job

Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:05 am
Just Joined

arnoldmarlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default job

hi there my partner myself and my two children came to canada on a 1 year work permit, his contract with the firm he is working for is 3 years but he hates it can he find another job and when we renew our visa change the conditions which state he cant work for any other employer or any other occupation we need help aswere new to getting visas as his employer sorted it out before
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job

If he applies for another job the employer will need to get an LMO and you will have to apply for a WP as you did before. You will need to time it well so that you don't end up having to leave Canada. It may be better to renew with the existing company whilst he is looking.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:13 am
Just Joined

hi thanks for that but what is an lmo
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:21 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

If he has time left on his TWP then he can quit at anytime - the TWP will turn into a vistors visa for the time remaining on it - meaning you cannot work but you can stay in Canada and thus find another job.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arnoldmarlene
A Labour Market Opinion.

Unless his job is exempt he will have had one in order to get his WP.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Default Re:work permit

My partner and i are working in canada on a one year visa now it is up for renewal.
As the company transferred him they sorted everything out but now we are here we have to sort the visa out ourselves. When my partner was 20 he is now 42 he was a bit silly got involved with the wrong people and smoked and sold dope got caught and got a 12 month sentence do we still have to declare that on the work permit if so is there any implications to not giving us one.

and i heard that after 15 years you dont have to declare it. is that true.

and he got done for defending himself hit a guy once he had witnesses (his friends) so the out come was inevitable, it happened 4 years ago and he got community service for it anyone know if that will go against us.

Last edited by arnoldmarlene; Jul 9th 2008 at 12:06 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:15 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arnoldmarlene
Further to what destinationnovascotia said .......

An employer has to advertise a job across Canada for three months. If no qualified Canadian resident applies for the job, the employer applies for an LMO. The LMO allows the employer to offer the job to a foreign worker.

The required advertising time is reduced to 7 days in the case of an Occupation under Pressure. And a few occupations are LMO-exempt.

When the employer has received an LMO and offered the job to a foreign worker, the foreign worker can apply for a temporary work permit (TWP).

AmyDavid also has given you valid information.

For more information about your husband not liking his employer and wanting to resign, see the Wiki article called Work Permit Complications.

Okay, now I've seen your additional comments about your partner's police record. I don't know how that escaped everyone's attention the first time he applied for a temporary work permit. The TWP application asks, "Have you or any member of your family ever committed, been arrested or charged with any criminal offence in any country?" If he didn't accurately answer that question on his TWP application form, he got into Canada fraudulently, and that is very bad news.

Even if you are deemed to have been rehabilitated -- which happens five years after the completion of the sentence for some offences and ten years after the completion of the sentence for other offences -- you still have to answer questions about it on your TWP application form.

You are supposed to apply for Criminal Rehabilitation before you even visit Canada as a tourist. See the Wiki article called Criminal Rehabilitation.

I don't imagine this is information that you want to receive, but I hope it'll at least be useful.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Jul 9th 2008 at 12:18 pm. Reason: Added clarification about advertising requirements for OUPs and LMO-exempt occupations.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:35 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Further to what destinationnovascotia said .......

An employer has to advertise a job across Canada for three months. If no qualified Canadian resident applies for the job, the employer applies for an LMO. The LMO allows the employer to offer the job to a foreign worker.

The required advertising time is reduced to 7 days in the case of an Occupation under Pressure. And a few occupations are LMO-exempt.

When the employer has received an LMO and offered the job to a foreign worker, the foreign worker can apply for a temporary work permit (TWP).

AmyDavid also has given you valid information.

For more information about your husband not liking his employer and wanting to resign, see the Wiki article called Work Permit Complications.

Okay, now I've seen your additional comments about your partner's police record. I don't know how that escaped everyone's attention the first time he applied for a temporary work permit. The TWP application asks, "Have you or any member of your family ever committed, been arrested or charged with any criminal offence in any country?" If he didn't accurately answer that question on his TWP application form, he got into Canada fraudulently, and that is very bad news.

Even if you are deemed to have been rehabilitated -- which happens five years after the completion of the sentence for some offences and ten years after the completion of the sentence for other offences -- you still have to answer questions about it on your TWP application form.

You are supposed to apply for Criminal Rehabilitation before you even visit Canada as a tourist. See the Wiki article called Criminal Rehabilitation.

I don't imagine this is information that you want to receive, but I hope it'll at least be useful.
x
The OP is probably in deeper doo doo that he realizes. If he was convicted of trafficking in cannabis, it would probably be equated under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, as Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking as Schedule II drug, which the maximum sentence is life. Therefor he cannot be "deemed" rehabilitated, he must apply for it.