Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Inland or Outside Spousal Application for PR?

Inland or Outside Spousal Application for PR?

Old May 23rd 2005, 5:32 am
adj
Just Joined

adj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Inland or Outside Spousal Application for PR?

I am a Canadian citizen who is returning to live in Canada after living in the US for many years. My wife is a US citizen.

Since it was our intent for my wife to apply as an Inland Spouse, we told the agent at the border of this intent. My wife was issued a "visitor record" valid for 6 months. After we had left immigration, I noted that there was a "This does not authorize re-entry" note on the record. Since we will have to make at least a few trips to the US before my wife receives PR status, I telephoned the CIC Call Center and asked whether travel to the US would be a problem. The agent said it "might" be OK, but she strongly recommended that we use an outside application. Apparently we can do this even though we are living in Canada. She also stated that there was almost no difference in processing time.

What is the recommended procedure in a case like this? Although the agent stated that there would be almost no difference between inside and outside processing times, when I looked on the CIC web site there appeared to be a significant difference (5 months for inside processing versus 11 months for 50% of cases through Buffalo). Although processing time is not an overriding issue, the difference in cost between private health insurance and the government system is at least one consideration.

Any advice would be appreciated.

adj
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:14 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Inland or Outside Spousal Application for PR?

It is really irrelevant which route you select if your wife in US citizen - the standard policy so far is to let American (or other national from visa waiver country) spouse re-enter Canada without problems as long as such spouse is not inadmissible. And providing that fact of having PR application pending is disclosed at the port of entry.

The risk is there and you should know about it and understand it - but really only in cases when sponsored spouse is found inadmissible on criminal or security grounds and if she or he can't re-enter Canada then inland application will be deemed abandoned.

As for processing times - don't be mislead by reported timelines. Those timelines are for cases already completed and cannot be used to predict any future timelines. Every time people see the difference between inland timeline versus Buffalo timeline more decide to select inland route and as a result inland timelines are getting longer than from abroad. Inland processing times are changing rapidly, while timelines from abroad are rather steady.

Also remember that even if for example reported inland timelines are 6 months and 50% in Buffalo are 11 months then well prepared application in Buffalo may anyway end up in under 6 months while poorly prepared inland case may take 18 months or longer.

Originally Posted by adj
I am a Canadian citizen who is returning to live in Canada after living in the US for many years. My wife is a US citizen.

Since it was our intent for my wife to apply as an Inland Spouse, we told the agent at the border of this intent. My wife was issued a "visitor record" valid for 6 months. After we had left immigration, I noted that there was a "This does not authorize re-entry" note on the record. Since we will have to make at least a few trips to the US before my wife receives PR status, I telephoned the CIC Call Center and asked whether travel to the US would be a problem. The agent said it "might" be OK, but she strongly recommended that we use an outside application. Apparently we can do this even though we are living in Canada. She also stated that there was almost no difference in processing time.

What is the recommended procedure in a case like this? Although the agent stated that there would be almost no difference between inside and outside processing times, when I looked on the CIC web site there appeared to be a significant difference (5 months for inside processing versus 11 months for 50% of cases through Buffalo). Although processing time is not an overriding issue, the difference in cost between private health insurance and the government system is at least one consideration.

Any advice would be appreciated.

adj
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

thermophile is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Inland or Outside Spousal Application for PR?

I (USC) am going the outland route, but then "pre-landed" very shortly after we finally submitted the app. So I've had my temp. resident visa for nearly 6 months and returned to the US 7 times both by air and car. Never had any problems. The officer that issued my visa said that it could be taken away, but that it's very unlikely that it would be taken away unless I had done something illegal in either country (I have to curb my criminal instincts for the next few months). Actually, the US border guards have been much more interested in my visa/status than the Canadians. my visa states that I have a PR app. pending but I've always pointed that out before they even ask. you should be fine-don't worry