Just got it...anyone know any...

Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:23 am
Just Joined

fred111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just got it...anyone know any...

I just picked up my visa and it feels great!...Sort of...

Now all I have to do is find a job.

Can anyone advise on any good recruitment lawyers/consultants?

I have applied to a few jobs but the majorty say "give us a ring when you land". I'm just a bit anxious to resign before knowing I have a job.

Any advice is appreciated
Thanks,
fred
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:51 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just got it...anyone know any...

Originally Posted by fred111

I have applied to a few jobs but the majorty say "give us a ring when you land". I'm just a bit anxious to resign before knowing I have a job.

Thanks,
fred
I think its hard to convince employers you are serious when you contact them from another country and enquire about jobs. I think the best approach is to provisionally schedule a visit to your chosen area and then contact employers to try and arrange meetings with them on specific dates. You need to meet with them face to face here in Canada and then they will take you more seriously. When you have secured a job offer then you can quit your current job, pack up and move permanently.

Alternatively you could just move and take your chances but if it was me I would try the first approach
Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fred

arrange some interviews for when you go and officially land that way you are killing 2 birds with one stone if you catch my drift

Gay
x
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Karen1 will become famous soon enough

Thanks,
fred
Hi Fred

Can't help you on the job front but congratulations on picking up your visa after such a long wait.

Sleep with them under your pillow!

Karen
Old Jul 6th 2007, 6:48 am
Just Joined

fred111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies.

The problem is they all reply " ...give us a call when you land..." so to arrange an interview is not really possible.

Does anyone know if you HAVE to go to the City stated on the visa form or can you arrive anywhere in Canada?

Thanks,
fred
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies.

The problem is they all reply " ...give us a call when you land..." so to arrange an interview is not really possible.

Does anyone know if you HAVE to go to the City stated on the visa form or can you arrive anywhere in Canada?

Thanks,
fred
No you dont have to go to the place stated on your PR visa application form.

You are ok landing anywhere in the country. If you land in Quebec you must have a forward ticket to another part of the country.

When do think you will be going for good ?? if it is in a few months then go and start looking as soon as you know what date you will be there.

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
No you dont have to go to the place stated on your PR visa application form.

You are ok landing anywhere in the country. If you land in Quebec you must have a forward ticket to another part of the country.

When do think you will be going for good ?? if it is in a few months then go and start looking as soon as you know what date you will be there.

Gaynor
x
I managed to get 2 job offers before we arrived (oh the joys of being female and working in a male dominated indutry where they want some 'minorities' on their books!), one in Vancouver and the other in Kamloops, BC, but OH didn't have job and had the same response of "...give us a call when you arrive".

Now other than prefering the sound of Vancouver over Kamloops, we thought there were more job opportunities in Vancouver for OH.

He signed up to a temp agency to get some cash and stop him mopping round the apartment,to start with, but got a 'proper' job within a few weeks.

But I suppose it depends on the industry.

It was worth the risk for us.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
I managed to get 2 job offers before we arrived (oh the joys of being female and working in a male dominated indutry where they want some 'minorities' on their books!), one in Vancouver and the other in Kamloops, BC, but OH didn't have job and had the same response of "...give us a call when you arrive".

Now other than prefering the sound of Vancouver over Kamloops, we thought there were more job opportunities in Vancouver for OH.

He signed up to a temp agency to get some cash and stop him mopping round the apartment,to start with, but got a 'proper' job within a few weeks.

But I suppose it depends on the industry.

It was worth the risk for us.
There is a job fair coming up in Surrey,on July 19th.
http://www.pics.bc.ca/news_events_2007_jobfair.php
http://www.pics.bc.ca/ExhibitorsInvited.htm
http://www.tradesbc.org/ If OH wants to go into trades .
Yoong
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

Thanks,
fred
Hi Fred,

Congrats on the Visa - well done.

We are likely to be in the same position shortly - will have visa but no job. I guess we accepted that from the start and kept getting the same response "call us when you land".

Whilst it's going to be an unsettling time, that's what the settlement funds are supposed to be for. Stay cool, hit the ground running and you will succeed.

Keep smiling.

Simon & Laura