Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Investment in a business in Canada to live and work

Investment in a business in Canada to live and work

Old Dec 31st 2017, 11:06 am
Just Joined

amaly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Investment in a business in Canada to live and work

Hi All,

My family and I would like to immigrate to BC Canada from UK.We would like to buy a suitable business or invest in a Canadian investor program ,whichever is quickest.Can anyone recommend a law firm or a business agents to help us with our applications.Any advise would be highly appreciated,Thank you so much.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Investment in a business in Canada to live and work

https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...ur-Immigration

Here’s the info for the BC stream I think you mean. I don’t think a lawyer or “business agent” is required.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Thank you shirtback very helpful.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 4:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There is also the 'start up visa' route https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tart-visa.html and 'self employed visa' route https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-employed.html

Start-up visa <- FAQ's

I think both can take quite some time, but may be worth a look.

Old Jan 1st 2018, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Great,thank you.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 12:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amaly
Great,thank you.
Not sure how long you're thinking of when you say 'quickest', but as Siouxie has said, neither will be that quick. The self-employed route in particular takes a long time (approx 5 years processing time on the CIC website at the mo).

When you say 'family', just checking, but do you mean and spouse and/or dependent children? They are the only ones that would be allowed to go on your visa application.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
I would like to buy a business or start a similar restaurant which I have in London.Would this be a investor rather than a self employed ?As I also understand I can deposit 800,000 CAD to the government investment scheme ,would this be faster ?
Family my wife and kids.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 12:12 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I would like to buy a business or start a similar restaurant which I have in London.Would this be a investor rather than a self employed ?As I also understand I can deposit 800,000 CAD to the government investment scheme ,would this be faster ?
Family my wife and kids.
Self-employed is limited to farmers, the arts and sport.
Under the Self-Employed Persons Program, what does cultural activities mean?

Investor scheme for $800k is in Quebec.
Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion Québec - Programme des investisseurs

(If you cannot read it in French, it may not be the right program)

Business immigration program
Also look at the discontinued programs, some of the old ones are no longer offered. Google may come of with old cached pages that no longer apply.

The rest of Canada the net worth requirement is $10m and an investment of $2m for 15 years.

The start up visa may be of interest What is the minimum investment that I would need to apply for a start-up visa?
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 3:02 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Self-employed is limited to farmers, the arts and sport.
Under the Self-Employed Persons Program, what does cultural activities mean?

Investor scheme for $800k is in Quebec.
Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion Québec - Programme des investisseurs

(If you cannot read it in French, it may not be the right program)

Business immigration program
Also look at the discontinued programs, some of the old ones are no longer offered. Google may come of with old cached pages that no longer apply.

The rest of Canada the net worth requirement is $10m and an investment of $2m for 15 years.

The start up visa may be of interest What is the minimum investment that I would need to apply for a start-up visa?
Not for the Entrepreneur program in BC, as linked to by Shirtback..
To qualify, you must:

have a personal net worth of at least CAD$600,000
demonstrate business and/or management experience
have, or be eligible for, legal immigration status in Canada
and
Business, job and investment requirements

To qualify you must:

establish an eligible new business or purchase and improve an existing business
make an eligible personal investment of at least CAD$200,000 in the business
create at least one new full-time job for a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in the business
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 7:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Investment in a business in Canada to live and work

Hi,
Family my wife and kids.
That program closed a few years ago, so to move to BC you're limited to the BC program or Start Up visa from what you've said.

How old are the kids?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 2nd 2018 at 8:07 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 8:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Not for the Entrepreneur program in BC, as linked to by Shirtback..
To qualify, you must:

have a personal net worth of at least CAD$600,000
demonstrate business and/or management experience
have, or be eligible for, legal immigration status in Canada
and
Business, job and investment requirements

To qualify you must:

establish an eligible new business or purchase and improve an existing business
make an eligible personal investment of at least CAD$200,000 in the business
create at least one new full-time job for a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in the business
Although worth noting that the higher the net worth, the higher the points score. So although $200k is the minimum investment, iirc at that level very few points would be given under the investment section and the OP would need to make points up elsewhere. Sounds like he's got far more to invest, but just thought I'd mention the points for anybody else reading.

So the more the better!
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for your kind input,

SIOUXIE
600,000 CAD-Is this investment anywhere in Canada gov scheme and the process time ?And the 200,000 -400,000 to start and establish a business in Canada is this anywhere and the time to process the application ?

CHRISTMASOOMPA

What Is the BC program ? Is the startup visa still running in the BC area
as this area would be ideal for me ?Who do I contact ?The kids are 7 and 16.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 8:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

The $600.000/$200,000 is the BC PNP, so no it's not anywhere in Canada - it must be in BC.

The Start Up Visa is Federal, so you can go anywhere.

The relevant links are given above. Grab a cuppa and get reading!