Wikiposts

Job searching.... when to do it?

Old May 11th 2010, 12:14 am
JTN
Just Joined

JTN is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Job searching.... when to do it?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. I am planning to try and move to Canada with the prospect of saying permanently. I'm 26, British and employed in the UK. I am currently on a trip for approx 3 weeks in Canada for a holiday at the moment, however I am unsure whether to try and apply for jobs while I am here and then try to fly over on a work permit if I do get one; or apply from the UK in the hope of getting a job remotely and then flying over with a work permit.... how do you guys play it? I am not particularly keen on using an agency as they appear to just try to charge x thousand for their services?

Cheers

J
Old May 11th 2010, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Job searching.... when to do it?

Welcome to BE :-)

If you are serious about moving and finding work, I would forget about the trip as being a holiday, and make the most of your time in Canada to reach out and have coffee with as many people as humanly possible...recruiters, employers etc. ... it'll be you best opportunity, so grab it!

The job market here is completely different to the UK. It's all about contacts and networking. I hadn't realized how much so until I arrived.

I think the majority on here go via the skilled worker route, get PR in the UK and then find work. There are a handful who go the TWP route, like myself, as another means of getting here, then go on to apply for PR (assuming they qualify, points etc.)

Good luck!
Old May 11th 2010, 12:54 am
JTN
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spaceace
Welcome to BE :-)

If you are serious about moving and finding work, I would forget about the trip as being a holiday, and make the most of your time in Canada to reach out and have coffee with as many people as humanly possible...recruiters, employers etc. ... it'll be you best opportunity, so grab it!

The job market here is completely different to the UK. It's all about contacts and networking. I hadn't realized how much so until I arrived.

I think the majority on here go via the skilled worker route, get PR in the UK and then find work. There are a handful who go the TWP route, like myself, as another means of getting here, then go on to apply for PR (assuming they qualify, points etc.)

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply!!! I don't really know anyone here, would recruiters be a good place to start?
Old May 11th 2010, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JTN
Thanks for the reply!!! I don't really know anyone here, would recruiters be a good place to start?
Yes. Also target the companies you want to work for, give them a call.

LinkedIn is also a great way to network.
Old May 11th 2010, 1:27 am
JTN
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spaceace
Yes. Also target the companies you want to work for, give them a call.

LinkedIn is also a great way to network.
May I ask your recommendation then as to how to approach them on the phone? I feel very daunted, do I speak to HR and ask about positions available?
Old May 11th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JTN
Couple of things I did was used LinkedIn and meetup.com.

Made lots of connections on LinkedIn with people I didnt know but were in Canada in my profession. When I went over offered to buy them coffee and chat. Met lots of good people, got lots of good suggestions, and made good connections.

I also joined meetup.com and went to few networking events while I was in Canada. Again events in my profession and also events by British expat groups. very useful to make connections.

You do need to network and meet people to find out about jobs.

Ray
Old May 11th 2010, 2:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JTN
May I ask your recommendation then as to how to approach them on the phone? I feel very daunted, do I speak to HR and ask about positions available?
You really need to read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which literally gives you a step by step guide as to what to say, along with loads of other useful hints & tips.

Good luck.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:13 am
JTN
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You really need to read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which literally gives you a step by step guide as to what to say, along with loads of other useful hints & tips.

Good luck.
Thank you all very much for your useful replies