Its complicated....

Old Nov 7th 2011, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Jonnyabs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Its complicated....

Hi I’m wondering if I can pick the brains of this forum as my situation is a little tricky at the moment and not sure how to go about this...

...basically I’m in the final stages of my Canadian employer backed residency application to Canada and my employer is awaiting my return from London back to Vancouver. I had to return home due to family issues so although my application is still supported by my employer [expectant return soon] they are no longer paying me.

Im confident my application will come through but in the mean time I’m working in the UK to supplement my stay here whilst i sort these issues. London is expensive and as luck would have it i have been approached by a 3rd party to do some freelance work in addition to my London job. They are a Canadian company.

How could this work? Can I work for this 3rd party on a freelance basis? I'm aware that my current WP only allows me to work for 1 employer if I’m based in Canada....which technically i am / but physically I’m not....

Thing is I have to be here in the UK for my family, I'm desperate to return to my old employers in Canada but I need this potential work from this third party Canadian outfit....

It’s complicated as I said but I’m sure there must be a legal solution, i was thinking of setting up a UK based company to handle the additional workload / tax issues.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its complicated....

So you are currently in the UK? Are you a UK citizen?

If so, you can work for whoever you choose whilst in the UK, it's only in Canada that you would be restricted on whom you work for.

Do also note that you might be jeopardising your PR application if you are not in Canada working on your TWP, and not being paid, whilst it goes through, so that may be something to check out.

Good luck.