today! Yay!!

One thing I will mention - depending on where your DH is - the fees vary greatly.

We have a whole house, plus 2 dogs and a baby to move so any saving is a saving for us. Here in the Channel Islands, it was going to cost £700 . I think Caleo said a place in London was about £350, but DH is having his done in Manchester and it's £200, so if he can travel, it may be worth calling around!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

emwen11 is an unknown quantity at this point

PS - Congrats on the wedding!!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

My husband lives in Stoke on trent, so close enough to Manchester. £200 for a medical?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 123me
My husband lives in Stoke on trent, so close enough to Manchester. £200 for a medical?
That's incredibly cheap - as illustrated by the £750 quote! Usual price is around £300 per person.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Where do we find a list of doctors who can do the required medicals?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Where do we find a list of doctors who can do the required medicals?
It's on the CIC website, just look for the list of DMP's (Designated Medical Practitioners) and find your nearest one.

Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Okay, I found the list and will get my husband to call. Thank you. For police checks, how far back does he need to go?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

For police checks, how far back does he need to go?
He needs a police check for every country that he has lived in for 6 months or more since the age of 18, is that what you are asking?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

edmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud of

I went to Handsworth, £260 and the people there were lovely, really made u relax and the doctor was really nice to. Well worth the money, but then Im in the west midlands, so was closest for me.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, that is the info I was looking for regarding police check, thank you!