Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:56 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 29
Mags6666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

Hi

I am currently in Vancouver from the UK searching job opportunities in the health & wellness industry with the objective of hoping to obtain a Temporary Foreign Worker Visa via an employer.

I am degree qualified as a Nutritional Therapist and freelance privately back in the UK. I am not a Dietician who works in a hospital environment where there are probably more direct opportunities but am hoping there may be other full-time opportunities as a Nutritionist or eg. Sales Rep for a Nutritional Supplements Co.

My question is around the Job Title and applying for a successful LMO from the HRSDC. Does the Job Title need to be on the NOC and are certain Skill Levels more liable for approval than others
.[/B]

Currently the following titles are listed under Dieticians & Nutritionists 3132. Does this mean an employer can use any of these and the position qualifies?

• administrative dietitian
• administrative nutritionist
• clinical dietitian
• clinical nutritionist
• community dietitian
• community nutritionist
• consultant dietitian
• consultant nutritionist
• dietetic consultant
• dietetic educator
• dietetic researcher
• dietitian
• dietitian, administrative
• dietitian, community
• dietitian, consultant
• dietitian, professional
• dietitian, public health
• dietitian, registered
• dietitian, research
• dietitian, therapeutic
• dietitian-nutritionist
• dietitian/nutritionist, registered
• nutrition and dietetics researcher
• nutrition consultant
• nutrition educator
• nutrition researcher
• nutritionist
• nutritionist, administrative
• nutritionist, community
• nutritionist, consultant
• nutritionist, public health
• nutritionist, registered
• nutritionist, therapeutic
• P.Dt. (professional dietitian)
• private practice dietitian
• professional dietitian (P.Dt.)
• professional dietitian, registered
• professional nutritionist
• public health dietitian
• public health nutritionist
• RD (registered dietitian)
• RDN (registered dietitian-nutritionist)
• registered dietitian (RD)
• registered dietitian-nutritionist (RDN)
• registered nutritionist
• registered professional dietitian
• registered professional nutritionist
• research dietitian
• research nutritionist
• therapeutic dietitian
• therapeutic nutritionist

A brief telephone consultation with an Immigration Agent highlighted that my title as Nutritionist qualified but a Sales Rep for a Nutrition Co would not?? She said the 2nd digit of the four digit code assigned to the job title must not be higher than 3 in order to qualify?

CONCLUSION - I don't want to waste my time pursuing job titles that will not qualify or be met with a poor success rate for a LMO from the HRSDC.

Any feedback clarifying the process or best route to take for LMO success would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Mags6666 is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2009, 11:46 am
  #2  
Dive Bar Drunk
 
JamesM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,649
JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

Originally Posted by Mags6666
Hi

I am currently in Vancouver from the UK searching job opportunities in the health & wellness industry with the objective of hoping to obtain a Temporary Foreign Worker Visa via an employer.

I am degree qualified as a Nutritional Therapist and freelance privately back in the UK. I am not a Dietician who works in a hospital environment where there are probably more direct opportunities but am hoping there may be other full-time opportunities as a Nutritionist or eg. Sales Rep for a Nutritional Supplements Co.

My question is around the Job Title and applying for a successful LMO from the HRSDC. Does the Job Title need to be on the NOC and are certain Skill Levels more liable for approval than others
.[/B]

Currently the following titles are listed under Dieticians & Nutritionists 3132. Does this mean an employer can use any of these and the position qualifies?

• administrative dietitian
• administrative nutritionist
• clinical dietitian
• clinical nutritionist
• community dietitian
• community nutritionist
• consultant dietitian
• consultant nutritionist
• dietetic consultant
• dietetic educator
• dietetic researcher
• dietitian
• dietitian, administrative
• dietitian, community
• dietitian, consultant
• dietitian, professional
• dietitian, public health
• dietitian, registered
• dietitian, research
• dietitian, therapeutic
• dietitian-nutritionist
• dietitian/nutritionist, registered
• nutrition and dietetics researcher
• nutrition consultant
• nutrition educator
• nutrition researcher
• nutritionist
• nutritionist, administrative
• nutritionist, community
• nutritionist, consultant
• nutritionist, public health
• nutritionist, registered
• nutritionist, therapeutic
• P.Dt. (professional dietitian)
• private practice dietitian
• professional dietitian (P.Dt.)
• professional dietitian, registered
• professional nutritionist
• public health dietitian
• public health nutritionist
• RD (registered dietitian)
• RDN (registered dietitian-nutritionist)
• registered dietitian (RD)
• registered dietitian-nutritionist (RDN)
• registered nutritionist
• registered professional dietitian
• registered professional nutritionist
• research dietitian
• research nutritionist
• therapeutic dietitian
• therapeutic nutritionist

A brief telephone consultation with an Immigration Agent highlighted that my title as Nutritionist qualified but a Sales Rep for a Nutrition Co would not?? She said the 2nd digit of the four digit code assigned to the job title must not be higher than 3 in order to qualify?

CONCLUSION - I don't want to waste my time pursuing job titles that will not qualify or be met with a poor success rate for a LMO from the HRSDC.

Any feedback clarifying the process or best route to take for LMO success would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Hi there

The job title needs to be under NOC codes 0, A or B before it is eligible.

The employer then needs to prove that they tried to recruit a permanent resident usually with 6 weeks of advertising. I believe this is nationally but not sure?

The pay you recieve also has to be positive or neutral.

I had a work permit rejected purely on the basis that my basic salary was below the national average for that job.

I hope this helps clarify the boxes that need to be ticked for LMO.
JamesM is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:16 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 29
Mags6666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

Hi James

Thanks for the reply.

OK, that is useful info. knowing the occupation has to be in Skill Level O, A or B. Fortunately, Nutritionist is but if I wanted to pursue a a Sales Rep for a Nutrition Company, would not it seems

I was told by the Immigration Agent that the employee pays for the LMO - is that correct and would you know how much it is?

Sorry to hear you didn't get your work permit on that occasion. Did you have any luck elsewhere? Do you now live in Canada?
Mags6666 is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:23 pm
  #4  
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 187
dunniflat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

you do not pay for labour market opinion applications..you only pay for the work permit $150!
dunniflat is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:29 pm
  #5  
Dive Bar Drunk
 
JamesM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,649
JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

Originally Posted by Mags6666
Hi James

Thanks for the reply.

OK, that is useful info. knowing the occupation has to be in Skill Level O, A or B. Fortunately, Nutritionist is but if I wanted to pursue a a Sales Rep for a Nutrition Company, would not it seems

I was told by the Immigration Agent that the employee pays for the LMO - is that correct and would you know how much it is?

Sorry to hear you didn't get your work permit on that occasion. Did you have any luck elsewhere? Do you now live in Canada?
I'm heading back next month on a PR Visa. That was 4.5 years ago now. Feels like it was yesterday =)
JamesM is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:48 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 29
Mags6666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

Originally Posted by dunniflat
you do not pay for labour market opinion applications..you only pay for the work permit $150!
Thanks Dunniflat! So is there also no cost to the employer in applying for the LMO? I have a potential interview coming up and will need to be armed with accurate information particularly if they are unfamiliar with the visa process and I do not want to involve an Immigration Agent!
Mags6666 is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:51 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 29
Mags6666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

Originally Posted by James Martindale
I'm heading back next month on a PR Visa. That was 4.5 years ago now. Feels like it was yesterday =)
Are you currently in the UK then and have never actually lived in Canada yet but gone via the Skilled Worker Visa route and not the Temporary Foreign Worker route? Hope I am not being too nosey but just interested/curious to see how everyone manages to get in!
Mags6666 is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:02 pm
  #8  
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 187
dunniflat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

Originally Posted by Mags6666
Are you currently in the UK then and have never actually lived in Canada yet but gone via the Skilled Worker Visa route and not the Temporary Foreign Worker route? Hope I am not being too nosey but just interested/curious to see how everyone manages to get in!
hi mags6666,

we are currently living just outside innisfail ,alberta..we have been here since august 2007..awaiting ainp nomination via employer route!

the employer applies for the labour market opinion number which does not cost anything ...he has to advertise your job for at least 2 weeks on at least 2 different websites ( i reccomend www.jobbank.ca and kijiji!) and then your employer basically sends this along with the foreign worker application and within 3 months you should have your lmo number ..this is what allows you to get your work permit which you do pay for ($150)
good luck
dunniflat is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:44 am
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 29
Mags6666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

OK, thanks again.

Does the LMO take at least 3 months and definitely not more or could it be a lot less time than that or is it a case of 'how long is a piece of string?!'. Just trying to get my timeframes correct as have an informal interview on Wed!
Mags6666 is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:00 am
  #10  
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 187
dunniflat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

Originally Posted by Mags6666
OK, thanks again.

Does the LMO take at least 3 months and definitely not more or could it be a lot less time than that or is it a case of 'how long is a piece of string?!'. Just trying to get my timeframes correct as have an informal interview on Wed!
i was told by the by an ainp officer to expect a 3 month wait on l.m.o.....any sooner would be a bonus !
dunniflat is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:25 am
  #11  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,092
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

Originally Posted by Mags6666
OK, thanks again.

Does the LMO take at least 3 months and definitely not more or could it be a lot less time than that or is it a case of 'how long is a piece of string?!'. Just trying to get my timeframes correct as have an informal interview on Wed!
Can be as quick as 2 weeks, or as long as 6 months. No way of knowing I'm afraid!

Good luck with the interview.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:49 am
  #12  
Dive Bar Drunk
 
JamesM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,649
JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

Originally Posted by Mags6666
Are you currently in the UK then and have never actually lived in Canada yet but gone via the Skilled Worker Visa route and not the Temporary Foreign Worker route? Hope I am not being too nosey but just interested/curious to see how everyone manages to get in!
No- I was there for a year in 2004/2005 on a Work Holiday Visa via BUNAC.
JamesM is offline  
Old Dec 15th 2009, 11:49 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 29
Mags6666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

Originally Posted by dunniflat
i was told by the by an ainp officer to expect a 3 month wait on l.m.o.....any sooner would be a bonus !
Hi,

I spoke to a lady at HRSDC today where they issue the LMO's and she said it would currently take no longer than 3-4 weeks to process. When I said 3 months she said not at all. Thought you might like to know!
Mags6666 is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:19 am
  #14  
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,609
AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

Originally Posted by Mags6666
Hi,

I spoke to a lady at HRSDC today where they issue the LMO's and she said it would currently take no longer than 3-4 weeks to process. When I said 3 months she said not at all. Thought you might like to know!
AINP is Alberta so it could well be taking 3 months there and less in other Provinces.
AmyDavid is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:23 am
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 29
Mags6666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job titles & higher chances of approved Labour Market Opinion

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
AINP is Alberta so it could well be taking 3 months there and less in other Provinces.
Yeah, I'm sure it is probably just different in each territory. Well, I'm interested in BC...so 3-4 wks sounds good to me and just thought people might like to know if BC is their chosen territory too.
Mags6666 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.