Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Inland applicant flagpoling problem

Inland applicant flagpoling problem

Old Oct 28th 2013, 3:22 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
jasmin13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Inland applicant flagpoling problem

hi guys,

I am a QSW applicant and received my immigration visa. I lived in Montreal for the most of immigration process, but moved to Toronto couple of months ago. I am planing to stay a bit longer in Toronto and move back to Montreal in 3-4 months.

1. I know that the VO needs to be convinced that I am still intending to live in Montreal. Do you know if it'd be a problem if I give them my Toronto address at the boarder and explain to them and I am going back to Montreal in couple of months?

2. given my situation, do you recommend me to go and flagpole from Quebec-US boarder or you think Niagara entry would do just fine?

I am really worried that the officer would reject me if I tell them that I have been living in Toronto for a while.

Thanks for your advise!!
jasmin13 is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2013, 7:58 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,885
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inland applicant flagpoling problem

Originally Posted by jasmin13
do you guys think it would help if I go to one of the cic offices to land instead of flagpoling?

Thanks
Several questions come to mind.
Why are you living in Toronto as thats in Ontario not Quebec as Quebec is sponsoring you?
Are you working in Ontario?
What evidence do you have to substantiate you will move back to Quebec? Do you have a job in Quebec or own/lease property?
Without knowing these answers Id be hesitant to land you.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2013, 2:02 pm
  #3  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,483
Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inland applicant flagpoling problem

I think you better get settled in Quebec and then land. Your sincerity is in question otherwise.
Jim Humphries is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2013, 6:33 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
jasmin13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Inland applicant flagpoling problem

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Several questions come to mind.
Why are you living in Toronto as thats in Ontario not Quebec as Quebec is sponsoring you?
Are you working in Ontario?
What evidence do you have to substantiate you will move back to Quebec? Do you have a job in Quebec or own/lease property?
Without knowing these answers Id be hesitant to land you.
Thank you Former Lancastrian!! I know you're not a VO but do you think these are reasonable answers?
1. I don't work in Toronto and mostly hanging there. I moved to Toronto temp just for the sake of trying it out. I couldn't really do anything in QC without having my PR (My plan is to go back to school and I didn't want to pay the international fee).
2. I don't have a job or a lease in qc at the moment.
jasmin13 is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2013, 6:40 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
jasmin13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Inland applicant flagpoling problem

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
I think you better get settled in Quebec and then land. Your sincerity is in question otherwise.
Thank you so much Jim, I see that you are a former VO. I would really appreciate if you could give me more advise on this matter. My VISA is only good for 60 days and I don't think I can move over within the deadline.

Jim, May I ask if normally the VO would ask me to provide them with a proof of address in Quebec, if I try to land via QC-US boarder? and if they do what would they accept as proof of address? is it only lease or phone/bank bills would do?

Thank you so so much Jim
jasmin13 is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 12:14 am
  #6  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inland applicant flagpoling problem

Originally Posted by jasmin13
Thank you Former Lancastrian!! I know you're not a VO but do you think these are reasonable answers?
1. I don't work in Toronto and mostly hanging there. I moved to Toronto temp just for the sake of trying it out. I couldn't really do anything in QC without having my PR (My plan is to go back to school and I didn't want to pay the international fee).
2. I don't have a job or a lease in qc at the moment.
Former Lancastrian is a Canada Border Service Agency Officer - one of the people who decide whether you get to enter into Canada or not. Jim H is a former Visa Officer. I would take heed of their responses.

I think the point they are trying to make is that you need to show that you intend to live and work in Quebec when you land. You applied through the Quebec SW stream and were accepted and processed as though you were going to be living in Quebec, so if you are not and can't show that you intend to, there will be questions asked.

It will also be questioned why you are living in Toronto if your intent is to live in Quebec.

Have you applied for any jobs, applied to a school or looked for an apartment in Quebec? Do you have correspondence with any companies, or schools or landlords? Do you have a lease or acceptance letter from a school or an email thanking you for your application? This is the type of thing that will show your intent.


Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 2nd 2013 at 12:21 am.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:54 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
jasmin13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Inland applicant flagpoling problem

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Former Lancastrian is a Canada Border Service Agency Officer - one of the people who decide whether you get to enter into Canada or not. Jim H is a former Visa Officer. I would take heed of their responses.

I think the point they are trying to make is that you need to show that you intend to live and work in Quebec when you land. You applied through the Quebec SW stream and were accepted and processed as though you were going to be living in Quebec, so if you are not and can't show that you intend to, there will be questions asked.

It will also be questioned why you are living in Toronto if your intent is to live in Quebec.

Have you applied for any jobs, applied to a school or looked for an apartment in Quebec? Do you have correspondence with any companies, or schools or landlords? Do you have a lease or acceptance letter from a school or an email thanking you for your application? This is the type of thing that will show your intent.

Thank you so much Siouxie and my apology to Former Lancastrian. I didn't know that he is CBSA. to be honest I lived in QC for the most of stay in Canada and I only moved to TO recently mostly because I am preparing for school and I was a bit tried of waiting!! and tbh I wasn't even sure that I'd receive PPR anytime soon due to the strike. I have already lost my chance of getting school admission for next fall as I cannot prepare the requirement in such a short time to deadlines!! again I had no idea about when I may receive PPR so I couldn't plan accordingly!!
jasmin13 is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:59 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
jasmin13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Inland applicant flagpoling problem

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
I think you better get settled in Quebec and then land. Your sincerity is in question otherwise.
Thank you so much again Jim. May I ask what can I do within 60 days to show my intent of living in QC? I am willing to do anything possible no to face any problem while doing my landing process!!

the thing is even when I lived in QC I always subleased places so there really wasn't a lease!! but I don't work in Toronto or don't do anything that shows a tie to ON (no drivers license from TO, literally nothing). It's more like a long holiday in TO.

I'd appreciate any advise!!
jasmin13 is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 5:13 am
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,885
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inland applicant flagpoling problem

It appears that you applied for PR under the Quebec Skilled Worker category and have since received your COPR forms.
Your posts indicate that you are or were planning to study rather than work in Quebec.
Did you have a job in Quebec when you applied under the QSW?
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 5:23 am
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
jasmin13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Inland applicant flagpoling problem

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
It appears that you applied for PR under the Quebec Skilled Worker category and have since received your COPR forms.
Your posts indicate that you are or were planning to study rather than work in Quebec.
Did you have a job in Quebec when you applied under the QSW?
Thank you so much Former Lancastrian. yes, I am QSW and I don't have my COPR yet. I am currently waiting for my landing visa (sent my passport to my VO a while ago). I think I should receive my passport back any time. I applied under QSW but I couldn't work in QC, since to be able to practice my profession in QC I needed to go to school for another year. however it'd cost a lot if I applied as an international student so I had to wait to receive my PR first and then apply for the school (plus I can apply for student loan after my PR).
I applied for QSW under my work experience from my home country. Although I temp live in TO now I don't work in TO and I have not made any tie in QC.

Former Lancastrian, thanks so much in advance for any advise, recommendation.
jasmin13 is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 5:28 am
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,885
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inland applicant flagpoling problem

My only advice is when you formally land as a PR once you receive the COPR forms is make sure you have ties to Quebec or you maybe refused as your PR is based on QSW.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 5:42 am
  #12  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inland applicant flagpoling problem

Originally Posted by jasmin13
Thank you so much again Jim. May I ask what can I do within 60 days to show my intent of living in QC? I am willing to do anything possible no to face any problem while doing my landing process!!

the thing is even when I lived in QC I always subleased places so there really wasn't a lease!! but I don't work in Toronto or don't do anything that shows a tie to ON (no drivers license from TO, literally nothing). It's more like a long holiday in TO.

I'd appreciate any advise!!
Why 60 days? If you here as a visitor, you could apply to extend your stay easily, either online or by mail - you could do that in the next couple of weeks and whilst it is being processed you would be on implied status. If your COPR comes through before you receive your extension, you would simply to go the border to activate it ; your COPR will be valid for 12 months from the date of your medical which should give you ample time to secure 'ties' to Quebec before you actually 'land'.

I would suggest that you make some enquiries to schools in Quebec and email a few agencies about rentals so that you have proof of intent, or else move back to Quebec prior to going to the border to activate your COPR and become a PR.

Siouxie is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 5:57 am
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
jasmin13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Inland applicant flagpoling problem

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
My only advice is when you formally land as a PR once you receive the COPR forms is make sure you have ties to Quebec or you maybe refused as your PR is based on QSW.
Thanks a lot Former Lancastrian.

May I ask if they would normally ask fro proof of address while you do the landing?
And I would really appreciate if you could recommend me some examples that could indicate my tie to QC other than job? I know having a job or a lease would be good ties but I am holding visitor status in Canada currently (no work permit) and as I mentioned I only only have a little bit more than 60 days to provide these ties before my landing visa expires.


Thanks in advnace

Last edited by jasmin13; Nov 2nd 2013 at 6:00 am.
jasmin13 is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 6:03 am
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,885
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inland applicant flagpoling problem

When you formally land CBSA will ask for an address for the PR card to be sent to or any other question regarding your situation as your landing is specifically based on the QSW stream as opposed to being an open anywhere in Canada landing.
Obviously having an address in Quebec or a driving licence or health care card issued by that Province or bank account are indicators.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 6:07 am
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
jasmin13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Inland applicant flagpoling problem

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Why 60 days? If you here as a visitor, you could apply to extend your stay easily, either online or by mail - you could do that in the next couple of weeks and whilst it is being processed you would be on implied status. If your COPR comes through before you receive your extension, you would simply to go the border to activate it ; your COPR will be valid for 12 months from the date of your medical which should give you ample time to secure 'ties' to Quebec before you actually 'land'.

I would suggest that you make some enquiries to schools in Quebec and email a few agencies about rentals so that you have proof of intent, or else move back to Quebec prior to going to the border to activate your COPR and become a PR.

Thanks so much for your through reply Siouxie!!

You are right, I have visitor status in Canada currently. but I am not from visa exempt countries so I need the landing visa in order to be able to land. And the landing visa is only good for 60 days. Therefore I must land within 60 days after receiving my passport. I sent my passport a while ago and I expect it to be delivered within couple of days.

these are great suggestions Siouxie. Thank you so much.
jasmin13 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.