Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Job offer! Scared/ anxious/ what now - anyone else in the same boat !

Job offer! Scared/ anxious/ what now - anyone else in the same boat !

Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job offer! Scared/ anxious/ what now - anyone else in the same boat !

Thanks to Christmasoompa , I have had the most phenomenal amount of information in the past few days after my family and I decided to make the decision in moving and so based on all that I applied for a great job which I have just accepted ! Now I am petrified!!! I'm a wife and mum of three (and two dogs) and this has all happened extremely quickly so I wondered how everyone else deals with it and what their experiences were! I also have a couple of questions .

I can't decide which visa . We are in a huge predicament as the eldest turns 19 mid Jan. I am aware that the age can be locked in when the application is made but we haven't done the language tests yet which I'm still confused as to whether this will affect my points if we didn't do them to save time as they were very low without the job offer . I'm also aware that the point system is changing this weekend but unsure if this is going to affect the job offer application. My NOC level is A but could become a 0. Does anyone have any experience in alternative routes for his age? I don't want to leave him behind! He is at college here but wants to study his degree in Vancouver.

Does the EE route for skilled workers automatically give you PR?

Am I right in thinking the EE is the route to PR. I'm aware that you do need a medical at some point. Both my husband and I are diabetic. Do pre medical conditions have negative impact this resulting in no PR?

How on earth do all of you cope with this? My stress level is at its limit and we haven't gone anywhere yet!!!!!!

Thanks in advance (again)!
Old Nov 17th 2016, 8:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer! Scared/ anxious/ what now - anyone else in the same boat !

Firstly, massive congrats on the job offer!

Originally Posted by Victoria34
Thanks to Christmasoompa

I am aware that the age can be locked in when the application is made but we haven't done the language tests yet which I'm still confused as to whether this will affect my points if we didn't do them to save time as they were very low without the job offer .
All of that is only relevant to a PR application though - and you are not eligible to apply for PR now, going on the info given in your previous threads.

You probably need to go over on a temporary basis first (unless the employer is prepared to wait 9 months or so for you to get PR first), and you have two options that you need to research (and more importantly, the employer needs to research, as it will be them that makes the decision usually). Firstly, a LMIA and TWP - once you've got the LMIA and written job offer, you can then apply for PR as you'd then have enough points to qualify as a FSW.

Or, a PNP application. Once you've received your nomination from whichever province it is, you would then get a TWP and subsequently apply for PR via the PNP. Which province is the job in? Each province has their own PNP system, with different streams for applications, so you need to have a look at that.

One important factor for you that might mean you want to influence the employer's decision, is that a LMIA *can* be much quicker than a PNP application, so would mean you could apply for a visa before your son turns 19 (no hope of the with a PNP app). But only if you meet the following criteria and qualify for 10 day processing - http://www.esdc.gc.ca/en/foreign_wor...ce_tables.page

Even if you do meet that criteria, it's still going to be tight timewise. Just checking, but has the employer been advertising the job? And has he done so for at least 4 weeks without finding a Canadian to do it?

I'm also aware that the point system is changing this weekend but unsure if this is going to affect the job offer application.
It won't, because your job application is nothing to do with a PR application usually. The PR application is something you'll do yourself once there working on a TWP. It will just affect your points score, but nobody yet knows how the changes will impact the points level they send out ITA's at.

Does anyone have any experience in alternative routes for his age? I don't want to leave him behind! He is at college here but wants to study his degree in Vancouver.
Study permit, or IEC would be my suggestions. Or just hope that the age limit does increase next year!

Yes, if eligible, you meet the criteria, and provide all the requisite documents etc.

Am I right in thinking the EE is the route to PR. I'm aware that you do need a medical at some point. Both my husband and I are diabetic. Do pre medical conditions have negative impact this resulting in no PR?
Yes, that's right. Diabetes isn't a condition that will cause you to fail a medical, but you should look in to the cost of your drugs there, as they might not be covered under provincial healthcare (again, depending on the province). And unlike the NHS, they're not available at a reduced fee, so you'll pay full price for them unless you have good coverage from work or some is covered under the province. But a quick search of the forum will give you info on likely costings, there are a lot of threads you can look at with relevant info on.

How on earth do all of you cope with this? My stress level is at its limit and we haven't gone anywhere yet!!!!!!
You're probably looking for a more sophisticated answer, but frankly when it was me..............

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 17th 2016 at 8:21 am.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer! Scared/ anxious/ what now - anyone else in the same boat !

You are such an amazing wealth of knowledge but I still can't work out multi quoting !!

Thank you for your thanks !! I am thrilled but in shock that its happened so quickly !!

Ok, so if we went over on a TWP , would my nearly 19 year old be granted PR after he turned 19 when we are in Canada (BC to be precise?) or would he be sent home because we wouldn't have applied for PR ?

My employer is aware of the time frame and is more than willing to move forward as quickly as possible!

I'm thinking more towards PNP because when I go on to the Come to Canada eligbility wizard it asks for the IELTS scores and if you say none, you get declined and if I go ahead and take the tests, as you know, time is not on our side !! It doesn't give you an option to state you are a Level A category so I don't need to take them anyway!!Or, am I doing it completely wrong, being completely stupid because I am in total panic!!

Great advice re pre-conditions. Thank you !

Drink sounds good but I don't drink !! May just start !!
Old Nov 17th 2016, 8:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so if we went over on a TWP , would my nearly 19 year old be granted PR after he turned 19 when we are in Canada (BC to be precise?) or would he be sent home because we wouldn't have applied for PR ?
If you applied for a TWP before he turned 19, he would be included on that as a dependent, but if he turns 19 after you apply for PR then he couldn't be included, even if he's in Canada with you on your TWP.

I'm thinking more towards PNP because when I go on to the Come to Canada eligbility wizard it asks for the IELTS scores and if you say none, you get declined and if I go ahead and take the tests, as you know, time is not on our side !
OK, calm down and stop panicking! The IELTS isn't relevant to you now anyway, you don't need that until you apply for PR, and you're a long way off that - plenty of time to get IELTS before you are ready to submit a PR application if you do need it.

Re-read my reply above, as I said you WON'T get PNP before January anyway - nomination takes around 8-12 weeks usually (although you've still not said which province the job is in so not sure on the timescales??), so there is no way of getting a TWP or applying for PR before then if you apply via PNP.

As above, if you want to apply for a visa before January, then your only option is a LMIA/TWP, but only if the LMIA would qualify for 10 day processing. Otherwise the normal processing time is about 3-4 months. And has the employer been advertising the job for long enough (4 weeks or more), or would he need to do that first before he can even apply for the LMIA? That will also make a big difference as to the timescales.

So slow down a bit, look at the link above about the 10 day processing for LMIA's and see if you think you might be eligible. If not, then sorry, but there is no way you'll be applying for a visa before Jan so you'll need to think of another way to get him over, but then that takes the pressure off timewise and you don't need to panic so much.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you applied for a TWP before he turned 19, he would be included on that as a dependent, but if he turns 19 after you apply for PR then he couldn't be included, even if he's in Canada with you on your TWP.

OK, calm down and stop panicking! The IELTS isn't relevant to you now anyway, you don't need that until you apply for PR, and you're a long way off that - plenty of time to get IELTS before you are ready to submit a PR application if you do need it.

Re-read my reply above, as I said you WON'T get PNP before January anyway - nomination takes around 8-12 weeks usually (although you've still not said which province the job is in so not sure on the timescales??), so there is no way of getting a TWP or applying for PR before then if you apply via PNP.

As above, if you want to apply for a visa before January, then your only option is a LMIA/TWP, but only if the LMIA would qualify for 10 day processing. Otherwise the normal processing time is about 3-4 months. And has the employer been advertising the job for long enough (4 weeks or more), or would he need to do that first before he can even apply for the LMIA? That will also make a big difference as to the timescales.

So slow down a bit, look at the link above about the 10 day processing for LMIA's and see if you think you might be eligible. If not, then sorry, but there is no way you'll be applying for a visa before Jan so you'll need to think of another way to get him over, but then that takes the pressure off timewise and you don't need to panic so much.
Ok I am breathing again. Will read this thoroughly . We will hopefully be moving to BC . So I'm applying under a TWP for more than six months on the EE and not to move there permanently ?

I'm just terrified my so won't get PR.

Will get reading!
Old Nov 17th 2016, 9:44 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Personally this is the route I would take, as it's highly unlikely you will have all your ducks in a row to apply for PR by January.

Get the employer to apply for an LMIA and come over on a TWP.. most work permits are for 2 years+

Then, when the criteria change for dependants, to under 22 (Autumn 2017 is the forecast) apply for PR (either through PNP or EE) and include your son on your application. This way, by deferring applying for PR, he would be able to be included.

If he wanted to come over 'in between' you having a TWP / applying for PR then he could either come over as a visitor or else try and get an IEC working holiday permit.

Edited to add, HUGE congrats on the job offer! That's quite some achievement - well done that woman!!

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 17th 2016 at 9:49 am.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 9:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Ok I am breathing again.
Phew!

So I'm applying under a TWP for more than six months on the EE and not to move there permanently ?
Erm......no. EE is only for PR, and you're not applying for that yet as you're not eligible.

You will be applying for a TWP only (see the Wiki article on where to apply - you'd usually just get it at the airport), but you first need either a LMIA or PNP nomination.

So, you have two ways it can go -

Your employer applies for the LMIA. For this they have to pay $1000 and prove that they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. The LMIA will take anywhere between 10 days and 4 months ish. Once you have the LMIA, you then get your TWP, your husband will get a Spousal Open Work Permit, and your kids (those aged under 19 anyway) will be able to accompany you (and go to school - but just not work).

Once you've got your LMIA/TWP and a written permanent job offer, you can then apply for PR as you will then be eligible to apply as Federal Skilled Workers under Express Entry. You'll then have to see how many points you score on the CRS and hope you have enough to get selected and invited to apply for PR, which hopefully you will with a job offer. You might want to just stay on a TWP and hold off applying for PR to see if the age for dependents reduces, in case that means you can then add your son to your application.

OR

You apply via the PNP. Either under EE (processed much quicker but will require IELTS and an ECA - and points based too), or under the paper based system (takes longer but not as much paperwork involved). This will mean your employer and you have to do essentially a joint application, and you apply then hope you get selected/await nomination. Once you have the nomination (8-12 weeks as a rough guide) you can then use that to both get a Temp Work Permit (and your husband an open work permit etc as above), and to apply for PR.

Does that clarify it for you? Hopefully it will give you an overview of the two options, the LMIA would be preferable for you if you do qualify for 10 day processing, but it's really up to the employer. Both routes will mean they have to do quite a bit of paperwork, but it's their call as to which they prefer.

HTH a bit and hope you sleep tonight! Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 17th 2016 at 9:56 am.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to Christmasoompa , I have had the most phenomenal amount of information in the past few days after my family and I decided to make the decision in moving and so based on all that I applied for a great job which I have just accepted ! Now I am petrified!!! I'm a wife and mum of three (and two dogs) and this has all happened extremely quickly so I wondered how everyone else deals with it and what their experiences were! I also have a couple of questions .

I can't decide which visa . We are in a huge predicament as the eldest turns 19 mid Jan. I am aware that the age can be locked in when the application is made but we haven't done the language tests yet which I'm still confused as to whether this will affect my points if we didn't do them to save time as they were very low without the job offer . I'm also aware that the point system is changing this weekend but unsure if this is going to affect the job offer application. My NOC level is A but could become a 0. Does anyone have any experience in alternative routes for his age? I don't want to leave him behind! He is at college here but wants to study his degree in Vancouver.

Thanks in advance (again)!
My hubby is diabetic. Don't worry about that 😊
Old Nov 17th 2016, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

bambie283176 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Victoria 34,
Can you advise where you applied for the job offer? I'm desperate of looking jobs in Canada and Im a nurse in UK for almost 15 yrs.
Hope you don't mind .

Thanks,

Rachelle
Old Nov 17th 2016, 5:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bambie283176
HI Victoria 34,
Can you advise where you applied for the job offer? I'm desperate of looking jobs in Canada and Im a nurse in UK for almost 15 yrs.
Hope you don't mind .

Thanks,

Rachelle
Hello and welcome to BE!

Could I suggest you start a thread of your own as you are more likely to get advice on where to look that way. Victoria34's experience with job searching will probably have no relevance for your occupation unfortunately.

Regarding your occupation and job search - have a search on BE as there are dozens of threads about what you need to do to become certified in Canada (depending on Province) and where best to look for jobs.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 17th 2016 at 5:54 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

I am beginning to question myself as a professional business woman because I still can't multi quote !!! So, having to respond the simpler way !

Christmasoompa ( I absolutely love that name!!) The job offer is in Vancouver. It doesn't meet the trades included in the 10 day processing and just falls short of the minimum (high) wage. So, that's a no go sadly.
I don't know if they have actually advertised the job although they did say they have been looking, so I will get that double checked. The rest of the info makes perfect sense, so I am grateful for that. As you are aware, I am clearly in a state of panic!!

Siouxie ! Thank you ! I am a woman on a mission !! Again, what you said, makes perfect sense. Two questions though - how likely is it that they will up the age? And if he came out with us on a student visa at the same time we applied for a TWP, would we be able to transfer the student visa to PR once they had upped the age? I am just trying to figure out the best route forward with this to ensures that he can come over, eventually permanently. He will be studying out there for sure on a degree. This really is a major concern and I would actually turn the job offer down if I couldn't get him out there.....the things you do for your kids eh!

DanNHill - thank you so much. That's a huge relief !!

Bambie - as Siouxie said, my industry is completely different to yours. I am in a very fortunate industry where I can pretty much get a job offer anywhere in the world (assuming I was offered a visa!). But what I will say, is that this forum is absolutely phenomenal and do take on board everything these guys and gals are saying. They are so helpful and I wouldn't have got to this stage without them (and I am still at the very early stages!!)

I wish you all the best with your search. I am sure you will find something, and sometimes quicker than you think ! I was originally thinking my husband who is a Chef would get a job offer quicker than me, but it was only when I was out walking my dogs on Tuesday (!!) that I decided to make some enquiries and look where I am now!
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:45 am
Banned

I am beginning to question myself as a professional business woman because I still can't multi quote !!! So, having to respond the simpler way !

Christmasoompa ( I absolutely love that name!!) The job offer is in Vancouver. It doesn't meet the trades included in the 10 day processing and just falls short of the minimum (high) wage. So, that's a no go sadly.
I don't know if they have actually advertised the job although they did say they have been looking, so I will get that double checked. The rest of the info makes perfect sense, so I am grateful for that. As you are aware, I am clearly in a state of panic!!

Siouxie ! Thank you ! I am a woman on a mission !! Again, what you said, makes perfect sense. Two questions though - how likely is it that they will up the age? And if he came out with us on a student visa at the same time we applied for a TWP, would we be able to transfer the student visa to PR once they had upped the age? I am just trying to figure out the best route forward with this to ensures that he can come over, eventually permanently. He will be studying out there for sure on a degree. This really is a major concern and I would actually turn the job offer down if I couldn't get him out there.....the things you do for your kids eh!

DanNHill - thank you so much. That's a huge relief !!

Bambie - as Siouxie said, my industry is completely different to yours. I am in a very fortunate industry where I can pretty much get a job offer anywhere in the world (assuming I was offered a visa!). But what I will say, is that this forum is absolutely phenomenal and do take on board everything these guys and gals are saying. They are so helpful and I wouldn't have got to this stage without them (and I am still at the very early stages!!)

I wish you all the best with your search. I am sure you will find something, and sometimes quicker than you think ! I was originally thinking my husband who is a Chef would get a job offer quicker than me, but it was only when I was out walking my dogs on Tuesday (!!) that I decided to make some enquiries and look where I am now!
You are most welcome!

I'm the same, lol, if my son couldn't have obtained PR as well then I would have moved back to England!

According to the Canada Gazette (which is where they 'announce' new policy proposals etc.,) they anticipate it being in place in the fall of 2017, so I think there's a pretty good chance it will go through. Canada Gazette – Regulations Amending the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (Age of Dependent Children)

He could, indeed, come over on a Student Visa and providing that it was for a course for higher education he could apply for a Post Graduate work permit when it's ended. You can read more about it here: Get a study permit and Stay in Canada after graduation He would also be able to work part time during his course (full details in the links).

However, do be aware that fees are very expensive for non-PR's or Citizens. There is also the possibility that he could apply for PR himself, once he has completed his studies / PGWP if by chance they didn't raise the age of dependants (so that's good news too!).

Even if he is here on a student visa when you are ready to apply for PR - providing they have changed the age of dependency - you could include him on your application without any issues.

Best of luck with the LMIA/TWP application!

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 18th 2016 at 5:47 am.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You are most welcome!

I'm the same, lol, if my son couldn't have obtained PR as well then I would have moved back to England!

According to the Canada Gazette (which is where they 'announce' new policy proposals etc.,) they anticipate it being in place in the fall of 2017, so I think there's a pretty good chance it will go through. Canada Gazette – Regulations Amending the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (Age of Dependent Children)

He could, indeed, come over on a Student Visa and providing that it was for a course for higher education he could apply for a Post Graduate work permit when it's ended. You can read more about it here: Get a study permit and Stay in Canada after graduation

However, do be aware that fees are very expensive for non-PR's or Citizens. There is also the possibility that he could apply for PR himself, once he has completed his studies / PGWP if by chance they didn't raise the age of dependants (so that's good news too!).

Even if he is here on a student visa when you are ready to apply for PR - providing they have changed the age of dependency - you could include him on your application without any issues.

Best of luck with the LMIA/TWP application!

Siouxie - you have just made one stressed out , perhaps on the verge of neurotic mum very happy!

I've looked at the fees for international student. And yes they are eye watering but needs must !!!

Thank you!!! I swear I'm going to take up drinking to get through this !! Never want to start smoking but the alcohol is gradually becoming a good choice!!!!!
Old Nov 20th 2016, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Hello lovelies

Given all this a lot of thought over the weekend !

I have spoken to my nearly 19 year old son, and we think it would be best for him to apply for an IEC for now, get out to BC and then take the time to look at universities for him to take his degree (which I don't think start until mid next year anyhow).

I have gone through the Come to Canada wizard and it tells me he is eligible to apply and have given me a reference number.

So , and this is really for reassurance before we apply !!

If he does get an invite to apply and eventually gets the visa, does he have to go out straight away?

Can he change from an IEC to Student Visa (I am pretty certain the answer is yes)

If the IEC was accepted and we were not ready to leave the UK, say for a few months, could he decline the invitation and then apply for a student visa instead or would declining have a negative effect on his case file?

Obviously, we are hoping the age is upped next year to 22 !!

If all good, we shall go for it.

Thank you !
Old Nov 20th 2016, 2:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

If he does get an invite to apply and eventually gets the visa, does he have to go out straight away?
Nope, he'll have a year to enter Canada and activate the IEC.

Can he change from an IEC to Student Visa (I am pretty certain the answer is yes)
Yes, although you'll need to be careful if considering a study permit. For a study permit, you have to show ties to your home country and proof that you'll return to it after your studies - so think carefully about how he'll be able to meet that criteria if his family is in Canada with him!

If the IEC was accepted and we were not ready to leave the UK, say for a few months, could he decline the invitation and then apply for a student visa instead or would declining have a negative effect on his case file?
It would be no problem at all.

Do get him applying for the IEC asap, as there are only 5000 visas available, and already more applications than that in the pool, so to give him the best chance you ideally want to get an application in very soon.

HTH, good luck to him and you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.