Intra Company Transfer

Old Jul 13th 2005, 10:38 am
Just Joined

graemejw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intra Company Transfer

Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer some advice?!

I work in the UK office of a multinational Belgian company, the Belgian Co has offices in Toronto. I have applied for & obtained a position with the Canadian branch. I have the detailed offer now in front of me.

The position was advertised in the Canadian press but no suitable candidates were found.

What documentation will I need to complete to effect this move. We (my wife & I) had assembled all the information needed for a Skilled Worker PR application & we comfortably exceed the points requirement. We were going to submit this last year when she fell pregnant with our now 8 month old daughter.

I guess i will need a Work Permit - can she & the baby join me in Canada - if the WP is granted.

I am a little confused.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 10:48 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Intra Company Transfer

If you are just the average employee of UK branch, not an executive or someone with rather unique skills then getting work permit as intra-company transfer will most likely not be applicable in your case. But if Canadian employer already advertised position nationwide, offering terms and conditions sufficient enough to attract and retain Canadians and they have evidence that they couldn't find anyone then they should apply for HRSDC for Labour Market Opinion and with such you will apply for work permit through CHC London.

If you include your spouse and kids in WP application then they will be able to join you in Canada.

Originally Posted by graemejw

I work in the UK office of a multinational Belgian company, the Belgian Co has offices in Toronto. I have applied for & obtained a position with the Canadian branch. I have the detailed offer now in front of me.

The position was advertised in the Canadian press but no suitable candidates were found.

What documentation will I need to complete to effect this move. We (my wife & I) had assembled all the information needed for a Skilled Worker PR application & we comfortably exceed the points requirement. We were going to submit this last year when she fell pregnant with our now 8 month old daughter.

I guess i will need a Work Permit - can she & the baby join me in Canada - if the WP is granted.

I am a little confused.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 12:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intra Company Transfer

Originally Posted by graemejw

I am a little confused.
Doesn't the company have a Canadian immigration lawyer to handle all this kind of stuff?

A work permit is not a substitute for permanent residence, so you should continue with the process. Why have you delayed applying just because of a pregnancy - with the queue in London so long you should have applied last year.

However talk with the lawyers about your options going forward as:
- once you're admitted to Canada for 12+ months you should be able to apply for immigration to CIC Buffalo as an alternative to London if you wish (not obligatory);
- there is some anecdotal evidence that CIC London give some priority in immigration applications to those with work permits. Get the lawyers to check this out.

Depending on your employers future plans for you, maybe see if they'll pay the cost of a PR application as well?

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Jul 13th 2005 at 12:17 pm.