Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Just done our Medicals..our story & a couple of questions...!

Just done our Medicals..our story & a couple of questions...!

Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield UK - Victoria BC bound (one day, in a galaxy far, far away...)
witchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Just done our Medicals..our story & a couple of questions...!

Originally Posted by Lisahjah
Well we've got back from our medicals today. What was I worrying about!Two adults and three kids and hey they could not have done more to be helpful. We went to the bridgewater hospital in Manchester. Its a really modern place with one small area designated for emigration medicals, so no travelling for X-rays or blood tests as it was a room off the corridor. It was absolutely fantastic, and I only booked on Friday. The doctor was so friendly and made the children completely at ease with the exam, even when down to their under-ware. I would definitely recommend booking this place if possible.
Hi Lisa - would you mind telling me how much Manchester charged for adults and children, please?

Many thanks - and congrats on the progress!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Lisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really nice

The bridgewater charges adults £280 and children £75 each. They were not the cheapest but they offered the quickest appointment they actually offered the next day. I phone thursday and they offered Friday. We took the Monday in the end. If you're going with children they are great with them, they even have some toys in the waiting area. Good luck witchileiz
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Lisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really niceLisahjah is just really nice

Hi misskatpaw
We were going to go to the same one as you (colligate) but the next appointment was five weeks away, we decided we'd waited long enought that's why we went with bridgewater. I'm really glad we did I didn't fancy visiting two places with the kids in tow. Now just more waiting. It must be the story of our lives, waiting!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:36 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Hi misskatpaw
We were going to go to the same one as you (colligate) but the next appointment was five weeks away, we decided we'd waited long enought that's why we went with bridgewater. I'm really glad we did I didn't fancy visiting two places with the kids in tow. Now just more waiting. It must be the story of our lives, waiting!
Hiya,

Our appt was with 2wks notice, we thought we could just about manage that wait. Our nearest place was Leeds but the wait was 6wks and above! Balancing time & cost, New Collegiate was the best, however I could've done without the taxi & hospital debacle!

Here's hoping for swift PPR's for us

Can't even begin to imagine how I'll feel if that happens. Dare not hope too much, just in case!

Katie
Old Jan 24th 2012, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

CanadianDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by misskatpaw
Fantastic news! Wishing we'd have booked that place too but hey, it's done now!

Wondering how CanadianDream's med went to.......?

Katie
Hi

Well we had our medicals yesterday and lovely doctor, all in house services so fortunately no taxi rides for us.

All ok for Hubby and his son, but i was told i have got a heart murmur....

A total and utter shock for a fairly healthy (total thyroidectomy at 20years) 31 year old but been to see my GP today and need an Echocardiogram (a ultrasound of my heart) but the waiting times in my local trust are ridic 2-3 months so have decided to go privately and hopefully it will be done next week, for my own peace of mind.

Met a lovely radiographer who was taking my CXR had also had Thyroidectomy and she is immigrating to Toronto in two months, i burst into tears when she asked me how my day was going as i had not seen my husband since i was told about the murmur as we were separated during all the tests....Poor Girl she was very lovely to me.....the hysterical nut job!!

So now the waiting game......but thank goodness for this site as i have already read lots of threads in regards to murmurs and it has not prevented people from emmigrating.

Fingers crossed
Old Jan 24th 2012, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Heart murmurs are not a problem, my dad has one, he's has it all his life and had no trouble from it. Hopefully once you get the results apart from the discomfort of the test, you'll relax. Good luck
Old Jan 24th 2012, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

We did our medicals y'day, so thought it might be helpful to write a little report for others who will be going through this and also to get some feedback for us, from others who've done them!

We went to Manchester's New Collegiate Medical Centre, which was basically like any other doctors surgery you might go to. Got there an hour early to make sure we knew where it was etc. we decided to go for lunch beforehand as we were pretty hungry but I was nervous and in hindsight I wished I hadn't eaten before as I felt a bit sicky but looking at how long it all took, I'm glad I did or I'd have been fainting with hunger!

Our appt was at 1.30pm, both Marc & I were called through at the same time by same-gender Doc's. I found my woman doctor to be a bit formal, for the most part. I was asked to sit down & the quickfire round of med questions begun, whilst taking my blood pressure..."Have you ever had a stay in hospital, ever had an operation (back to childhood), have you ever had TB, have you lived in a house with someone with TB during the last 2yrs, ever been diagnosed with HIV, every had stomach or bowel problems, do your parents or siblings have Xxx (can't remember but didn't mention heart probs as thats the only one I could've said yes to). Then...how much do you drink on average a week and then specifically.."if you went to a party, how much would you drink in one night"!! I am of course a light drinker who doesn't binge drink

Anyway there were more Q's than that but I can't remember them all... I answered No to everything (I genuinely haven't ever had a stay in hosp in my 32yrs, or had an op) and Doc said, "that's unusual for someone living in the UK" and I thought, does she think I'm telling porkie-pies? I was careful not to try make things fit though, thinking that if I didn't say yes to something she'd think something wasn't right. Although I did try with" I have a bit of a wheat intolerance which sometimes gives me stomach/bowel problems", which she dismissed.
Sounds like a fun day out Katie I'm having mine done in Canada ( Kingston, ON) they don't take bookings over the phone so drove there yesterday to sort out a date (Feb 13) $280CAD Everything in the same building so there's a bonus. The doctors name is Ruth so hopefully she will not want to see the evidence if I mention I was circumsised a few years ago. I too have a cholesterol issue but will have my meds with me on the day (statins) I'm deaf in my left ear but will not cost them any money so will hopefully be ok. Have emailed cic as my wife had her medical 5 months ago (passed no probs) and it is my understanding it is valid for 12 months so as long as she lands before August 9th no problem (no reply from cic as yet)
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Beatrix Kiddo is an unknown quantity at this point

He had to get the little fella (sorry dear, the mahoosive fella):

Can I ask if there's much asked about the mental health side of things? (I can't get the link with the questions on it to work.) Would having been on antidepressants in the past (but not recently) be held against a person, do you think?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Heart murmurs are not a problem, my dad has one, he's has it all his life and had no trouble from it. Hopefully once you get the results apart from the discomfort of the test, you'll relax. Good luck
Thankyou Lisa. Good Luck to you

Anna
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Porkis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Katie for the OP, it was very useful.

However, having read the sheet showing what they ask you, I'm now going to ask the obvious question ..

How do they know that you're answering honestly?

What's to stop someone from basically saying no, when it should be yes?

Not that I've got anything to hide, but it just dawned on me .. this is all based on the person just answering the questions honestly, right?

Or is there some cross checking stage against your actual medical records?

Porkis

Last edited by Porkis; Jan 25th 2012 at 1:37 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 25th 2012, 8:19 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CanadianDreams
Hi

Well we had our medicals yesterday and lovely doctor, all in house services so fortunately no taxi rides for us.

All ok for Hubby and his son, but i was told i have got a heart murmur....

A total and utter shock for a fairly healthy (total thyroidectomy at 20years) 31 year old but been to see my GP today and need an Echocardiogram (a ultrasound of my heart) but the waiting times in my local trust are ridic 2-3 months so have decided to go privately and hopefully it will be done next week, for my own peace of mind.

Met a lovely radiographer who was taking my CXR had also had Thyroidectomy and she is immigrating to Toronto in two months, i burst into tears when she asked me how my day was going as i had not seen my husband since i was told about the murmur as we were separated during all the tests....Poor Girl she was very lovely to me.....the hysterical nut job!!

So now the waiting game......but thank goodness for this site as i have already read lots of threads in regards to murmurs and it has not prevented people from emmigrating.

Fingers crossed
Hi Anna,
Thx for letting us know how it went. I'm really sorry to hear something was found that you didn't know about I can't offer any experience or advice regarding the issue but from what others have said, I think I would feel much better about it as I don't think you should worry. Will keep my fingers crossed for you ! Katie

Originally Posted by CANADIAN CARPERS
Sounds like a fun day out Katie I'm having mine done in Canada ( Kingston, ON) they don't take bookings over the phone so drove there yesterday to sort out a date (Feb 13) $280CAD Everything in the same building so there's a bonus. The doctors name is Ruth so hopefully she will not want to see the evidence if I mention I was circumsised a few years ago. I too have a cholesterol issue but will have my meds with me on the day (statins) I'm deaf in my left ear but will not cost them any money so will hopefully be ok. Have emailed cic as my wife had her medical 5 months ago (passed no probs) and it is my understanding it is valid for 12 months so as long as she lands before August 9th no problem (no reply from cic as yet)
Hi CC,
Goodness knows how far you had to drive to book it?! I would've been double pi$$ed off if I'd have had to drive to Manc just to book it!!

Everything in same building is def a bonus good luck for 13/2!

Originally Posted by Porkis
Thanks Katie for the OP, it was very useful.

However, having read the sheet showing what they ask you, I'm now going to ask the obvious question ..

How do they know that you're answering honestly?

What's to stop someone from basically saying no, when it should be yes?

Not that I've got anything to hide, but it just dawned on me .. this is all based on the person just answering the questions honestly, right?

Or is there some cross checking stage against your actual medical records?

Porkis
Hi Porkis, I thought about all the same points you raised. As far as I know, there's no cross checking of your actual medical records. So yes, I do believe it's down to honesty. I think the honesty is best to avoid things biting you on the ass in the future and them suspending your PR and chucking you out of the country once you're all nice and settled

Katie
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Well I had my Echocardiogram yesterday as decided to go privately and had some great news.....There is NO MURMUR and as i'm a nurse within the trust where they did the test the cardiologist waivered his fee!!

Great news, but does make me concerned that the doctor in Oxford misdiagnosed me. He didn't say oh i think i can hear a murmur therefore you should have Echo...His exact words were "You have a stonking heart murmur"
Grade 4/5 which is quite loud!!

Oh well....Happy Days! Posting everything off on Mon!!
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

I'm glad all is well Canadiandreams. That's one more hurdle over and done with. The good news about the medicals you know you're fine and healthy. Next stage passport request please, I just don't want anymore long waits.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

I'm glad all is well Canadiandreams. That's one more hurdle over and done with. The good news about the medicals you know you're fine and healthy. Next stage passport request please, I just don't want anymore long waits.
Thankyou Lisa!

YES PLEASE CIC.....Send those passports!!

Have you sent off all your updated info and fee?

I'm going to order the bank draft today!

I've also booked two weeks off work in May hoping that could be a recce/activate pr card trip

Anna
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

No we've not sent off yet, just waiting on the police certificates.
You're optimistic holidays for may, I'm hoping we can make the move in the summer to tie in with the kids and school. Hopefully that should give us plenty of time. We've still got our house to sell!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.