Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Just to get it clear ! ( hope this does not sound uncaring !)

Just to get it clear ! ( hope this does not sound uncaring !)

Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just to get it clear ! ( hope this does not sound uncaring !)

Ok - we have filled out the applications forms, applied for police check, writing our life story(with supporting evidence) and organising the relevant medical checks.

3 Questions - if we are successful with the spouse visa application, once it is received how long do we have to validate the initial entry?

Secondly, as we live together in the UK, will it be ok if my partner and I are on the same plane, or must he land 1st.

Finally we may not be ready to make the big move straight away, to keep the visa valid, will I need to spend some many days in Canada each year or over a five year period.

My Dads health and his Alzheimers is not great, so we can not guess at the moment what the immediate future holds.

We love him so much, we wont wanna move until he is no longer around, which the doctors think could be any where between 6 months to 3 years.

I hope this post does not sound heartless, but when he is no longer needing us the care for him, I feel it will be time to make a complete break and a new start.

Robx

Last edited by London-England-Lads; Aug 7th 2007 at 12:45 am.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 1:44 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just to get it clear ! ( hope this does not sound uncaring !)

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
if we are successful with the spouse visa application, once it is received how long do we have to validate the initial entry?
I don't know if there is a cut off point as such. Maybe someone else will be able to tell you that. However, one factor that drives many people's timetables is the fact that you have only a year in which to "land" in Canada from the time that your medical exam was done.

Secondly, as we live together in the UK, will it be ok if my partner and I are on the same plane, or must he land 1st.
It's okay if you're on the same plane or if he lands first. What you cannot do is land before him.

Finally we may not be ready to make the big move straight away, to keep the visa valid, will I need to spend some many days in Canada each year or over a five year period.
No, you will not need to spend X number of days per year in Canada. Common or garden permanent residents have to spend a total of two years out of any five year period in Canada if they want to maintain their status. However, the spouse or common law partner of a Canadian citizen does not have to fulfill that residency requirement as long as he/she is accompanying his/her Canadian citizen spouse or common law partner out of the country. Once you have "landed" in Canada, you and you partner can leave again. Any day that you spend with your partner abroad will count as a day spent in Canada, for the purposes of meeting your residency obligation. However, days that you spend outside of Canada will not count towards your eligibility for Canadian citizenship, if that is of any interest to you.

My Dads health and his Alzheimers is not great, so we can not guess at the moment what the immediate future holds.
You have my sympathy on that count.

I hope this post does not sound heartless, but when he is no longer needing us the care for him, I feel it will be time to make a complete break and a new start.
According to my value system, caring about your frail father does not qualify you as heartless. The way I look at it, national boundaries are an artefact of human culture that we have to live with. When astronauts look at our planet from space, they cannot see any borders. We're all Earthlings.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Your partner's Canadian, isn't he? He doesn't need to be involved in your landing process at all if you don't want/he can't make the trip or whatever. I was with my sponsored partner at his landing but my presence was not required by CIC. I did come in useful at re-doing his front page customs form though - faster and more legible writer - so I wasn't completely superfluous
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:25 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Your partner's Canadian, isn't he? He doesn't need to be involved in your landing process at all if you don't want/he can't make the trip or whatever. I was with my sponsored partner at his landing but my presence was not required by CIC. I did come in useful at re-doing his front page customs form though - faster and more legible writer - so I wasn't completely superfluous
Thanks for the clarification, Biiiiink.

Rob, what I told you about landing at the same time as, or after, your partner is relevant to a family of newly arriving permanent residents. In that case, one member of the family is the primary applicant, and the other family members are the spouse / common law partner and children of the primary applicant. In that scenario, the primary applicant must land at the same time as, or prior to, his/her dependants.

I'm glad Biiiiink caught my mistake in applying that rule to a Canadian citizen who was sponsoring his common law partner.