Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

International Student nearing his graduation date and considering immigration Québec

Wikiposts

International Student nearing his graduation date and considering immigration Québec

Old Jan 1st 2005, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

inquirer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International Student nearing his graduation date and considering immigration Québec

Greetings everyone.

I am an international student studying Computer Science at the University of Ottawa in Ottawa, Ontario and am supposed to graduate in April. As is discerned, in order to qualify for immigration, at least one year of work experience is taken for granted, which I am set to acquire through the post-graduation employment programme tailored for international students. However, there also were some question marks in my mind about immigrating from Québec, which appears to be more appealing. I would like to simply enumerate some of my strong points in order to let you recommend the best course of action I should take:

Now, in regards to the self-evaluation test I have taken online provided by the immigration Canada (the self-evaluation test intended for skilled-workers), my score is 78%(If I can recall correctly). However, my lack of full-time work experience is one hindrance that precludes me from currently qualifying for it although my score is well-above the minimum of 67% stipulated by the government.

On the other hand, I would like to find out in what ways I can benefit from the Québécois Immigration System with the aforementioned strong points (if they are strong at all!). What is the minimum amount of full-time work experience I am required to possess in order to be qualified for Québec? Additionally, Québec appears to have a particular category for international students facilitating their immigration to Québec. The address to the related page pertaining to Immigration Québec is as follows:

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...ents/step.html

However, in order to qualify for this programme, am I supposed to be enrolled at a university in Québec? Do you know if I would be eligible to take advantage of the immigration programme tailored for foreign students although I am registered at a university in Ontario/? I would highly appreciate your assistance and recommendations.

Regards,
        Old Jan 2nd 2005, 1:09 pm
        Just Joined

Default Re: International Student nearing his graduation date and considering immigration Québec

Hi everyone:

I would highly appreciate your inputs.

Best Regards,
        Old Jan 2nd 2005, 1:48 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
        Default Re: International Student nearing his graduation date and considering immigration Québec

As a student in Ontario you are not eligible for Quebec program for international students.

http://www.immq.gouv.qc.ca/anglais/i...html#etudiants

If you would have read the above carefully you would see the answer right there.

And it is not program that "appears to be more appealing" you should decide upon. It is the federal program or other than Quebec PNP you may qualify for if you want to live outside of Quebec. Use Quebec immigration route only if you intentions are to make Quebec your home.

Originally Posted by inquirer
        Hi everyone:

I would highly appreciate your inputs.

Best Regards,
        Old Jan 2nd 2005, 2:07 pm
        Just Joined

Dear Mr. Miller:

Thanks for clarifying my doubts. Now that it has been concluded that I am not eligible to apply through the programme tailored for the international students of Québec, I would like to find out whether there exists another way of applying through Québec. Yes, my goal is to set up my life in Québec immediately after immigration as I am a fluent speaker of the French language.

As you know, the federal programme requires at least 1 year of full-time work experience whereas the one offered by Québec requires only 6 months of minimum full-time work experience (Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am mistaken). In light of the foregoing information, do you think it would be more advisable to consider Québec?

Moreover, I would like to inquire about how my part-time work experience can be counted. Can one conclude that the part-time work experience I have had cannot be counted at all?

I am sorry if my questions appear to be silly, but I am indeed in limbo and feeling rather apprehensive as my graduation nears.

Best Regards,
        Old Jan 2nd 2005, 4:04 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Quebec program requires at least 6 months of work experience. But did you check if you can meet other criteria for Quebec?

Part time experience must be converted to full time equivalent using 37.5 hrs per week (or 1,950 hrs per year) as full time.

Originally Posted by inquirer
        Dear Mr. Miller:

Thanks for clarifying my doubts. Now that it has been concluded that I am not eligible to apply through the programme tailored for the international students of Québec, I would like to find out whether there exists another way of applying through Québec. Yes, my goal is to set up my life in Québec immediately after immigration as I am a fluent speaker of the French language.

As you know, the federal programme requires at least 1 year of full-time work experience whereas the one offered by Québec requires only 6 months of minimum full-time work experience (Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am mistaken). In light of the foregoing information, do you think it would be more advisable to consider Québec?

Moreover, I would like to inquire about how my part-time work experience can be counted. Can one conclude that the part-time work experience I have had cannot be counted at all?

I am sorry if my questions appear to be silly, but I am indeed in limbo and feeling rather apprehensive as my graduation nears.

Best Regards,