Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Jim Humphreys and Andrew Miller, Help Please

Jim Humphreys and Andrew Miller, Help Please

Old Sep 8th 2004, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

canseco1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jim Humphreys and Andrew Miller, Help Please

Hi,

I applied for skilled worker permanent residence in Canada, and I got the initial assesment with interview waived off in April, 2004. I got the medical exam in May and also sent additional documents in May, 2004. I am currently waiting for the next process, hopefully passport request.

Recently, I got a job offer (school postdoctoral fellow with two year contract, governed by Regulation #205 and the HSRDC Confirmation exempt code is C44) starting from October, 2004 and am trying to get a work permit since I haven't heard on my permanent residency yet. If Ii apply for a work permit, would it affect the PR process either positively or negatively? In the application form, there is a section where I should mention on my PR application.

Actually, I applied for PR through an agency in Canada, and they are offering me that they can push the PR to be issued before October using the job offer. They are telling me if I pay extra fee ($1000 USD) to them, they can guarantee that I can get the PR before October. Is it ever true? To me, it doesn't make sense because it takes at least two weeks to get the passport stamped. Also, as I know, the skilled worker immigration with job arrangements is categrized differently from the one without the arrangement that I wonder if I can change it at this stage. In addition, my job offer is not a permanent one.

I desperately need your help. If the work permit application doesn't affect the PR process negatively, I want to just apply for the work permit for myself. Also, I cannot believe that they can push my PR process by using the job offer. Could you please give me any advice? Should I believe the agency and go ahead to pay them? Thank you.

Last edited by canseco1; Sep 8th 2004 at 7:38 am.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 7:14 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jim Humphreys and Andrew Miller, Help Please

Hi Canseco

Originally Posted by canseco1
Hi,

I applied for skilled worker permanent residence in Canada, and I got the initial assesment with interview waived off in April, 2004. I got the medical exam in May and also sent additional documents in May, 2004. I am currently waiting for the next process, hopefully passport request.

Recently, I got a job offer (school postdoctoral fellow with two year contract, governed by Regulation #205 and the HSRDC Confirmation exempt code is C44) starting from October, 2004 and am trying to get a work permit since I haven't heard on my permanent residency yet. If Ii apply for a work permit, would it affect the PR process either positively or negatively? In the application form, there is a section where I should mention on my PR application.

Actually, I applied for PR through an agency in Canada, and they are offering me that they can push the PR to be issued before October using the job offer. They are telling me if I pay extra fee ($1000 USD) to them, they can guarantee that I can get the PR before October. Is it ever true? To me, it doesn't make sense because it takes at least two weeks to get the passport stamped. Also, as I know, the skilled worker immigration with job arrangements is categrized differently from the one without the arrangement that I wonder if I can change it at this stage.

I desperately need your help. If the work permit application doesn't affect the PR process negatively, I want to just apply for the work permit for myself. Also, I cannot believe that they can push my PR process by using the job offer. Could you please give me any advice? Should I believe the agency and go ahead to pay them? Thank you.
The job offer will not negatively affect your PR application. I would be very wary of any agency that claims it can expedite your application for cash, it just isn't going to happen. You will get your Passport request when CHC has completed it. If the offer was in writing, I would pass it along to either CIC and the Law Society in the province where they practise or COSIC.

PMM
Old Sep 8th 2004, 7:40 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

They are simply trying to rip you off - don't trust them and forward their email or letter asking for extra money to "expedite process" and "guarantee that you will receive PR before October" to proper authorities - if your rep is a consultant then forward it to CSIC and if a lawyer then forward it to proper Provincial law society.

Your work permit application will have no effect on your PR process.

Hi,

Actually, I applied for PR through an agency in Canada, and they are offering me that they can push the PR to be issued before October using the job offer. They are telling me if I pay extra fee ($1000 USD) to them, they can guarantee that I can get the PR before October. Is it ever true? To me, it doesn't make sense because it takes at least two weeks to get the passport stamped. Also, as I know, the skilled worker immigration with job arrangements is categrized differently from the one without the arrangement that I wonder if I can change it at this stage.

Old Sep 8th 2004, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
They are simply trying to rip you off - don't trust them and forward their email or letter asking for extra money to "expedite process" and "guarantee that you will receive PR before October" to proper authorities - if your rep is a consultant then forward it to CSIC and if a lawyer then forward it to proper Provincial law society.

Your work permit application will have no effect on your PR process.

Thank you, Mr. Miller. I am also suspicious of their offer. They said that they would write a letter to the Consulate that asks to issue the PR in time for my starting date of my job, and they expect the processing time of two weeks for that. Have you heard of that kind of story?

If the PR process is not affected by work permit application, does the work permit application can be affected by PR application? I have read that I should confirm the officer that I would leave Canada after the work permit expires, and my concern is that PR application would affect that point negatively.

By the way, would it be possible for me to get the work permit before October if I apply now? It says the processing time is 2-6 weeks, and I want to know the usual time taken from the experienced people.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 8:42 am

It is always possible to ask visa post anything, but it is not worth $1,000 and for sure it is not guaranteed that visa post will grant such rather ridiculous request - visa post will not issue PR visa if not all tasks are completed yet.

At this stage your PR process should not have negative effect on your Work Permit application, unless there is something in your background that warrants some security concerns.

Thank you, Mr. Miller. I am also suspicious of their offer. They said that they would write a letter to the Consulate that asks to issue the PR in time for my starting date of my job, and they expect the processing time of two weeks for that. Have you heard of that kind of story?

If the PR process is not affected by work permit application, does the work permit application can be affected by PR application? I have read that I should confirm the officer that I would leave Canada after the work permit expires, and my concern is that PR application would affect that point negatively.

By the way, would it be possible for me to get the work permit before October if I apply now? It says the processing time is 2-6 weeks, and I want to know the usual time taken from the experienced people.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

It is always possible to ask visa post anything, but it is not worth $1,000 and for sure it is not guaranteed that visa post will grant such rather ridiculous request - visa post will not issue PR visa if not all tasks are completed yet.

At this stage your PR process should not have negative effect on your Work Permit application, unless there is something in your background that warrants some security concerns.
Thank you very much, Mr. Miller. I appreciate it.
I would just go on to apply for work permit.
Thank you.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Dear Mr. Miller,

If the PR process doesn't give any negative effect on my Work Permit application, can I also expect any positive effect of Work Permit application on my PR process? Also, if I am in the late stages of PR process, would they ask for extra medical exam or police record check for my work permit process?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by canseco1; Sep 9th 2004 at 11:39 am.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 11:45 am

No, WP application won't affect PR process.

If you have done medicals for PR already then it is highly unlikely that you will be asked for new ones for WP.

Dear Mr. Miller,

If the PR process doesn't give any negative effect on my Work Permit application, can I also expect any positive effect of Work Permit application on my PR process? Also, if I am in the late stages of PR process, would they ask for extra medical exam or police record check for my work permit process?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

It has been more than 3 months since I got medical and sent additional documents in May, and I am being impatient with no response from the Consulate. When I checked the timelines of other people who sent medical and documents on similar timeframe as me, there are many people who got it in July or August. Is it something to worry about? If there is any problem in my documents or medicals, do they respond soon? Or should I find it out myself by checking CAIPS note?

Thanks.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 3:04 pm

Never try to predict your timeline on the basis of the timeline of others - there are no 2 identical cases. Your background/security check has been initiated after selection decision was made (after interview waiver) and it may take anywhere from several months to well over a year to conclude.

It has been more than 3 months since I got medical and sent additional documents in May, and I am being impatient with no response from the Consulate. When I checked the timelines of other people who sent medical and documents on similar timeframe as me, there are many people who got it in July or August. Is it something to worry about? If there is any problem in my documents or medicals, do they respond soon? Or should I find it out myself by checking CAIPS note?

Thanks.