Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Just done our Medicals..our story & a couple of questions...!

Just done our Medicals..our story & a couple of questions...!

Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

iBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to alliBoBBa is a name known to all
Default Re: Just done our Medicals..our story & a couple of questions...!

Originally Posted by misskatpaw
Hiya,check post #8 or this link

http://immican.chat.ru/imm5419e.pdf

Katie
I did not see this in the TWP part of the website?

Also why did you feel the need to do a medical? (if british cit then i understand you dont need one, if you pass the online test thingy)
Old Mar 27th 2012, 11:13 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by iBoBBa
I did not see this in the TWP part of the website?

Also why did you feel the need to do a medical? (if british cit then i understand you dont need one, if you pass the online test thingy)

If you work permit is for an occupation in the following areas"

Depending on your intended occupation while in Canada, certain temporary foreign workers are required to undergo a medical examination. The following list provides examples of such occupations. This list is not all-inclusive.

Occupations that bring you into close contact (more than three hours a day or risk of exchange of body fluids) with people, namely:
workers in the health sciences field
clinical laboratory workers
patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes
medical students admitted to Canada to attend university
medical electives and physicians on short-term locums
teachers of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children
domestics
workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
day nursery employees
Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice

Originally Posted by juicyred
Hi all,

For women having their medicals done, is a PAP test standard? From all the descriptions I've read, some physicians do them and some don't.

And if it is or isn't standard, is there a CIC document that states this?

Thanks,

Jo-Anne
My 29 y.o. wife didn't need one. It's not a standard part of the exam, however if someone has previously had or currently has problems that may indicate it, it may be required - there are options for your own doctor or OBGYN to do it and provide a statement though. If those don't apply, you should feel comfortable in asking what the clinical indication for it is suggested (using the exact words "clinical indication"). They may just be running on auto-pilot, and it fairly accepted that it's good health maintenance to do one every few years, but it is clearly not indicated by the DMP handbook. If you aren't convinced with the reasoning, you can report the doctor to both the General Medical Council, and make an appointment with another DMP and ask about making a complaint about the first one.

I grew up around a lot of doctors (Uncles, Aunts, mum worked for a medical school), and the vast majority are wonderfully trustworthy people, but some will treat/test in ways that are unnecessary and do not provide the best quality of life for the patient, and some are truly creepy, and they should be identified and removed from their positions of trust.

Again, from the DMP handbook:

Vaginal examination, together with a Papanicolaou smear, should be undertaken only if clinically indicated, such as by the presence of pelvic masses noted on abdominal examination, or dysfunctional uterine bleeding. At the applicant’s request, this examination may be undertaken by the applicant’s own physician or gynecologist, who should provide a written report. That report is to be included and forwarded to the regional medical office with the IME.

Last edited by Duckman; Mar 28th 2012 at 3:13 am.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

juicyred is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Duckman for your wonderfully detailed reply. Very helpful information to have.

All the best,

Jo-Anne
Old Jun 29th 2012, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

cde219 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Folks

I have been reading all the posts on here and they very helpful so thankyou

I was just wondering if anyone had been for a medical with an eye condition?

Its just I have an accident last year on my right eye I ended up with a drill bit stuck in my eyeball and needed 2 operations to remove the drill bit and I needed a plastic lense implant.

I do have a small blind spot now however it doesn't bother me now and I don't have a problem with long distant sight so if you have read off the Letter board I will be fine and I still can drive and don't receive any treatment for it now but I am now worrying about my medical in case the DR decides as I have to be honest with the DR as the DR will see my implant as soon as they look in my eye that in the future it might cause me problems!

My consultant has told me it could be become a problem when I am older as there is a very slight chance my retina could detatch again but chances are very slim so its worrying me that we could get refused on my eye

any advice would be great and thanks in advance
Old Jun 30th 2012, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice

Originally Posted by cde219
Its just I have an accident last year on my right eye I ended up with a drill bit stuck in my eyeball and needed 2 operations to remove the drill bit and I needed a plastic lense implant.

I do have a small blind spot now however it doesn't bother me now and I don't have a problem with long distant sight so if you have read off the Letter board I will be fine and I still can drive and don't receive any treatment for it now but I am now worrying about my medical in case the DR decides as I have to be honest with the DR as the DR will see my implant as soon as they look in my eye that in the future it might cause me problems!
You do need to be totally honest, and you're right, they will be able to see the lens. Since your eye problem was caused by physical trauma, not disease, I would be very surprised if it was a problem.

The aim is to identify potential migrants who would place "excessive demand" on an on-going basis on Canada's healthcare system. Your eye problems don't sound like they'd cost any more to clear up surgically than someone who still had an appendix, which is most people, so I would think you'll be fine.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

cde219 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Duckman for replying and putting my mind at ease hopefully I can now stop stressing about this!

Mind I will probs find something else to worry about with my application now lol

Thanks again
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Jane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I just had a look at the meds form from the link that Helcat posted - very helpful, thanks. I noticed it asked about tatoos - are they are problem? My husband has a fair few!!

Thanks!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jane Barlow
I just had a look at the meds form from the link that Helcat posted - very helpful, thanks. I noticed it asked about tatoos - are they are problem? My husband has a fair few!!

Thanks!
On my medical they asked about where my tattoo was done and if they were sterilised equipment etc
Its no big deal.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:26 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I havent read the whole thread but I was surprised about the number of times I have read on BEs that ladies have the personal examination. We had ours done in Halifax, Nova Scotia and I didnt have to have a personal examination.
Added bonus was that we got a tax refund on $480 odd for our med costs on our tax return too
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I havent read the whole thread but I was surprised about the number of times I have read on BEs that ladies have the personal examination. We had ours done in Halifax, Nova Scotia and I didnt have to have a personal examination.
Added bonus was that we got a tax refund on $480 odd for our med costs on our tax return too
i was told the exams required as part of the medical depended on age/risk.

As a 29 year old female, no smear test or breast exam was done.