Interview for spousal application

Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Location: I am living and working in South Gloucester in England, till I move to Canada.
Scottish Davie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interview for spousal application

Hi all,

I have returned to the UK, from Ontario this summer, for an immigration interview, which is now scheduled for November, 2007. The CIC have thrown my Canadian wife and I a curve ball, which my immigration consultant was not expecting, nor was I, they told me if it is so hard without your wife, why not just go to Canada, and wait till your PR comes through, and that is what I did. At least we spent 2 months together in the summer. I was wondering if anyone else has a similar experience, and how long it took between interview, and being given PR. We thought everything was going well. The CIC's concerns are that I previously visited Canada, and that my wife is claiming disability in Canada, but that makes her eligible to sponsor me, and money should not come into a spousal case. I have been working hard as a contractor in England for the last year and a half, to A) Support my wife, B) Visit my wife, and C), because contract work gives me the opportunity to take time off to be with my wife and family. We met in 2005, and got married at Christmas 2006, my stepchildren are care of the childrens aid society, because of my wifes abusive ex-partner, and her taking a breakdown through losing them. My wife is the most caring, loving woman I have ever met, and she would be with me here in the UK in a heartbeat, if we had the kids with us. I am working as an engineer, in the aerospace industry, and I can get constant well paid work here, but my family is not here, and the kids father will have rights to stop us bringing the kids over here. It is a mess, but any advice would be greately appreciated.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

kosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Interview for spousal application

Originally Posted by Scottish Davie
Hi all,

I have returned to the UK, from Ontario this summer, for an immigration interview, which is now scheduled for November, 2007. The CIC have thrown my Canadian wife and I a curve ball, which my immigration consultant was not expecting, nor was I, they told me if it is so hard without your wife, why not just go to Canada, and wait till your PR comes through, and that is what I did. At least we spent 2 months together in the summer. I was wondering if anyone else has a similar experience, and how long it took between interview, and being given PR. We thought everything was going well. The CIC's concerns are that I previously visited Canada, and that my wife is claiming disability in Canada, but that makes her eligible to sponsor me, and money should not come into a spousal case. I have been working hard as a contractor in England for the last year and a half, to A) Support my wife, B) Visit my wife, and C), because contract work gives me the opportunity to take time off to be with my wife and family. We met in 2005, and got married at Christmas 2006, my stepchildren are care of the childrens aid society, because of my wifes abusive ex-partner, and her taking a breakdown through losing them. My wife is the most caring, loving woman I have ever met, and she would be with me here in the UK in a heartbeat, if we had the kids with us. I am working as an engineer, in the aerospace industry, and I can get constant well paid work here, but my family is not here, and the kids father will have rights to stop us bringing the kids over here. It is a mess, but any advice would be greately appreciated.
Sorry but my reply isn`t quite in the same situation as yours as I`m an inland applicant, however it might put your mind at rest a little.

I was also called in for an interview during the summer. I panicked like hell, because the of the way they wrote the letter. Something about an examination and to clarify some concerns. Well that alone broke me into a cold sweat. I was crapping myself walking to the CIC office.

However it really wasn`t that bad at all. My interview was about twenty minutes. He wanted to go over the application as I missed a couple of boxes and also just to ask me about our relationship. I guess also before making a decision he just wanted to see the person he might grant residency status to.

Even though my spouses income level caused him concern, he was satisfied our relationship was bonafide and he approved her. The immigration officer has a lot of discretion. I was concerned when he questioned my partners income level, he didn`t think she earned enough to support us. However he looked beyond that. With that I was given AIP, then an open work permit.

Since then, I got a letter to say I have reached all the requirements to become a permanent resident. In a few weeks I will be landed
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Location: I am living and working in South Gloucester in England, till I move to Canada.
Scottish Davie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kosh
Sorry but my reply isn`t quite in the same situation as yours as I`m an inland applicant, however it might put your mind at rest a little.

I was also called in for an interview during the summer. I panicked like hell, because the of the way they wrote the letter. Something about an examination and to clarify some concerns. Well that alone broke me into a cold sweat. I was crapping myself walking to the CIC office.

However it really wasn`t that bad at all. My interview was about twenty minutes. He wanted to go over the application as I missed a couple of boxes and also just to ask me about our relationship. I guess also before making a decision he just wanted to see the person he might grant residency status to.

Even though my spouses income level caused him concern, he was satisfied our relationship was bonafide and he approved her. The immigration officer has a lot of discretion. I was concerned when he questioned my partners income level, he didn`t think she earned enough to support us. However he looked beyond that. With that I was given AIP, then an open work permit.

Since then, I got a letter to say I have reached all the requirements to become a permanent resident. In a few weeks I will be landed
Thank you for your reply,

I had my interview this week, which wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but my immigration consultants (Russ and Delphine Monsurate, of Avatar Immigration) who'm I will never have enough words of thanks to, had me well prepared for it. I wasn't asked for a fraction of the evidence I had got together, but I am glad I got all of the information just in case. Anyway, the officer was satisfied that I am devoted to my wife and family, and just requires a letter to be sent by the childrens aid, just to verify that I will not cause the children and disruption in their already difficult times. This will delay my PR being granted by around a month, so I should be home with my family for Christmas, which is better than I could have wished for as a Christmas present.

For anyone reading this post, I hope it gives you all hope, and I wish you the very best of luck with your applications.

Kind Regards,

Davie Martin.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

congrats Dave..i am happy to hear it went well...i truly wish the bestest of wishes to you and your family for a happy and long life together..
Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:25 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, Davie, you've been through a lot. So glad your interview went well. All the best with your plans.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:54 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy your new life in Canada, sounds like you and your wife really deserve it.
Charlie