Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

July spousal application... Anyone any ideas on hold up?

July spousal application... Anyone any ideas on hold up?

Old Jan 27th 2012, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

sky_summers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default July spousal application... Anyone any ideas on hold up?

Hi everyone, haven't been on here in a little while, but starting to get a bit peeved with London again hence the rant! Anyway - Applied in July and sponsorship came through pretty quickly. The file then sat in London for 2 months before it changed to "In process." I then received an email asking for specific information, which I had already included with my application. So I emailed in and pointed out that this info was already on file and should it have been mislaid I would send a copy. I received an email back saying "the information we requested of you is on file and no copy is requested." I then received an email asking for proof that perm residence fee had been paid... I emailed in attaching a copy of the receipt showing that this has been paid. That was in December. I sent an email 2 weeks ago asking if any additional information was required and I received a reply 2 days ago stating "we have all the information requested of you." So i'm now thinking what on earth is the hold up! Anyone any ideas?? This is really starting to stress me out now. I have no convictions and have lived in the same country since birth so I know that part is pretty straightforward. My medicals were also spot on. Although i'm happy for those who rattle through the process quickly, It gets a little deflating when you see others apply later and get PPR before your own file has even gone to the "in process" stage It's now approaching the 7th month since we applied... I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to why this is taking so long!
Old Jan 27th 2012, 7:24 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July spousal application... Anyone any ideas on hold up?

The average processing time is 7 months as you note. As an average it is not very case specific. One thing that can drag on a case would be the background check and that depends on which and how many countries you have lived in. As I see it you could hear any time now unless you were a world traveler.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
The average processing time is 7 months as you note. As an average it is not very case specific. One thing that can drag on a case would be the background check and that depends on which and how many countries you have lived in. As I see it you could hear any time now unless you were a world traveler.
Hi Jim (and thanks for your help previously) Never been a world traveller... Lived in Scotland all my days, never any trouble with the law, and no medical issues. I assumed when they wanted proof of permanent residence fee that meant a decision was looming. After the response to my email 2 weeks ago though I got the impression they wouldn't have bothered to reply if I was going to get a decision soon. Do you think they still have to carry out additional checks? Any idea what I can do in 8 days or so when the 7 month mark has hit? Many thanks, your knowledge is appreciated!
Old Jan 28th 2012, 4:14 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

That 7 month mark is just the average processing time so there are plenty of cases that take longer unfortunately. You are close to it now so perhaps it will be your turn soon.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 4:28 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky_summers
Hi Jim (and thanks for your help previously) Never been a world traveller... Lived in Scotland all my days, never any trouble with the law, and no medical issues. I assumed when they wanted proof of permanent residence fee that meant a decision was looming. After the response to my email 2 weeks ago though I got the impression they wouldn't have bothered to reply if I was going to get a decision soon. Do you think they still have to carry out additional checks? Any idea what I can do in 8 days or so when the 7 month mark has hit? Many thanks, your knowledge is appreciated!
I know it's hard waiting, but really in the grand scheme of things it really isn't that long. You are lucky to be in a group of people being processed at a visa office that has a relatively rapid turnaround on spousal apps.

Just hold tight let them do their job and all will be fine.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

rebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

If it makes you feel any better, I applied for spousal sponsorship for my husbands PR through London back in July also, and he just got confirmation of permanent residence through a couple of days ago. I'm sure you'll hear within the next few weeks!
Old Jan 28th 2012, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Rebecca, you are showing me that light again at the end of the tunnel Thanks for your input guys... Can always count on someone on here making me feel bettter when i'm having one of those days!!
Old Jan 28th 2012, 5:08 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by sky_summers
Rebecca, you are showing me that light again at the end of the tunnel Thanks for your input guys... Can always count on someone on here making me feel bettter when i'm having one of those days!!

From Oct/10 to Oct/11 the processing times at London for spousal applications in months is as follows:

20% 30% 50% 70% 80%

Spouses & Partners 2 2 3 5 7
Old Jan 29th 2012, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

rebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to make you feel better! Don't get too disheartened, it won't be long Let us all know when it gets to you x
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:03 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Chin up girl! Yes, it is just the waiting that drives you crackers. That useless feeling that 'you' have done all you can, and then it's just in the lap of the God's - or probably, in a big pile of files in the corner of some bod's office. Since my spousal was approved, I have often thought how relatively easy it was for me (I didn't feel that way when I was filling out the blasted forms!) and how very difficult it is for some individuals who are applying for all manner of reasons, and how very much sheer grit and determination they show, and the patience that they need. I don't know that I have that, and I do so admire those that do.

It's a bit like a watched kettle. All of a sudden you will take your eyes off it and it will happen! Have you looked on the Spousal Link from London thread, I am sure you will find a number of them on there in the same boat - it doesn't make the waiting easier, but you will know that you aren't in an exclusive club.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 5:32 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Sky Summers,

I'll try and cheer you up. When I applied for PR (under FSW1) average processing time was quoted at 13 months. Last time I checked it was 23 months and we are still waiting. By comparison you are on a real winner

Good luck
Old Jan 30th 2012, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by james.mc
Sky Summers,

I'll try and cheer you up. When I applied for PR (under FSW1) average processing time was quoted at 13 months. Last time I checked it was 23 months and we are still waiting. By comparison you are on a real winner

Good luck
Oh, I know James... There is always someone worse off than myself. Tried to forget about it for a while but circumstances got me all worked up again! It just seemed to reach a point where so many others were getting PPR's and here's me still sitting! You of course, are in the same boat. Here's to some wishful thinking that we end up getting somewhere sometime soon!
Old Jan 30th 2012, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MillieF
Chin up girl! Yes, it is just the waiting that drives you crackers. That useless feeling that 'you' have done all you can, and then it's just in the lap of the God's - or probably, in a big pile of files in the corner of some bod's office. Since my spousal was approved, I have often thought how relatively easy it was for me (I didn't feel that way when I was filling out the blasted forms!) and how very difficult it is for some individuals who are applying for all manner of reasons, and how very much sheer grit and determination they show, and the patience that they need. I don't know that I have that, and I do so admire those that do.

It's a bit like a watched kettle. All of a sudden you will take your eyes off it and it will happen! Have you looked on the Spousal Link from London thread, I am sure you will find a number of them on there in the same boat - it doesn't make the waiting easier, but you will know that you aren't in an exclusive club.
Thanks Millie Followed the spousal threat for a while but stopped when those who had applied after me started to get PPR's lol. Just getting more and more anxious because i'm now 4 months pregnant now! I see you were headed to NB? Where abouts? My in-laws are there