IT Jobs in Canada

Old Jan 2nd 2005, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

graphicsdesigner is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation IT Jobs in Canada

Hi,

Could anyone help me get some information regarding the job situation in Canada.I am Working as a Web/Graphics Designer in Kerala, India.I would like to land at Toronto, as i heard that Toronto is having more opportunities.Is this correct?

Also Please let me know, what all things(professionally as a designer) should i prepare inorder to start working as a Designer in Canada.

For instance, about the portfolios.Is there any particular way which it should be created.Any educational updations needed to work in Canada.( i am a graduate in Business administration,have completed one Quick Pro course in Web Designing and E-commerce from IBM, training center.

Also what all things should i prepare, and bring from India inorder to get my qualifications assessed under the Canadian Standards once i have reached Canada.

I have refered to some of the job sites.Other than this if anyone can give personal experiences or opinions i would be thankful.

Regds
Pramod.P
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

viperrt10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Jobs in Canada

Hi there,

IT job hunters face grim prospects to say the least - you should look at the Lifestyle forum to find out more. Employers want candidtates with Canadian, or at the very least North American experience. Also they prefer locally educated people. One of my buddies who settled in Toronto had to work at Subway (as a sandwich artist ;-) for a while before he could find a decent job. He had a masters degree from a VERY decent US University and 3 years of IT consulting experience in Europe and America.

General consensus is that it's VERY difficult for newly landed foreign immigrants to find IT jobs immedietly. It takes time, loads of luck and mental strength.

Take care!

Originally Posted by graphicsdesigner
Hi,

Could anyone help me get some information regarding the job situation in Canada.I am Working as a Web/Graphics Designer in Kerala, India.I would like to land at Toronto, as i heard that Toronto is having more opportunities.Is this correct?

Also Please let me know, what all things(professionally as a designer) should i prepare inorder to start working as a Designer in Canada.

For instance, about the portfolios.Is there any particular way which it should be created.Any educational updations needed to work in Canada.( i am a graduate in Business administration,have completed one Quick Pro course in Web Designing and E-commerce from IBM, training center.

Also what all things should i prepare, and bring from India inorder to get my qualifications assessed under the Canadian Standards once i have reached Canada.

I have refered to some of the job sites.Other than this if anyone can give personal experiences or opinions i would be thankful.

Regds
Pramod.P
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 3:05 am
Dee

dee_us is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Jobs in Canada

Hey Pramod,

Heard that the job market is not so good in Toronto . I have a friend of mine whos a web developer ( I know its different from a webdesigner !) who has moved to Canada last august and hasnt got a job yet. Its not so easy at it looks from outside , but I am sure you could find something through references or through some consulting companies. Have you got any certifications ?? If you already recieved your PR , you may start applying for job through some canadian job sites . Atleast some consulting companies may respond . It might be a good start and once you move there and get a feel of the market , you can always switch .

-Dee

Originally Posted by graphicsdesigner
Hi,

Regds
Pramod.P
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Default Thank you

Hi dee_us,

Thank you very much for the info.I will try to find out some sites for job application.I would be thankfull if you could provide me some urls of really good job sites.

Regds
Pramod.P
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Default Thanq

Hello viperrt10,

Thank you very much for the information .I have already heard from many people that finding a job in our own area of expertise is very much difficult.Could you please let me know which is the best place , in Canada to live in, and with good job opportunities.

Thanks
PP