Job reference letters

Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Shredder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job reference letters

The London Office instructions state reference letters should include:

• the specific period of your employment with the company
• the positions you have held during the period of employment and the time spent
in each position
• your main responsibilities in each position
• your total annual salary plus benefits
• the signature of your immediate supervisor or the personnel officer of the
company
• a business card of the person signing

In my experience (and I have a couple already collected), employers have a standard format and it doesn't necessarily include salary, responsibilities. I've never come across one "stamped with the company's seal". Also, the signer hasn't included a business card.

Anyone think it will matter?

Last edited by Shredder; Apr 9th 2009 at 8:22 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Job reference letters

Originally Posted by Shredder

• the positions you have held during the period of employment and the time spent
in each position
company

In my experience (and I have a couple already collected), employers have a standard format and it doesn't necessarily include salary, responsibilities. I've never come across one "stamped with the company's seal". Also, the signer hasn't included a business card.

Rather than asking for a "reference letter", just ask for a letter with that bullet-point list, stressing the importance of the information. You aren't necessarily going to get everything thing you ask for. My guess is, they want a decent picture of whether your employment was legitimate.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Shredder

in each position
company

I had the whole range of responses. One employer included everything I asked for. Another included some things in the letter and then a stamped copy of the job description they used when hiring me. A third refused to give anything except their bog standard reference. I think you just have to get what you can and go with that.

That said, they all were happy to stamp contracts and anything else they sent (though this was with an internal HR stamp, not the company seal).
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

Hi

I couldn't get a stamp for 2 reference letters and also didn't get a business card (had compliments slip instead) for one employer. I just that fact I couldn't get these in my covering letter.

I haven't heard back yet from CHC London so not sure whether ok but if a company hasn't got a stamp then there isn't much you can do!

As for salary I was lucky that all my previous employers put this on letter- not sure why an employer wouldn't but maybe you could include some payslips from the job if they wont'.

Hope this helps!

Lucy
Old Apr 10th 2009, 8:42 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Legally business are not entitled to give you anything more than a standard reference. I think the CHC must accept that it is not always possible to supply the required information. I am about to start a new job and I will not be asking for all of this from the new employer as it will clearly jeopardise my employment.