Job offer in Nova Scotia

Old Aug 6th 2016, 9:22 am
Just Joined

UKmet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer in Nova Scotia

Hi

I have been offered a job as a Hair Stylist in Nova Scotia (skill B I think) and I am wondering what route to take. Do I apply to Canadian Immigration diretc if I get the LMIA or go through the NS provintial nomination scheme? Many thanks
Old Aug 6th 2016, 9:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer in Nova Scotia

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by UKmet
I have been offered a job as a Hair Stylist in Nova Scotia
Congrats!

Do I apply to Canadian Immigration diretc if I get the LMIA or go through the NS provintial nomination scheme?
Not sure what you mean by 'Canadian Immigration direct'? Do you mean CIC and a Temp Work Permit?

You can't apply under the PNP with just a LMIA, for a PNP application you need a PNP nomination, and that's a different thing. Once you had the PNP nomination you could then apply for PR via CIC.

Do you know if your employer will do a LMIA app or PNP app? Really it's down to them as to which they are prepared to do, and that will then tell you what type of subsequent visa application you'll be doing.

HTH a bit.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.
one lawyer said to apply to the express entry and get a LMIA.
However, a second said to go down the route of applying for PNP with NS.
I think the employer would prefer that from what he has said?
sorry if this is confusing or I don't make sense. The system seems slightly confusing to me!
Old Aug 6th 2016, 10:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

one lawyer said to apply to the express entry and get a LMIA.
You can't apply under EE and then get a LMIA - they're two completely different applications to different places! Don't worry, I know it's confusing but your employer would apply to ESDC for a LMIA, you can then use this to get a Temp Work Permit (and subsequently PR via CIC under the Express Entry/FSW program, as it would give you the extra 600 points you may need).

Or the employer can apply with you to the PNP, you'd then get a nomination certificate and again be able to use that to apply for a Temp Work Permit, and subsequently PR.

It's really down to the employer, not you, they need to see if they meet the criteria for both and then decide. The downside for the LMIA is that it's more likely to be refused, but the NS PNP isn't currently taking any more applications under their EE stream, so you'd have to wait a while for that.

Has the job been advertised across Canada for a while? And no Canadian has applied that could do it? If so, then a LMIA would be an option, but they must advertise it first and detail exactly who applied and why they can't find a Canadian for that route.

HTH clarify it a bit, best of luck!
Old Aug 6th 2016, 10:17 am
Just Joined

That does clarify it somewhat - thank you.

It was mentioned to apply for NS PNP skilled rather than the PNP EE as Hair Stylist is a skill level B?

Or is that a bad idea?
Old Aug 6th 2016, 10:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

It was mentioned to apply for NS PNP skilled rather than the PNP EE as Hair Stylist is a skill level B?

Or is that a bad idea?
It's not a bad idea (it's the only option at the moment as the EE stream is closed), it just generally takes quite a bit longer than EE applications - 15 months versus 6 months for EE according to the current CIC timescales.

But as long as the job has been advertised enough and they can't find a Canadian, then either the PNP or LMIA should be successful.

Don't forget that you'll need to sit your exam(s?) before being able to work in Canada as hairdressing is a regulated trade there.

Good luck!