British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Its been a while! What have we missed?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/its-been-while-what-have-we-missed-783282/)

alcat2010 Jan 10th 2013 5:06 pm

Its been a while! What have we missed??

Hi all,

The last time I typed on this was probably july 2012?.. The time when we (my wife and I) were minutes from sending away our Fed skilled worker app to cic.. only for them to close the door!! :thumbdown:

So, whats been happening in the time we have 'been away' from the scene?
(We have been kept busy over the months with our two young kids, buying and fixing up a new house)

We made a decision to shut off from the whole immigration rollercoaster until 'further notice'... so I havent even kept an eye on the cic website..

Is there any rumours / concrete updates on the federal skilled worker programme?

Is this route in to canada still the 'best' way in to canada for us?
(wife - nurse - 34
me - firefighter - 32
2 kids.. )

Hope to hear any replies ! :thumbsup:

christmasoompa Jan 10th 2013 5:18 pm

Re: Its been a while! What have we missed??

Best thing to do is just have a quick look at the CIC website, or a search of the forum. There have been several changes, so it's rather hard for one of us to just sum it all up for you!

Brief overview of the FSW changes though - program opening on 4th May, possibly no longer an eligible occupations list, credentials must now be assessed, new points score system.

Former Lancastrian Jan 10th 2013 5:22 pm

http://www.canadavisa.com/news/entry...en-in-may.html

lydiaparr Jan 14th 2013 11:15 am

Hiya. We are in exactly the same boat. I am a nurse and we were just about to send our application in.
I think it would be v difficult to go over as a nurse from what I understand now. Especially for me as I am paediatric trained.

Really not sure what mine and hubby's options are now. My husband is a software engineer so we are considering him going out looking for a job in the next few months.

Just not the way I wanted to do it, security wise. We have 3 kids so liked to security of Pr.

Anyway no advice. Just wanted to let you know we are in the same boat.
Good luck.xx

christmasoompa Jan 14th 2013 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by lydiaparr (Post 10481883)
I think it would be v difficult to go over as a nurse from what I understand now. Especially for me as I am paediatric trained.

Really not sure what mine and hubby's options are now. My husband is a software engineer so we are considering him going out looking for a job in the next few months.

Just not the way I wanted to do it, security wise. We have 3 kids so liked to security of PR

You can still go with PR. If anything, the FSW program has got an awful lot easier for most people as there is no longer a list of eligible occupations in demand. So you could apply with your husband is the principal applicant, assuming he meets the points score etc.

Of course, working as a nurse over there and getting your qualifications recognised, is another matter altogether!

Good luck.

lydiaparr Jan 15th 2013 10:55 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10482579)
You can still go with PR. If anything, the FSW program has got an awful lot easier for most people as there is no longer a list of eligible occupations in demand. So you could apply with your husband is the principal applicant, assuming he meets the points score etc.

Of course, working as a nurse over there and getting your qualifications recognised, is another matter altogether!

Good luck.

Thankyou so much christmasoompa.
Could I just ask. Does he have to have a job offer first before applying.?
if so how does that work.?
Is the employer expected to wait for the federal skilled worker application to come through or can you go on twp and still have a application in.

Also, if we can apply in May. What things should we be doing now to help our application.?
Sorry to ask but I haven't got my head around the new immigration rules yet. X:confused:

christmasoompa Jan 15th 2013 10:58 am

Originally Posted by lydiaparr (Post 10483803)
Thankyou so much christmasoompa.
Could I just ask. Does he have to have a job offer first before applying.?
if so how does that work.?
Is the employer expected to wait for the federal skilled worker application to come through or can you go on twp and still have a application in.

Also, if we can apply in May. What things should we be doing now to help our application.?
Sorry to ask but I haven't got my head around the new immigration rules yet. X:confused:

No, no job offer required. Just check that whoever is going to be the principal applicant meets the requirements (points score, proof of funds, etc).

To apply in May (and you will need to have your application there on 4th May imo, I think that if there is no longer an occupation in demand list the quota will fill instantly!), you'd need all the usual i.e. IELTS result, police check etc. Just download the application pack so you can see what is required, and start filling in the forms etc.

Good luck.

lydiaparr Jan 15th 2013 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10483809)
No, no job offer required. Just check that whoever is going to be the principal applicant meets the requirements (points score, proof of funds, etc).

To apply in May (and you will need to have your application there on 4th May imo, I think that if there is no longer an occupation in demand list the quota will fill instantly!), you'd need all the usual i.e. IELTS result, police check etc. Just download the application pack so you can see what is required, and start filling in the forms etc.

Good luck.

Just wanted to thank you christmasoompa. You have made my day.
I will let hubby know and we will get cracking with it again.xx

scribe123 Jan 20th 2013 1:39 pm

The only thing that springs to mind here - and I'm not complaining if it allows me to apply - is that with the exception of having qualifications assessed, the application process is back to where it was years ago when they built up a massive backlog and it took around 5 years to get PR

...... or am I missing something here?

Also, has anything concrete been released about the assessment of qualifications?

I've been looking and all I can find is something akin to 'watch this space'. I'm assuming qualifications will have to be assessed in advance (who knows how long that will take) and proof sent with the application, therefore it's still unknown if it will be possible to apply on the 4th May.

Cheers

christmasoompa Jan 20th 2013 2:56 pm

The one thing you are missing, and that will be very different to how it was a few years ago with a massive backlog, is that there will be a very small quota for applications.

lydiaparr Jan 20th 2013 5:35 pm

So what you are saying is that,even if you send your application to arrive on May 4th, it will be a lottery as to weather it gets into the quota.

christmasoompa Jan 20th 2013 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by lydiaparr (Post 10495041)
So what you are saying is that,even if you send your application to arrive on May 4th, it will be a lottery as to weather it gets into the quota.

Nobody knows yet. We don't know how big the quota will be, although we do know it will be smaller than in past years, and we don't know if people will be able to apply on May 4th anyway (the program opens then, but as part of the new criteria is credential assessment, that may not be announced until much nearer the time, meaning nobody is reading to apply on May 4th anyway!).

Basically, it's a wait and see answer.

scribe123 Jan 21st 2013 8:12 am

Thanks Christmasoompa, there's nothing like certainty to make a process easy :)

Dave n Ailsa Jan 21st 2013 5:55 pm

It looks to me like they are doing some weeding out BEFORE thousands apply, which makes sense. If you can't get your qualifications varified then there's no point applying.

At least that's what I'm reading from all this.

alcat2010 Mar 26th 2013 4:07 pm

So in short....

Absolutely nothing has changed then??!!! :rofl:

The whole process of emigrating is still : time consuming, costly, smoke and mirrors, rumours, lack of information from cic, confusion from cic, obstacles, uncertainty, hoop jumping...

Ive said this before in the past, but WHY do Canada seem to make it so difficult for people (who they "supposedley" need for their skills shortages..)

Australia is starting to seem more and more appealing.... :blink:

christmasoompa Mar 26th 2013 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by alcat2010 (Post 10624916)
Ive said this before in the past, but WHY do Canada seem to make it so difficult for people (who they "supposedley" need for their skills shortages..)

Australia is starting to seem more and more appealing.... :blink:

I don't see how it's 'difficult' for those who they need tbh? It's cheaper than emigrating to Oz, and easier for most (several stages for Oz from what I understand, including skills assessment). If you qualify, then it's a fairly straightforward and quick process. If you don't, then it's not - but then your skills aren't needed by the Canadian government, so why should it be?!

alcat2010 Mar 26th 2013 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10625035)
I don't see how it's 'difficult' for those who they need tbh? It's cheaper than emigrating to Oz, and easier for most (several stages for Oz from what I understand, including skills assessment). If you qualify, then it's a fairly straightforward and quick process. If you don't, then it's not - but then your skills aren't needed by the Canadian government, so why should it be?!

You don't see how its difficult?? I really am amazed and perplexed at that comment. And a little annoyed.

For one, the oz comment from myself was tongue in cheek. But it was also through knowledge of how much easier emigrating seems to be.
My wife has worked with several colleagues (nurses) who have secured a job (over the phone)moved over in a matter of MONTHS.
Obviously they're will b many exceptions, that's why it was said in semi jest.

Now if you are in someway discarding the joke of a process cic have been trying to run the past few years I.e. applications getting put on hold for YEARS, some not even getting processed bfore 2008, Last year closing the intake at the last second, only DAYS before supposed date etc etc

So our skills aren't in demand anymore? So the answer to my original harmless question if anything had changed has been answered by the oracle that is Christmasoompa?..
For someone who calls themselves a 'moderator' or whatever title you have, I find it insulting you feel its ok to come out with such cheeky replies.

"Straightforward and quick" for a federal skilled worker, I.e. a registered nurse? Nonsense.

You said it yourself in previous posts "no one knows", "we don't know how big the quota will be" blah blah blah.
My exact point.
The whole process is STILL full of uncertainty, incompetence, rumours, guesswork.

Thanks for your input/guesswork anyway.

christmasoompa Mar 26th 2013 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by alcat2010 (Post 10625313)
You don't see how its difficult?? I really am amazed and perplexed at that comment. And a little annoyed.

Can't see why you're annoyed, it's just my personal opinion. I am allowed one y'know. ;):lol:

My wife has worked with several colleagues (nurses) who have secured a job (over the phone)moved over in a matter of MONTHS.

As could a nurse to Canada, on a TWP.

Now if you are in someway discarding the joke of a process cic have been trying to run the past few years I.e. applications getting put on hold for YEARS, some not even getting processed bfore 2008, Last year closing the intake at the last second, only DAYS before supposed date etc etc

I never said that it was easy or straightforward for all - I said that for those in demand it is. And I'm not talking about FSW either, I'm talking about all visa routes. For instance, somebody that is being transferred with their company can be offered the job one day, turn up to the airport the next and be granted a 3 year TWP that leads to PR. Not sure how that could be any easier! I know that some who have applied as FSW have had a nightmare wait etc (myself included as it happens), but I wasn't focussing on that one visa route, I was looking at all of them as a whole. Canada is still much easier and quicker than a lot of other countries, and for those in demand, it is (IMO) relatively painless.

So the answer to my original harmless question if anything had changed has been answered by the oracle that is Christmasoompa?

You're welcome. I'm so pleased I took the time to respond politely to it.

For someone who calls themselves a 'moderator' or whatever title you have, I find it insulting you feel its ok to come out with such cheeky replies.

I don't call myself a moderator, the site admins do. Not that I have any idea what that has to do with me responding to you though. :confused: And FWIW, it wasn't cheeky, it was perfectly polite, and just my opinion. No need to jump down my throat for it!

alcat2010 Mar 26th 2013 9:36 pm

Don't insult my intelligence by trying to imply you're response was 'polite and friendly'

If you're not some official moderator for this website/forum then what are you? Someone who has a bit too much time on their hands?

You implied that 'our skills are not in demand', so you obviously feel you have some further knowledge than others regarding what Canada does or doesn't need.

Don't try and twist you're words now, you said TO ME, "it was straightforward". You did not initially imply FOR ALL.. Nonsense

When I get a rare chance to sit and write on this forum, its usually for straightforward information regarding the immigration process, so yes youre patronising opinion / comments and manner annoy me. = the fsw process for a nurse IS NOT STRAIGHTFORWARD.

again, don't insult my intelligence by insinuating you did not know my I was referring to fsw. You knew.

alcat2010 Mar 26th 2013 9:44 pm

you state,
" its straightforward and quick process for those in demand"

Nonsense.

Registered nurses WERE in demand the last time we were applying I.e. July 2012. AND the year before..

I, plus thousands more will testify being allegedly 'in demand' DOES NOT equate to a "straightforward + quick process"

Don't patronise people.

christmasoompa Mar 26th 2013 9:48 pm

Good grief. What a response to a simple comment!

It seems you've taken my reply personally for some reason. Perhaps I should clarify that when I said 'If you qualify, then it's a fairly straightforward and quick process. If you don't, then it's not - but then your skills aren't needed by the Canadian government, so why should it be?!', the 'you' wasn't actually aimed at you personally, it was an indefinite pronoun! I meant any applicant - perhaps I should have said 'one' instead to save any confusion. Certainly as a nurse, your wife's skills *are* in demand.

Originally Posted by alcat2010 (Post 10625524)
again, don't insult my intelligence by insinuating you did not know my I was referring to fsw. You knew.

Ah yes, of course my psychic powers were working just fine. :lol: FSW is only one route of many that caters for skills shortages, so no, I didn't know which you were referring to.

Not that it makes any difference really, I still think that for people who are working in 'skills shortage' areas (whether that's the LMO exempt occupations, FSTP, cat 1 of FSW etc), it is relatively quick and easy, certainly compared to those that have to go via much more onerous routes or compared to other countries such as the US.

But that's just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it - or to snap at me for it either! :)

alexbellamy Mar 26th 2013 10:02 pm

Wow Tuesday night is fight night down the OK "Expats" Corale.

Allcat2010 why don't you go the TWP route and do PR via one of the other classes when over there, PNP, experience class etc. Rather than complaining about how confusing or hard it all is, this way might equal some action.

PS an apology is in order here, in case you missed that subtlety. Well out of order...

luvmeboys Mar 26th 2013 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by alexbellamy (Post 10625571)
Wow Tuesday night is fight night down the OK "Expats" Corale.

Allcat2010 why don't you go the TWP route and do PR via one of the other classes when over there, PNP, experience class etc. Rather than complaining about how confusing or hard it all is, this way might equal some action.

PS an apology is in order here, in case you missed that subtlety. Well out of order...

+1

jimmydean Mar 26th 2013 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by alcat2010 (Post 10475707)

Hope to hear any replies ! :thumbsup:

I hear it is a lot easier to get into Australia if that helps

fabretti18 Mar 26th 2013 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by alexbellamy (Post 10625571)
Wow

+1 too

alcat2010 Mar 27th 2013 10:58 am

I dont come on a computer forum to argue with people. Im not that sad, and Ive got more important things to do.

When I write on here its usually to ask for assistance / information. For which I am very grateful for when its given. Personal comments with patronising undertones arent helpful or needed. Its just a waste of everyones time.

I say they are not needed as my first post though was quite clearly asking what updates have been made to the fsw process, and that my wife was a nurse.

Their is NO DOUBT that emigrating AS A NURSE through the fsw route is a bit of a farce. We did / do qualify and It IS difficult.
The main difficulties is not only being limited to 500 applications in one year, but also the hoop jumping / expensive re-training nurses have to do.

I dont find it "confusing", as someone stated. I find it so un-organised and very frustrating. I dont expect immigration to be simple, but at least get some structure to it.

I received a reply from christmasoompa stating :

I was irked by this comment as I took it to be directed to me. Ive re-read it a few times and still wonder how you can say it wasnt directed at me?

You say you "I don't see how it's 'difficult' for those who they need tbh"
I dont see how unless someone is actually a nurse themselves and attempting the process can they comment and say "its not difficult".

Anyway, we dont have the benefit of standing face to face and having a normal discussion, people cant portray properly what the are really trying to get across.

christmasoompa Mar 27th 2013 11:33 am

Originally Posted by alcat2010 (Post 10626392)
I say they are not needed as my first post though was quite clearly asking what updates have been made to the fsw.

Which I helped you with, see post no. 2 above.

Originally Posted by alcat2010 (Post 10626392)
I was irked by this comment as I took it to be directed to me. Ive re-read it a few times and still wonder how you can say it wasnt directed at me?

As said above, I was using the 'you' as an indefinite pronoun, purely because I think 'one' can be a bit poncey! But if it helps, I've rewritten it replacing 'you' with 'one' so that hopefully you'll understand it was in no way directed at you personally (particularly as your wife's job *is* in demand, so it's not even applicable to your situation!).

I don't see how it's 'difficult' for those who they need tbh? It's cheaper than emigrating to Oz, and easier for most (several stages for Oz from what I understand, including skills assessment). If one qualifies, then it's a fairly straightforward and quick process. If one doesn't, then it's not - but then one's skills aren't needed by the Canadian government, so why should it be?!

I still don't feel that the tirade you directed at me was warranted, and clearly neither do others. But hopefully you now understand that my comments were not having a go. You gave your opinion on visa applications for Canada, and I gave mine which happens to differ from yours. But I didn't mean any of it personally!

As said above, if you still want to go and can't apply as FSW, then do look at other visa routes.

Best of luck.

alcat2010 Mar 27th 2013 12:50 pm

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree.

You say its not difficult to emigrate to canada if in demand.

I say in our experiences so far, spanning back to 2008. Its IS made difficult.
Its made more difficult with not only the initial application farce with CIC, (which cant really be argued with surely? )

But also the re-training that has to be carried out.
(although that annoyance can probably be vented towards the UK government for changing the type of specific training given to its nurses as opposed to generally trained)

Regardless whether you say the said comment was not directed at me but more in a general sense is now a bit irrelevant.

The point I made about the fsw visa system being a joke, I feel is MORE than justified.
I just found it hard to contemplate how anyone can flippantly state "its straightforward, quick and not difficult"
You did say this. And that WAS directed at me... No question.

You also said
"FSW is only one route of many that caters for skills shortages, so no, I didn't know which you were referring to"

Come on Christmasoompa, You did... You even said yourself you answered in relation to the fsw in your post no.2....

After months and months of not looking at the process since last july, I discovered through previous posts on this thread, even from yourself i.e. "no one knows" that it is STILL an unclarified joke.. That was the point I was making.

christmasoompa Mar 27th 2013 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by alcat2010 (Post 10626589)
You also said
"FSW is only one route of many that caters for skills shortages, so no, I didn't know which you were referring to"

Come on Christmasoompa, You did... You even said yourself you answered in relation to the fsw in your post no.2....

Don't accuse me of lying please. You didn't state FSW in that particular post. I've no idea why you're so fixated on FSW when it's only one visa route of many available to you!

Anyway, as you say, we'll have to agree to disagree. Next time though, pls disagree without 'shouting' and personal attacks, thx.

Thread closed.