Invitation Letter?

Old Jul 11th 2002, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

PatC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Invitation Letter?

I have previously heard from friends about an invitation letter that you can send to a friend/family member to help them obtain a visitor visa to Canada. I have not seen any info on this on Canada Immigration site or Quebec Immigration site.

Does this invitation really exist ? If so, can you also specify on it that you will having them as guests in your home during their visit and can support them for meals, etc ?

Thanks for any potential answers!

Regards,
PatC
Old Jul 11th 2002, 12:20 pm
Chris

Default Re: Invitation Letter?

Yes, it DOES exist! It is in fact an affidavit. In Toronto area, where I live, you
must go to any Ontario Provincial Court (you find them in White Pages, so far I used
Old City Hall and the one in Scarborough, 1921 Eglinton Ave. E). You ask for a
General Form for Affidavit. Usually you find this special form in the Justice of
Peace office. You take it and fill it out at home (type it up). Then, bring it back,
but do NOT sign it! You will have to see a Justice of Peace on duty at that time,
he/she will give you the Bible to swear that everything you wrote in the affidavit is
the truth and nothing but the truth. And you will sign it in front of the Judge. At
the end, the Justice of Peace will sign the form and also he/she will stamp it with
his/her own stamp. Obviously you will have to provide some ID, driving license is
just enough. In the affidavit you can say anything you want, that you want to invite
your parents or friends, etc., that you will provide for them lodging and food for a
period of xx months, maximum 12 months. If you have any assets, house, car, you can
write it down, also the value of your assets. Besides this affidavit, you must send
to the Canadian Embassy overseas a job letter, your employer must sign it of course.
In this letter, he will write down your position and salary within the company. Also,
you will send photocopies of your Canadian citizenship card or PR visa. And optional,
it's not a bad idea to get the latest bank statements, the Canadian Embassy will see
how much money you have in your account (s). All the above is required by the
Canadian Embassy in Bucharest, Romania, and I have no idea if other offices around
the world are asking for the same documents. I have invited my parents many times,
and they NEVER had any problem getting a visitor visa for 12 months. Even I am
Canadian citizen, I do not think that being just a PR in Canada will give you some
hard time inviting your friends or family members to come over. Hope this helps. If
you have further questions, feel free to send me a buzz. Chris from Toronto

"PatC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have previously heard from friends about an invitation letter that you can send
    > to a friend/family member to help them obtain a visitor visa to Canada. I have not
    > seen any info on this on Canada Immigration site or Quebec Immigration site.
    >
    > Does this invitation really exist ? If so, can you also specify on it that you will
    > having them as guests in your home during their visit and can support them for
    > meals, etc ?
    >
    > Thanks for any potential answers!
    >
    > Regards, PatC
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 12th 2002, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

That's great, thanks!! Just another few quick questions:

Have your parents visited you recently ? (referring to events of last year is USA).

Also, who can give this to the embassy in his country ? Does it have to be me who sends it personally, or can I send it to him directly so he can have it with him when he applies?

Btw, I'm a Canadian Citizen also.

Thanks again for all your help!
PatC
Old Jul 12th 2002, 3:20 pm
Chris

Last time my parents were in Canada between April 2000 and April 2001. And in two
months my mother is coming over again, alone this time, my father passed away a
couple of months ago. She has already got her visitor visa. She has been many times
in Canada, that's why was just a formality for her to get approval. No interview,
just the medical examination. About 9/11 now, I think it counts where they are coming
from (if it's Middle East and they are Muslims it might be a security problem) and
also counts their age, the younger they are the fewer chances to get a visitor visa.
But in any case, they MUST proof strong ties in their home country. If you invite
parents, you, in Canada, must proof that you can provide for them accordingly (that's
what I said in my previous message). You, in Canada, the sponsor, will send your
documents to those you are inviting in Canada, and they, along with their own
documents, will bring them all to the Embassy in their home country. It's like a
package, your documents and theirs, the application form and the paid fee, in just
one big envelope. But all the details I just gave you should be posted outside the
Canadian Embassy in their home country, at least that's the case in Bucharest,
Romania. But once again, don't rely entirely on me, the above is valid in Romania,
and maybe other offices have different requirements. Any further questions, let me
know and I will try to give you the best advice. Best of Luck. Chris

"PatC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > That's great, thanks!! Just another few quick questions:
    >
    > Have your parents visited you recently ? (referring to events of last year is USA).
    >
    > Also, who can give this to the embassy in his country ? Does it have to be me who
    > sends it personally, or can I send it to him directly so he can have it with him
    > when he applies?
    >
    > Btw, I'm a Canadian Citizen also.
    >
    > Thanks again for all your help! PatC
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > PatC
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 26th 2002, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Chris for all the useful info you gave...much appreciated!

I have one more question (don't we always heh):

Is it helpful if two people issue an invitation letter, the reason being is that the person visiting Canada would like to visit more than one province (i.e. Quebec and Ontario). Would it be wise/helpful/harmful for the visitor to have two letters of invitation in the manner you described, one from each province?

To be more specific, will it hurt or help or not make a difference?

Thanks for any info you could offer!

Regards,
PatC