Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Inside or Outside Canada for Sponsorship?

Inside or Outside Canada for Sponsorship?

Old Oct 23rd 2012, 5:43 am
Just Joined

IzzyR has a brilliant futureIzzyR has a brilliant futureIzzyR has a brilliant futureIzzyR has a brilliant futureIzzyR has a brilliant futureIzzyR has a brilliant futureIzzyR has a brilliant future
Default Inside or Outside Canada for Sponsorship?

I have been living with my Canadian partner and working in Canada since I got a working holiday visa in October 2011. I just successfully applied for a second time and now have a work visa to take me up until October 2013. Since we have now been living together for the minimum one year, my partner and I are ready to apply for my PR through the Common-Law sponsorship route.
I was all ready to apply from 'within Canada' since I live here and will be here until next October at least. However I see from other threads and information online that many people apply 'outside Canada' even though they are living in Canada, and this seems preferable largely due to the faster processing time.
My questions are:
1. If applying 'outside' when in fact you are currently living in Canada, how do you fill in the questions under the 'Maintaining Contact' and 'Living Arrangements' sections on form 'Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire [IMM 5490]'? Surely here you have to admit that you are currently living together rather than trying to keep in touch from abroad, so isn't this a problem if applying on the basis you are living outside the country?
2. I am employed full time and my employer wants to keep me. If I don't have PR granted by the time my work visa expires in October 2013, I am intending to submit an application to extend my work permit, on the understanding I am allowed to keep working whilst the CIC is making a decision. I therefore hope this might buy me an extra month or so, before PR gets granted. If I apply 'outside' rather than 'inside', will this affect my ability to apply to extend my work permit?
Thanks!
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 5:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inside or Outside Canada for Sponsorship?

Originally Posted by IzzyR
2. I am employed full time and my employer wants to keep me. If I don't have PR granted by the time my work visa expires in October 2013, I am intending to submit an application to extend my work permit, on the understanding I am allowed to keep working whilst the CIC is making a decision.
What kind of work permit are you on, a 'normal' one i.e. with a LMO? Just that if it's a Working Holiday Visa, there's no implied status (as it cannot be extended), so that plan won't work.

Having said that, you should easily have PR by then if you apply 'outland'.

And re: question 1, it would only be a problem if you said you weren't living together as the 'living arrangements' bit - as that's the whole reason you are eligible to apply as common-law spouse! If you said you were living in the UK you wouldn't qualify anyway.

Probably 98% of the people applying on the forum do outland sponsorship, the majority of whom are living in Canada, and it's no issue at all as you are perfectly entitled to choose London as your visa office. Just answer the questions truthfully.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 23rd 2012 at 6:00 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:13 am
Just Joined

IzzyR has a brilliant futureIzzyR has a brilliant futureIzzyR has a brilliant futureIzzyR has a brilliant futureIzzyR has a brilliant futureIzzyR has a brilliant futureIzzyR has a brilliant future
Default Re: Inside or Outside Canada for Sponsorship?

Thanks for the reassurance Christmasoompa! I guess I didn't regard it so much as having the right to choose my visa office, as applying truthfully on the basis I am in fact living in Canada. I guess I'll change my plans and apply 'outland' and hopefully I'll have PR in good time

My visa is simply a working holiday one rather than off the back of a LMO, so I guess I can't extend it after all. My employer has been pretty great so hopefully they will be prepared to hire a temp and tread water with me for a couple of months if necessary - will keep my fingers crossed!