Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

inland vs outland - UK citizen currently living in Canada

Wikiposts

inland vs outland - UK citizen currently living in Canada

Old Oct 16th 2018, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

ameliax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default inland vs outland - UK citizen currently living in Canada

Hi, I posted this over on the canadavisa forums and was advised to post here too for some more opinions

So up until very recently the idea was for my husband and I to apply for the inland spousal visa as I am in Canada currently and have been since April 2018 (we married in July 2018) and I'm currently waiting for a decision on my visitor extension. However, i've since been reading that the outland route may be better for me due to appeal rights, faster processing, freedom to travel etc but I'd like to get more opinions from people who have gone via this route or if anybody thinks that applying inland may be better.

The biggest concern is that ideally I would have liked to work but seeing as the OWP can take 3-4mths it is appearing to make more sense to go for a faster processing option and if necessary I can always go back to the UK to work for a few months until the process is completed. Actually a question that I have is am I able to change my residence easily if I were to go back to the UK to wait for the process to end? Currently I reside in Canada or does that tend to cause delays when you make changes to your application?

As far as I'm aware our application isn't complicated, known each other for 6 years, been together for 2, this marriage is each others first, no criminal convictions etc so we're hoping for a smooth journey (if that is even possible!)

I'm from the UK in case this is important to know.

Thank you in advance for the help, it really is appreciated!
Old Oct 16th 2018, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: inland vs outland - UK citizen currently living in Canada

Timescales.....it took us 2 months to get all the paperwork arranged in the UK, then 3 months processing time via spousal sponsorship. You will need to get back ground police record checks for every where you have lived in the last 10 years. You will also need to arrange a medical exam at one of the designated centres. Good luck. It can all be done before Brexit, which is not saying much 😁
Old Oct 17th 2018, 5:54 am
Just Joined

ameliax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: inland vs outland - UK citizen currently living in Canada

Originally Posted by glendem4
Timescales.....it took us 2 months to get all the paperwork arranged in the UK, then 3 months processing time via spousal sponsorship. You will need to get back ground police record checks for every where you have lived in the last 10 years. You will also need to arrange a medical exam at one of the designated centres. Good luck. It can all be done before Brexit, which is not saying much 😁
Thanks for the response! we already have pretty much all of the paperwork arranged & police certificate so almost ready to go... just a lot of printing to do!

Were you living in the UK when you applied outland or were you already in Canada like me? I'm wondering which visa office it goes to if I'm already in Canada when I apply and if that makes a difference with the timescale?