Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Intra-company transfer: what happens to partner?

Intra-company transfer: what happens to partner?

Old Jun 30th 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Intra-company transfer: what happens to partner?

Hi everyone,
This is my first post, definitely not the last. It's very likely that my partner will be going to Canada via an intra-company transfer. What happens to me, though? We're not married. Will I get the same visa? How do we go about it? Thank you.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intra-company transfer: what happens to partner?

Assuming you are from the UK you will have to remain in the UK while your partner is open to the advances of the Canadian species of male or female who will entice that person with their charms. How will they react to the spohisticated and sexy Quebecois language of love, or to the welcoming Northernerner who spends upto 60 days without sun in the cold bleek winter periods.
Perhaps the strong rugged charm of a hard working East Coaster will melt their heart or the caring and understanding of the hippie type who frequents the West Coast and is in touch with nature.
Be aware of the Ontarian who is only out for themselves as everything evolves around them as they are the centre of attraction.
Failing that if you are considered common law partners then you can also apply to come and work if you wish
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/arriving.asp#famwork
Old Jun 30th 2012, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Assuming you are from the UK you will have to remain in the UK while your partner is open to the advances of the Canadian species of male or female who will entice that person with their charms. How will they react to the spohisticated and sexy Quebecois language of love, or to the welcoming Northernerner who spends upto 60 days without sun in the cold bleek winter periods.
Perhaps the strong rugged charm of a hard working East Coaster will melt their heart or the caring and understanding of the hippie type who frequents the West Coast and is in touch with nature.
Be aware of the Ontarian who is only out for themselves as everything evolves around them as they are the centre of attraction.
Failing that if you are considered common law partners then you can also apply to come and work if you wish
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/arriving.asp#famwork
Such a jovial post from the Lanc, is this whole Canada Day thing getting to you?

But the link he posted is good and should answer your question
Old Jun 30th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read, I can apply for an open work permit either in London or at port of entry. Which means that I don't need to stay in the UK whilst he goes to Canada, Former Lancastrian.

Will an open work permit allow me to work as a freelancer (self-emplyoyed)?
Old Jun 30th 2012, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
From what I've read, I can apply for an open work permit either in London or at port of entry. Which means that I don't need to stay in the UK whilst he goes to Canada, Former Lancastrian.

Will an open work permit allow me to work as a freelancer (self-emplyoyed)?
Yes it will providing the type of job doesnt require a medical. Is your OH going to be applying for the TWP at the POE and if so Id recommend that way.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes it will providing the type of job doesnt require a medical. Is your OH going to be applying for the TWP at the POE and if so Id recommend that way.
Thanks, Lanc. I'm not sure. Why would you recommend that?

From what I've read a medical is only required if you're going to work with children. Is that correct?
Old Jun 30th 2012, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
Thanks, Lanc. I'm not sure. Why would you recommend that?

From what I've read a medical is only required if you're going to work with children. Is that correct?
You may need a satisfactory medical assessment to obtain a work permit if:
•you wish to work in facilities where it is important to protect public health, such as: ◦health services;
◦child care;
◦primary or secondary education; OR

•you are coming to work in an agricultural occupation and you have lived in a designated country or territory; OR
•you are seeking to enter Canada to work for a period greater than six months, and you have lived in a designated country or territory for six consecutive months during the one-year period immediately preceding the date of your seeking entry.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...work/index.asp
Getting a TWP is quicker at the POE as you dont have to go through a consulate for approval providing eligible to apply at a POE
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ap...ble.asp#inside
Old Jun 30th 2012, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looks like I won't need a medical right now. But let's say, in 12 months' time I decide I want to, say, teach. What happens then? Do I need to reapply for a new work permit?
Old Jun 30th 2012, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nice

Change of status, dead straightforward.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you, everyone. All looks very good at the moment.