Wikiposts

IT jobs in Canada

Old Aug 31st 2004, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

kiny1919 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT jobs in Canada

I am a US Permanent resident and my husband is about to become a Canadian citizen. I recently graduated with a degree in Computer Information Systems and I have some microsoft certifications as well. My husband is going to sponsor me for Canada but I am not sure what's the condition for IT jobs in Canada esp. in the GTA. My husband didn't have a nice experience in finding a job according to his skills and expertise when he first moved here (from the US) and I am scared that I might have to go through the same thing? I would appreciate it if anyone can answer my question esp. anyone working in this field.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

MrsCanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT jobs in Canada

It took me 5 months (in 2003) of intense searching to find an IT (Network type)job in Ontario. I found the perfect job for me,I love it and my career path is bright. I still have all my job search sites set up from when I was looking and things come in all the time now. Tech it's getting better. IBM just annouced it will be hiring alot of people. IT is such a broad field so you will have to find your niche. Do you have any US IT work expierence? That's where your problem might lay if you don't, it would be the same in the US,though too.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsCanada
It took me 5 months (in 2003) of intense searching to find an IT (Network type)job in Ontario. I found the perfect job for me,I love it and my career path is bright. I still have all my job search sites set up from when I was looking and things come in all the time now. Tech it's getting better. IBM just annouced it will be hiring alot of people. IT is such a broad field so you will have to find your niche. Do you have any US IT work expierence? That's where your problem might lay if you don't, it would be the same in the US,though too.
Thanks for the reply. My emphasis is towards the networking side and that's where I want to work in. Since I just graduated, I don't have any work experience in IT as such, but I do have personal experience (helping freinds and family) in setting up LAN's, wireless networks and troubleshooting etc. It's just that everyone has to start somewhere and right now I am not thinking about finding my dream job but setting my foot in the right direction and since Canada is the country I am planning on moving to, I just want to make sure I am making the right decision
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 2:25 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few disgruntled IT professionals hanging out in the lifestyle area. It is a hard area to find a good job in right now, there are a lot of well qualified candidates around after the dot com bubble burst.

Good Luck, you will need it.

Iain
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Unfortunately level ones generally sneak into MIS departments from inside the companybecause someone likes em and have good attendence or something. (no training no experience,*we didn't post the job argh*) Drives the real techs mad. I'd loved to have someone like you that I could actually look to for a second opinion. I'm not the boss though.

If you can speak both French and English you'll have it made.Tons of jobs for bilingual tech support

I really don't think it'll will be any tougher in the GTA then in the US. Like I said try IBM. I think they like to hire fresh out of school.

Good luck.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 8:38 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsCanada
If you can speak both French and English you'll have it made.Tons of jobs for bilingual tech support
All paying what, $15-$20 an hour if your lucky?
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:44 am
squarepants

Yes.....am one of those digrunted members, it seems the lady above is painting a rosy picture, and making it sound so easy, I don't know where she is, but it ain't the same ontario am in.

Am also in IT, and it was damn well hard getting my foot through that door, networking with people was what got me in, and am on a contract now, not knowing if it's going to be renewed

Most of the folks I work with came from colleges ( not universities ), as co-ops, and people seem to move from one depatment to another, which leaves nothing to be advertised outside the company

Originally Posted by iaink
All paying what, $15-$20 an hour if your lucky?

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by squarepants
Yes.....am one of those digrunted members, it seems the lady above is painting a rosy picture, and making it sound so easy, I don't know where she is, but it ain't the same ontario am in.

Am also in IT, and it was damn well hard getting my foot through that door, networking with people was what got me in, and am on a contract now, not knowing if it's going to be renewed

Most of the folks I work with came from colleges ( not universities ), as co-ops, and people seem to move from one depatment to another, which leaves nothing to be advertised outside the company
Yes, you are right I have seen people with tons of IT certifications and still not having the job they wanted but then there are examples of people who start from scratch and reach the top...so I guess luck plays a role too...by the way which province in Canada is more likely to provide more IT jobs? I always thought about ontario as Canada's IT backbone...maybe i am wrong here
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 10:49 am
squarepants

Ontario is right up there, and then there is calgary. Just think of the 401 corridor here, from Toronto to misissauga, and waterloo ( rim, makers of blackberry ).

Originally Posted by kiny1919
Yes, you are right I have seen people with tons of IT certifications and still not having the job they wanted but then there are examples of people who start from scratch and reach the top...so I guess luck plays a role too...by the way which province in Canada is more likely to provide more IT jobs? I always thought about ontario as Canada's IT backbone...maybe i am wrong here

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

I said things are getting better. Not rosy,yet.But I do see more IT job postings then when I got here. Even in the local paper. I searched long and hard for my job. And yes,I got offer $10 an hour at one place. I'm lucky to have a non tech skill and got licensed in my trade so I didn't have to settle for a less than perfect IT position. All ten people that interviewed for the job I got were unemployed. I'm in the Kitchener-Waterloo Area. Didn't want to commute to GTA (my husband does).

If you go to a RIM job fair you are very likely to get an entry level position.