Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Job references from non-cooperative employers!!!!!

Job references from non-cooperative employers!!!!!

Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:09 am
Officially Expats!!!

maxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to all
Unhappy Job references from non-cooperative employers!!!!!

Hi,

My Wife and I moved to BC last January and have spent the last year (and almost all of our savings) re-training and obtaining Canadian qualifications to aid our PR application.

Out of blue, and after only 2 years waiting, we have received our 90 day letter from CHC. Whilst we have both retrained and are seeking new careers, our application for SW is based on my previous career - and that's the problem.

I spent 18 years working for HM Government in a very specialized field. On resigning I asked for references, etc. and was told that they wouldn't supply them. After a good few bouts I finally got a letter stating that they could confirm that I worked for the Home Office but that was it. Part of the problem with this is that I never worked for the Home Office (I was told that this was for my protection!!). Anyway to cut a long and boring story short I finally got a letter confirming my service, rank and discipline but that's it. Their policy (and it's not who you are probably thinking of) is not to give references or any information about duties performed.

So in a nutshell I'm unable to supply any official proof of my job, roles, duties, responsibilities, where, when, etc, except for a 1 paragraph non-descript letter.

Anyone had any similar experience or have any suggestions?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:18 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job references from non-cooperative employers!!!!!

Originally Posted by maxrevs
Hi,

My Wife and I moved to BC last January and have spent the last year (and almost all of our savings) re-training and obtaining Canadian qualifications to aid our PR application.

Out of blue, and after only 2 years waiting, we have received our 90 day letter from CHC. Whilst we have both retrained and are seeking new careers, our application for SW is based on my previous career - and that's the problem.

I spent 18 years working for HM Government in a very specialized field. On resigning I asked for references, etc. and was told that they wouldn't supply them. After a good few bouts I finally got a letter stating that they could confirm that I worked for the Home Office but that was it. Part of the problem with this is that I never worked for the Home Office (I was told that this was for my protection!!). Anyway to cut a long and boring story short I finally got a letter confirming my service, rank and discipline but that's it. Their policy (and it's not who you are probably thinking of) is not to give references or any information about duties performed.

So in a nutshell I'm unable to supply any official proof of my job, roles, duties, responsibilities, where, when, etc, except for a 1 paragraph non-descript letter.

Anyone had any similar experience or have any suggestions?
The best approach to take here partly depends on why you need the reference letter. If you were trying to prove that you had an occupation in the List of 38 occupations that you must have experience in to be eligible to apply as a Skilled Worker now then there is no question that you will need to come up with evidence of the actual duties you performed. But, if you applied under the old rules, as a minimum you need to provide eveidence that your occupation was in Skill Level 0, A or B. Would this letter containing your Service, Rank and Discipline be sufficient to establish the skill level of your occupation do you think?

Are you able to supply a copy of your employment contract or are you prohibited from doing that?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:32 am
Officially Expats!!!

maxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to all

Would this letter containing your Service, Rank and Discipline be sufficient to establish the skill level of your occupation do you think?

Are you able to supply a copy of your employment contract or are you prohibited from doing that?
Apart from management level of my rank, the letter could apply to anyone whether they be in HR, admin, policy, or myself as an operational officer. In doing so proving a specific NOC code (which is a grey area in itself) could be problematic.

As far as contract goes, that's a non-starter!!!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:08 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maxrevs
Apart from management level of my rank, the letter could apply to anyone whether they be in HR, admin, policy, or myself as an operational officer. In doing so proving a specific NOC code (which is a grey area in itself) could be problematic.

As far as contract goes, that's a non-starter!!!
If you are in Canada now, you could try calling the CIC call centre and see what they propose in your situation. You would have to provide the NOC code you feel is the closest fit.

I thought that's what you would say about the contract. If you wrote down the details of your job (including duties) would someone you worked with be allowed to provide a letter stating they believed it to be an accurate account of your occupation?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:03 am
Officially Expats!!!

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
If you are in Canada now, you could try calling the CIC call centre and see what they propose in your situation. You would have to provide the NOC code you feel is the closest fit.

I thought that's what you would say about the contract. If you wrote down the details of your job (including duties) would someone you worked with be allowed to provide a letter stating they believed it to be an accurate account of your occupation?
Thanks Paul, I can certainly give it a try. I doubt that there is a lot of case precedent here (I know of other associated agencies that are far more helpful towards previous employees) and that it'll come down to the individual examining officers to make their assessment. I guess the more I can supply to support my 'claims' the better.