Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IRCC Request for translated Passport Stamps

IRCC Request for translated Passport Stamps

Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:00 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default IRCC Request for translated Passport Stamps

Hi

We had our Citizenship Test and Interview today. We passed the test then had the interview. The officer has asked me to provide a copy of each page of my passports (two passports covering last 5 years) and for me to provide certified translations of any stamp not in English or French.

I believe this is due to the fact I have been significantly outside of Canada in last five years with work (but not over the residency obligations). I assume it is only my word for this at moment hence they will check everything.

So has anyone else been asked for this? I have two sets of stamps (Egypt and Turkey) which need translating but do i do every stamp (some 30 stamps) or just every stamp type. The Turkish ones are very readable and only 2 words in Turkish.

I should add they have yet to send me the official notification on this. Hence just wondering if anyone knows what they will ask.

Thanks

JB0591

Last edited by JB0591; Mar 3rd 2017 at 12:06 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IRCC Request for translated Passport Stamps

What do you mean "every stamp type"?

If you are requested to get all stamps from your passport that are not in English or French translated, then I'm afraid that's what you'll have to do. Ensure you read the instructions as to who can do the translations, procedure etc.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 2:36 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Snowy560
What do you mean "every stamp type"?

If you are requested to get all stamps from your passport that are not in English or French translated, then I'm afraid that's what you'll have to do. Ensure you read the instructions as to who can do the translations, procedure etc.
What I mean by stamp type is the fact i have 7 Egyptian Stamps and 25 Turkish stamps. The Turkish stamps all show the date in English and have either exit or entry word in Turkish e.g. two stamp types. The Egyptian ones are two types, entry and exit, but as the date is in Arabic each will need to be translated.

The first quote I received to do all off them is $270 CAD. Will be $72 if I dont have to do each Turkish one.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are asked to get all passport stamps translated, in order to comply, you can't pick and choose one or two.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you are using a translator who has done this before it should be a simple affidavit by them basically saying who they are and they examined a passport.
On pages X X X X there was a stamp stating X X X X.

Taken from the CIC website

Policy
Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation, if required.
Translations by family members are not acceptable. A family member is defined as being a parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or first cousin.

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the place where the affidavit is sworn, that the contents of the translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit.
What is an affidavit for a translation?

If translator is outside of Canada
Outside of Canada:

Guide 5527 - Application for Permanent Residence, Temporary Resident Permit Holder
a notary public
Authority to administer oaths varies by country. Consult your local authorities.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

The not for profit agency I've used charges by the word with a minimum charge. They know exactly how to present it for IRCC. I'm in BC or I'd post the details.

When I got a passport stamp translated for PRC renewal, I also got a "certified as true copy of the original" seal for the passport page copy I sent to IRCC from a notary separately (different provider).

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 6th 2017 at 3:57 pm.