Its Annoying

Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

kittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant future
Thumbs down Its Annoying

My sons got laid off from there job in Calgary as so as many others, they are desperatley trying to find work, as usual companies willing to take them on UNTIL they have to do the LMO, so this morning they went down to the Harry Hayes building to try and get some help, guidence from the Immigration dept there, just how wrong can you be I know this seems racist but everyone else was given appoinments and help my sons was told no sorry cant help, take it we are the wrong col, speak english, all they wanted was to change the work permit to a open one just until is runs out so they can get enough monies together to go back to the uk. :curse:
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its Annoying

Originally Posted by kittsrush
all they wanted was to change the work permit to a open one just until is runs out so they can get enough monies together to go back to the uk. :curse:
No such thing as being able to get an open work permit, unless you are the spouse of a TWP or study permit holder, certainly wouldn't apply in their cases.

Why don't they just apply for Bunac as I previously suggested?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

kittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No such thing as being able to get an open work permit, unless you are the spouse of a TWP or study permit holder, certainly wouldn't apply in their cases.

Why don't they just apply for Bunac as I previously suggested?
Well if you new about BUNAC you have to be in the UK to apply for it not already in Canada
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittsrush
Well if you new about BUNAC you have to be in the UK to apply for it not already in Canada
No, you can apply for it anywhere in the world. They can apply online tonight in Canada if they want. They would have to be in the UK whilst it's being processed but that's only for 6 weeks or so.

From what you've posted before (going back 18 months when you started asking how they could stay - and in fact were told about Bunac then, shame you didn't take the advice back in 2007 as they'd be PR's by now!), that is their only option if they want to stay.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:00 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

No, you can apply for it anywhere in the world. They can apply online tonight in Canada if they want. They would have to be in the UK whilst it's being processed but that's only for 6 weeks or so.

From what you've posted before (going back 18 months when you started asking how they could stay - and in fact were told about Bunac then, shame you didn't take the advice back in 2007 as they'd be PR's by now!), that is their only option if they want to stay.
BUNACs a lottery anyway, its massively oversubscribed and the years allocation is snapped up in no time.

There is no chance at all of getting an open work permit Im afraid, but AFAIK if you are seeking work in a similar vein to your old permit you dont always need the LMO at least, there is some latitude to just amend the exiting permit to the new employer. However the new LMO is the normal procedure.

I'm not swearing that's true, but I though I had read here of at least one person doing it without being required to get a LMO from scratch?

I do take offence at the OPs ascertain that their rejection was somehow racially motivated. You have no idea what business the other funny coloured foreigners had there, and what their circumstances were. If you went there seeking an "Open" permit, no wonder you were summarily rejected, its simply not an option in their circumstances. They need to find an employer willing to follow the usual route, then perhaps they could stay longer. If they just want enough money to come home I'm sure there are plenty of "Cash in hand" employers if you catch my drift.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 12th 2009 at 6:06 am.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by iaink
BUNACs a lottery anyway, its massively oversubscribed and the years allocation is snapped up in no time.
It's still open for this year, only opened a month ago so there are still visas left. So if they get their skates on they'd be fine.

P.S. I also took offence at the implication that it was racist that they'd not been given a work permit that doesn't actually exist......erm?!? And was a bit confused as to why OP was so cross/upset about it when OP had already been advised a month ago that there was no such thing - previous thread in which she asked about it and PMM advised entire process (including LMO application) would have to be gone through again and no such thing as an open work permit in their circumstances.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 12th 2009 at 6:10 am.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:10 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

It's still open for this year, only opened a month ago so there are still visas left. So if they get their skates on they'd be fine.
Except that its a lottery...so no guarantee at all of success, especially as they are already here in a TWP....

Typically its viewed as an option for those without status in canada already, and for those viewed as being at a low risk of overstaying. If I was an Immigration Officer and had an application from someone who was already here on a TWP, looking to extend a stay through BUNAC, it would occur to me that they might want to "extend" that stay too....
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Except that its a lottery...so no guarantee at all of success, especially as they are already here in a TWP....

Typically its viewed as an option for those without status in canada already, and for those viewed as being at a low risk of overstaying. If I was an Immigration Officer and had an application from someone who was already here on a TWP, looking to extend a stay through BUNAC, it would occur to me that they might want to "extend" that stay too....
Sorry, I'm clearly missing something here - how is it a lottery? You apply and if you qualify, you get a visa. Or if the visas are all gone, the programme is closed for the year so you can't apply in the first place.

And I don't think they've ever been there on a TWP - if you look back at previous posts any job offers have been retracted before it's got that far. They have just been there as visitors and extended that status repeatedly from what I can gather, whilst trying to find jobs and an employer prepared to apply for LMO for them.

I suggested Bunac the other day as in a years time the OP will be able to sponsor them via the Alberta PNP Family Stream, so thought it would give them that year they need to stay in Canada before she is eligible to do that (you have to have been PR's for 2 years and they have only been for one year I believe).

Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:17 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. I also took offence at the implication that it was racist that they'd not been given a work permit that doesn't actually exist......erm?!? And was a bit confused as to why OP was so cross/upset about it when OP had already been advised a month ago that there was no such thing - previous thread in which she asked about it and PMM advised entire process (including LMO application) would have to be gone through again and no such thing as an open work permit in their circumstances.

An example of You can lead a horse to water.....................
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:21 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Sorry, I'm clearly missing something here - how is it a lottery? You apply and if you qualify, you get a visa. Or if the visas are all gone, the programme is closed for the year so you can't apply in the first place.

And I don't think they've ever been there on a TWP - if you look back at previous posts any job offers have been retracted before it's got that far. They have just been there as visitors and extended that status repeatedly from what I can gather, whilst trying to find jobs and an employer prepared to apply for LMO for them.

I suggested Bunac the other day as in a years time the OP will be able to sponsor them via the Alberta PNP Family Stream, so thought it would give them that year they need to stay in Canada before she is eligible to do that (you have to have been PR's for 2 years and they have only been for one year I believe).

Lottery as in "many apply, few are winners"

Sorry, Id assumed from the first post that as they were working that the must have had a TWP and been made redundant, and were subsequently looking for work. If they were here working without a TWP, I dont see the fuss, just find another grey economy job and save up to come home, if thats what they are really planning to do anyway.

Either way, I would still think (nothing more that gut feel) that multiple renewals of a visitors visa was not likely to impress an officer that they would leave hassle free once a one time only BUNAC visa expired? Still, its got a better chance of success than asking for an open work permit!

Last edited by iaink; Jan 12th 2009 at 6:23 am.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Lottery as in "many apply, few are winners"

Sorry, Id assumed from the first post that as they were working that the must have had a TWP and been made redundant, and were subsequently looking for work.

Either way, I would still think (nothing more that gut feel) that multiple renewals of a visitors visa was not likely to impress officer that they would leave hassle free once a one time only BUNAC visa expired? Still, its got a better chance of success than asking for an open work permit!
Think Bunac must have changed recently then, now they just shut the programme when there are no more visas available. So for example, everybody that has applied since it opened in early December is guaranteed a place on the programme apparently (assuming of course they subsequently meet selection criteria i.e. don't turn out to have murdered their granny or sell hard drugs to small children etc). So don't think it's a lottery anymore. They seem to have made massive changes to it in the past couple of years, now you can even go if you're married as well!

I agree it is unlikely to impress a visa officer though but not sure they've got any other choice? I'd give it a shot in their shoes anyway.