Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Interesting question regarding living & working in Canada

Interesting question regarding living & working in Canada

Old Oct 23rd 2012, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

chaddsuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interesting question regarding living & working in Canada

Hi All

Hope you are all well. I currently work in the UK for a US based company, there may be a possibility that I could move out to the US to work for the company and work from home.

My question is...would it be possible for a person from the UK to work for a US company (paid in US dollars) but actually work from Calgary for instance?

I have absolutely no idea what my status would be, I supposed I would need a US work visa but would I be entitled to live in Canada whilst technically working in the US?

Very confused if this is even possible...

Thanks
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 8:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting question regarding living & working in Canada

It's one to ask in the US forum tbh. You'd definitely need a US work visa (tricky to get), and I don't know if that would become invalid if you weren't actually working in the US or not.

But if you ask in the US forum then the lovely peeps there will no doubt help you out.

And from a Canada point of view, what visa would you have enabling you to live there? Are you a PR?

Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

To add to the question say you did get a US work visa working for a US company Id be interested to see how you plan to live in Canada unless you are a Canadian citizen or PR. Are you married to a Canadian or a PR of Canada?
Working for a US company does not entitle you to live in Canada unless authorized. Can you explain why you would be living in Calgary?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

skytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really nice

It sounds like you want to live in Canada as a visitor and continue to work for the US company. From what I understand you cannot work at all if you are living in Canada without a Canadian work permit. Maybe someone can correct me if that is not the case.