Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Job offer! Scared/ anxious/ what now - anyone else in the same boat !

Job offer! Scared/ anxious/ what now - anyone else in the same boat !

Old Nov 20th 2016, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer! Scared/ anxious/ what now - anyone else in the same boat !

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Nope, he'll have a year to enter Canada and activate the IEC.

Yes, although you'll need to be careful if considering a study permit. For a study permit, you have to show ties to your home country and proof that you'll return to it after your studies - so think carefully about how he'll be able to meet that criteria if his family is in Canada with him!

It would be no problem at all.

Do get him applying for the IEC asap, as there are only 5000 visas available, and already more applications than that in the pool, so to give him the best chance you ideally want to get an application in very soon.

HTH, good luck to him and you!
Knew I could rely on you CO! Thank you!

Obviously as per previous discussions on here, if they upped the age, then we would put him on our PR application. Thanks again.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer! Scared/ anxious/ what now - anyone else in the same boat !

Originally Posted by Victoria34
Hello lovelies

Given all this a lot of thought over the weekend !

I have spoken to my nearly 19 year old son, and we think it would be best for him to apply for an IEC for now, get out to BC and then take the time to look at universities for him to take his degree (which I don't think start until mid next year anyhow).

I have gone through the Come to Canada wizard and it tells me he is eligible to apply and have given me a reference number.

So , and this is really for reassurance before we apply !!

If he does get an invite to apply and eventually gets the visa, does he have to go out straight away?

Can he change from an IEC to Student Visa (I am pretty certain the answer is yes)

If the IEC was accepted and we were not ready to leave the UK, say for a few months, could he decline the invitation and then apply for a student visa instead or would declining have a negative effect on his case file?

Obviously, we are hoping the age is upped next year to 22 !!

If all good, we shall go for it.

Thank you !
Regarding the IEC. Once a person gets a Letter of Introduction they then have 12 months to enter Canada and then be issued with a 2 year work permit.
Yes they can apply to be a student at any time.
Yes the age will probably go back up to 22 for dependent children in 2017.
Just hope he decides not to get married before the age off 22 as then he is no longer considered a dependent child.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Regarding the IEC. Once a person gets a Letter of Introduction they then have 12 months to enter Canada and then be issued with a 2 year work permit.
Yes they can apply to be a student at any time.
Yes the age will probably go back up to 22 for dependent children in 2017.
Just hope he decides not to get married before the age off 22 as then he is no longer considered a dependent child.

I am not ready to be someones mother in law just yet !!! Thanks so much !!
Old Nov 20th 2016, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Do you state that they are planning to do some work out there even if you don't know if he will be able to get a job !! I am just wondering whether that will go for or against his profile.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Do you state that they are planning to do some work out there even if you don't know if he will be able to get a job !! I am just wondering whether that will go for or against his profile.
The whole point of the IEC is a work permit for 2 years to work in Canada. Don't worry about the PR stuff yet as you have no control over it.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks - all done so have fingers and toes crossed !! Really appreciate the help !
Old Nov 20th 2016, 2:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, hope he gets selected.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Good luck, hope he gets selected.
Me too !! Else will have to look at the student visa !!! Thank you !
Old Nov 20th 2016, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

Oh lordy. I have just seen that Police certs are required in most cases upon ITA.

He lost his licence for three months and had to pay a small fine due to driving a friends car without insurance (he actually thought he was insured third party as he had fully comp insurance on his own car). Surely this would go against him?
Old Nov 20th 2016, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh lordy. I have just seen that Police certs are required in most cases upon ITA.

He lost his licence for three months and had to pay a small fine due to driving a friends car without insurance (he actually thought he was insured third party as he had fully comp insurance on his own car). Surely this would go against him?
Not always as offences like that are not usually equated under a Federal Statute in Canada. The offence must be disclosed and police Certificate submitted. CIC will then make the decision. IMHO don't lose sleep over it. Do what is required and then wait.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Not always as offences like that are not usually equated under a Federal Statute in Canada. The offence must be disclosed and police Certificate submitted. CIC will then make the decision. IMHO don't lose sleep over it. Do what is required and then wait.
Thanks . I've been frantically reading up on it. Apparently driving uninsured in Canada is not classed as a criminal offence but not sure whether to believe that as it wasn't on this forum !

Hopefully all will be ok .
Old Nov 20th 2016, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Oh gosh. And another problem now reading into this side of things more.

Just over 13 years ago I was incredibly stupid and drove whilst under influence of drink . I was banned for 18 months (quite rightly) and it was my first and last offence .

I keep reading that it will affect me getting PR which is a major issue as I have this job offer now. I knew things were going to smoothly . I'm meant to be finalising and accepting this job tomorrow . Jeez. What a situation to be in.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 6:08 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Oh gosh. And another problem now reading into this side of things more.

Just over 13 years ago I was incredibly stupid and drove whilst under influence of drink . I was banned for 18 months (quite rightly) and it was my first and last offence .

I keep reading that it will affect me getting PR which is a major issue as I have this job offer now. I knew things were going to smoothly . I'm meant to be finalising and accepting this job tomorrow . Jeez. What a situation to be in.
Should be OK from what you say Deemed rehabilitation
Old Nov 20th 2016, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
Should be OK from what you say Deemed rehabilitation
Just looked at that - phew!!! Never drunk after that either......was a very stupid moment in my life and only drove 1/2 mile. Deserved what I got though.

So I don't actually have to make any kind of declaration because it was over ten years ago although I can go to the embassy.

Thanks, that's problem number 67209 ticked off the list then !

Last edited by Victoria34; Nov 20th 2016 at 6:13 am.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just looked at that - phew!!! Never drunk after that either......was a very stupid moment in my life and only drove 1/2 mile. Deserved what I got though.

So I don't actually have to make any kind of declaration because it was over ten years ago although I can go to the embassy.

Thanks, that's problem number 67209 ticked off the list then !
When filling out the forms you declare it. You will eventually have to submit a police certificate and providing that the sentence imposed was completed in full and that is the only criminal offence then you will be deemed rehabilitated and nothing else to do unless CIC ask for additional information.

Only 100,000 more to tick off then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.