Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Just checking my Visa is still valid

Just checking my Visa is still valid

Old Jan 20th 2012, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

leeds_sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just checking my Visa is still valid

I landed in canada in Aug 2008 with permanent resident card, I lived and worked there till 2010 when I returned to England, My wife and I are returning to Canada in June this year permanently with our daughter, My card is valid until 2013 does this mean I can just return and pick up where I left off?
Thanks in advance
Kirk.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just checking my Visa is still valid

Originally Posted by leeds_sparky
I landed in canada in Aug 2008 with permanent resident card, I lived and worked there till 2010 when I returned to England, My wife and I are returning to Canada in June this year permanently with our daughter, My card is valid until 2013 does this mean I can just return and pick up where I left off?
Thanks in advance
Kirk.
As long as you have or can meet the 730 day residency requirement then YES you can pick up where you left off.
BTW there is a date and month expiry on the PR card not 2013 as a whole.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeds_sparky
Thanks in advance
Kirk.
If your wife is a Canadian citizen (your only mentioning your own PR card, not your family) then you're all good. The 730 rule does not apply to you.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

I will be off to the official sites for a scout around, but if anyone knows the definitive answer off the top of their head, please chip in.

It looks as if we might be returning to canada in the summer (after July) and we will miss the 760 days by about 4-6 weeks as we left canada in june 2009 - so is there anything else I would need to do to satisfy the PR requirements?
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 6:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

As has already been mentioned, your wife is a Canadian Citizen and any time you spend abroad with her is counted as if you were in Canada. You can just renew your PR card when the time comes. Your PR status is valid.

See OP10 section 6.1

OP 10 - Permanent Residency Status Determination
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op10-eng.pdf