Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Its been a while! What have we missed??

Its been a while! What have we missed??

Old Mar 26th 2013, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its been a while! What have we missed??

Originally Posted by alcat2010
Ive said this before in the past, but WHY do Canada seem to make it so difficult for people (who they "supposedley" need for their skills shortages..)

Australia is starting to seem more and more appealing....
I don't see how it's 'difficult' for those who they need tbh? It's cheaper than emigrating to Oz, and easier for most (several stages for Oz from what I understand, including skills assessment). If you qualify, then it's a fairly straightforward and quick process. If you don't, then it's not - but then your skills aren't needed by the Canadian government, so why should it be?!
Old Mar 26th 2013, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I don't see how it's 'difficult' for those who they need tbh? It's cheaper than emigrating to Oz, and easier for most (several stages for Oz from what I understand, including skills assessment). If you qualify, then it's a fairly straightforward and quick process. If you don't, then it's not - but then your skills aren't needed by the Canadian government, so why should it be?!
You don't see how its difficult?? I really am amazed and perplexed at that comment. And a little annoyed.

For one, the oz comment from myself was tongue in cheek. But it was also through knowledge of how much easier emigrating seems to be.
My wife has worked with several colleagues (nurses) who have secured a job (over the phone)moved over in a matter of MONTHS.
Obviously they're will b many exceptions, that's why it was said in semi jest.

Now if you are in someway discarding the joke of a process cic have been trying to run the past few years I.e. applications getting put on hold for YEARS, some not even getting processed bfore 2008, Last year closing the intake at the last second, only DAYS before supposed date etc etc

So our skills aren't in demand anymore? So the answer to my original harmless question if anything had changed has been answered by the oracle that is Christmasoompa?..
For someone who calls themselves a 'moderator' or whatever title you have, I find it insulting you feel its ok to come out with such cheeky replies.

"Straightforward and quick" for a federal skilled worker, I.e. a registered nurse? Nonsense.

You said it yourself in previous posts "no one knows", "we don't know how big the quota will be" blah blah blah.
My exact point.
The whole process is STILL full of uncertainty, incompetence, rumours, guesswork.

Thanks for your input/guesswork anyway.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You don't see how its difficult?? I really am amazed and perplexed at that comment. And a little annoyed.
Can't see why you're annoyed, it's just my personal opinion. I am allowed one y'know.

My wife has worked with several colleagues (nurses) who have secured a job (over the phone)moved over in a matter of MONTHS.
As could a nurse to Canada, on a TWP.

Now if you are in someway discarding the joke of a process cic have been trying to run the past few years I.e. applications getting put on hold for YEARS, some not even getting processed bfore 2008, Last year closing the intake at the last second, only DAYS before supposed date etc etc
I never said that it was easy or straightforward for all - I said that for those in demand it is. And I'm not talking about FSW either, I'm talking about all visa routes. For instance, somebody that is being transferred with their company can be offered the job one day, turn up to the airport the next and be granted a 3 year TWP that leads to PR. Not sure how that could be any easier! I know that some who have applied as FSW have had a nightmare wait etc (myself included as it happens), but I wasn't focussing on that one visa route, I was looking at all of them as a whole. Canada is still much easier and quicker than a lot of other countries, and for those in demand, it is (IMO) relatively painless.

So the answer to my original harmless question if anything had changed has been answered by the oracle that is Christmasoompa?
You're welcome. I'm so pleased I took the time to respond politely to it.

For someone who calls themselves a 'moderator' or whatever title you have, I find it insulting you feel its ok to come out with such cheeky replies.
I don't call myself a moderator, the site admins do. Not that I have any idea what that has to do with me responding to you though. And FWIW, it wasn't cheeky, it was perfectly polite, and just my opinion. No need to jump down my throat for it!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 26th 2013 at 9:12 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Don't insult my intelligence by trying to imply you're response was 'polite and friendly'

If you're not some official moderator for this website/forum then what are you? Someone who has a bit too much time on their hands?

You implied that 'our skills are not in demand', so you obviously feel you have some further knowledge than others regarding what Canada does or doesn't need.

Don't try and twist you're words now, you said TO ME, "it was straightforward". You did not initially imply FOR ALL.. Nonsense

When I get a rare chance to sit and write on this forum, its usually for straightforward information regarding the immigration process, so yes youre patronising opinion / comments and manner annoy me. = the fsw process for a nurse IS NOT STRAIGHTFORWARD.

again, don't insult my intelligence by insinuating you did not know my I was referring to fsw. You knew.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

you state,
" its straightforward and quick process for those in demand"

Nonsense.

Registered nurses WERE in demand the last time we were applying I.e. July 2012. AND the year before..

I, plus thousands more will testify being allegedly 'in demand' DOES NOT equate to a "straightforward + quick process"

Don't patronise people.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Good grief. What a response to a simple comment!

It seems you've taken my reply personally for some reason. Perhaps I should clarify that when I said 'If you qualify, then it's a fairly straightforward and quick process. If you don't, then it's not - but then your skills aren't needed by the Canadian government, so why should it be?!', the 'you' wasn't actually aimed at you personally, it was an indefinite pronoun! I meant any applicant - perhaps I should have said 'one' instead to save any confusion. Certainly as a nurse, your wife's skills *are* in demand.

again, don't insult my intelligence by insinuating you did not know my I was referring to fsw. You knew.
Ah yes, of course my psychic powers were working just fine. FSW is only one route of many that caters for skills shortages, so no, I didn't know which you were referring to.

Not that it makes any difference really, I still think that for people who are working in 'skills shortage' areas (whether that's the LMO exempt occupations, FSTP, cat 1 of FSW etc), it is relatively quick and easy, certainly compared to those that have to go via much more onerous routes or compared to other countries such as the US.

But that's just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it - or to snap at me for it either!
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

alexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nice

Wow Tuesday night is fight night down the OK "Expats" Corale.

Allcat2010 why don't you go the TWP route and do PR via one of the other classes when over there, PNP, experience class etc. Rather than complaining about how confusing or hard it all is, this way might equal some action.

PS an apology is in order here, in case you missed that subtlety. Well out of order...
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by alexbellamy
Wow Tuesday night is fight night down the OK "Expats" Corale.

Allcat2010 why don't you go the TWP route and do PR via one of the other classes when over there, PNP, experience class etc. Rather than complaining about how confusing or hard it all is, this way might equal some action.

PS an apology is in order here, in case you missed that subtlety. Well out of order...
+1
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:32 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Hope to hear any replies !
I hear it is a lot easier to get into Australia if that helps
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:45 pm

fabretti18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alexbellamy
Wow

+1 too
Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

I dont come on a computer forum to argue with people. Im not that sad, and Ive got more important things to do.

When I write on here its usually to ask for assistance / information. For which I am very grateful for when its given. Personal comments with patronising undertones arent helpful or needed. Its just a waste of everyones time.

I say they are not needed as my first post though was quite clearly asking what updates have been made to the fsw process, and that my wife was a nurse.

Their is NO DOUBT that emigrating AS A NURSE through the fsw route is a bit of a farce. We did / do qualify and It IS difficult.
The main difficulties is not only being limited to 500 applications in one year, but also the hoop jumping / expensive re-training nurses have to do.

I dont find it "confusing", as someone stated. I find it so un-organised and very frustrating. I dont expect immigration to be simple, but at least get some structure to it.

I received a reply from christmasoompa stating :

I was irked by this comment as I took it to be directed to me. Ive re-read it a few times and still wonder how you can say it wasnt directed at me?

You say you "I don't see how it's 'difficult' for those who they need tbh"
I dont see how unless someone is actually a nurse themselves and attempting the process can they comment and say "its not difficult".

Anyway, we dont have the benefit of standing face to face and having a normal discussion, people cant portray properly what the are really trying to get across.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I say they are not needed as my first post though was quite clearly asking what updates have been made to the fsw.
Which I helped you with, see post no. 2 above.

I was irked by this comment as I took it to be directed to me. Ive re-read it a few times and still wonder how you can say it wasnt directed at me?
As said above, I was using the 'you' as an indefinite pronoun, purely because I think 'one' can be a bit poncey! But if it helps, I've rewritten it replacing 'you' with 'one' so that hopefully you'll understand it was in no way directed at you personally (particularly as your wife's job *is* in demand, so it's not even applicable to your situation!).

I don't see how it's 'difficult' for those who they need tbh? It's cheaper than emigrating to Oz, and easier for most (several stages for Oz from what I understand, including skills assessment). If one qualifies, then it's a fairly straightforward and quick process. If one doesn't, then it's not - but then one's skills aren't needed by the Canadian government, so why should it be?!

I still don't feel that the tirade you directed at me was warranted, and clearly neither do others. But hopefully you now understand that my comments were not having a go. You gave your opinion on visa applications for Canada, and I gave mine which happens to differ from yours. But I didn't mean any of it personally!

As said above, if you still want to go and can't apply as FSW, then do look at other visa routes.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree.

You say its not difficult to emigrate to canada if in demand.

I say in our experiences so far, spanning back to 2008. Its IS made difficult.
Its made more difficult with not only the initial application farce with CIC, (which cant really be argued with surely? )

But also the re-training that has to be carried out.
(although that annoyance can probably be vented towards the UK government for changing the type of specific training given to its nurses as opposed to generally trained)

Regardless whether you say the said comment was not directed at me but more in a general sense is now a bit irrelevant.

The point I made about the fsw visa system being a joke, I feel is MORE than justified.
I just found it hard to contemplate how anyone can flippantly state "its straightforward, quick and not difficult"
You did say this. And that WAS directed at me... No question.

You also said
"FSW is only one route of many that caters for skills shortages, so no, I didn't know which you were referring to"

Come on Christmasoompa, You did... You even said yourself you answered in relation to the fsw in your post no.2....

After months and months of not looking at the process since last july, I discovered through previous posts on this thread, even from yourself i.e. "no one knows" that it is STILL an unclarified joke.. That was the point I was making.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 1:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Cool Re: Its been a while! What have we missed??

You also said
"FSW is only one route of many that caters for skills shortages, so no, I didn't know which you were referring to"

Come on Christmasoompa, You did... You even said yourself you answered in relation to the fsw in your post no.2....
Don't accuse me of lying please. You didn't state FSW in that particular post. I've no idea why you're so fixated on FSW when it's only one visa route of many available to you!

Anyway, as you say, we'll have to agree to disagree. Next time though, pls disagree without 'shouting' and personal attacks, thx.

Thread closed.