Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Job offer! Scared/ anxious/ what now - anyone else in the same boat !

Job offer! Scared/ anxious/ what now - anyone else in the same boat !

Old Nov 25th 2016, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer! Scared/ anxious/ what now - anyone else in the same boat !

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
I fully understand and the timescales are quite unreal - we only had a short time to decide but had been leading up to it for a while, so it wasn't as out of the blue as your experience, also our children were younger, so the implications weren't as drastic. I was only trying to reassure you as a mother.
I don't know the ages of your other children, but one thing we did find unexpected, mostly in a good way, was that there are few British teenagers around. Lots of British adults but most people move at a younger age, so their children are, and sound, Canadian which ours never have! They both ended up doing a lot of 'emceeing' at school concerts because of their accents.
Ahh! That put a smile on my face !! My other two are 13 and 14. The youngest, my daughter is so excited. My 14 year old son is very laid back and just 'goes with it'! I think has long as he has his PlayStation he will go anywhere!!! But yes, I'm excited for them to make new friends too . I'm sure they will adapt easily. It looks like the first rounds only the IEC are happening from Monday so next week may well tell (hopefully) another positive story !! Thanks so much for the confidence. It's such a daunting experience but I'm so grateful to have the support from here!! Who would have thought two weeks ago I was walking my dogs and just decided to approach the family!!!!! And now look where we are!!! Still have a million miles to go but getting there !!!
Old Nov 26th 2016, 9:34 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer! Scared/ anxious/ what now - anyone else in the same boat !

Originally Posted by Victoria34
Ahh! That put a smile on my face !! My other two are 13 and 14. The youngest, my daughter is so excited. My 14 year old son is very laid back and just 'goes with it'! I think has long as he has his PlayStation he will go anywhere!!! But yes, I'm excited for them to make new friends too . I'm sure they will adapt easily. It looks like the first rounds only the IEC are happening from Monday so next week may well tell (hopefully) another positive story !! Thanks so much for the confidence. It's such a daunting experience but I'm so grateful to have the support from here!! Who would have thought two weeks ago I was walking my dogs and just decided to approach the family!!!!! And now look where we are!!! Still have a million miles to go but getting there !!!
I'm confused... 2 weeks ago after a long time (5 years) of deliberation and questions you were going for an American visa, had you not told family about those plans- although getting a visa may have been tricky to say the list it seems - why the sudden switch to Canada
Old Nov 26th 2016, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I'm confused... 2 weeks ago after a long time (5 years) of deliberation and questions you were going for an American visa, had you not told family about those plans- although getting a visa may have been tricky to say the list it seems - why the sudden switch to Canada
No need to be confused. Five years ago we were briefly looking into America as much of my work is out the but decided against it as timing was wrong. Then again this year we re-visited the thoughts of US and were putting the feelers out about the visa but hadn't told our kids because we were aware that it was difficult . As it transpired, I was eligible for a visa but my husband couldn't work out there so was considering the investment route but then decided against it for several reasons. Canada has always been an equal favourite but as I knew a lot of people in certain parts of the states, we were edging more towards the US. So I literally decided Canada two weeks ago, spoke to the family and the rest they say, is history. So we haven't been contemplating this solidly for five years.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 9:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

No need to be confused. Five years ago we were briefly looking into America as much of my work is out the but decided against it as timing was wrong. Then again this year we re-visited the thoughts of US and were putting the feelers out about the visa but hadn't told our kids because we were aware that it was difficult . As it transpired, I was eligible for a visa but my husband couldn't work out there so was considering the investment route but then decided against it for several reasons. Canada has always been an equal favourite but as I knew a lot of people in certain parts of the states, we were edging more towards the US. So I literally decided Canada two weeks ago, spoke to the family and the rest they say, is history. So we haven't been contemplating this solidly for five years.
Glad to hear you chose to come to the 'better' Country!

US's loss, our gain..

Old Nov 26th 2016, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Glad to hear you chose to come to the 'better' Country!

US's loss, our gain..

Aww thanks Siouxie !!! Can we have a BE party when I finally get there! I think I owe you all quite a few drinks for all the help!!!! 😀🎉 🇨🇦 🍾!
Old Nov 29th 2016, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Here I go again - Monday morning panic - MMP!

I have looked at the documents needed for Deemed Rehabilitation and they state you need a letter from the courts.

I must have been given about 15 different numbers to call, being pushed from pillar to post and no one can help me! I have emailed the court and left a message on the Canadian Embassy in London - not sure what else I can do !

On the CIC website, it states that you should deem yourself rehabilitated in any case albeit I got banned from driving back in June 2003. The only proof I have of it at the moment is on my old paper driving licence counterpart and my stress level is beyond the ability to rise !!

What do I do other than find some Valium !!!! I don't want to be turned away at the POE! I was up half the night fretting about this !
I am being sponsored by my company to relocate, company providing law company to process the application.

I too had a DUI, going back to 1992. It caused no end of issues and delays. As yes I needed a letter from the court, but unless I could provide the month of the court date for the conviction they could not assist as everything was paper based. I explained this my immigration lawyer and said there is nothing more I can do. Have you contacted ie phoned the court you attended for the sentence as they are the ones that can help.

Since the DUI offence is over 10 years old it will not appear on your police check, it did not appear in my case. Have you renewed your driving license since the period of having of it listed on your driving license has expired? If the conviction is still on your driving license i suggest you look to getting it renewed so it is removed.

I had to write a statuary declaration explaining the incident and remorse which then had to be witnessed and countersigned by one of the professions on the approved list.

As for the deemed rehabilitation, you should be fine but ultimately the final decision is with the Canadian government. But it takes longer to approve and will probably add some additional costs to your visa application.

Good luck.