Initial Assessment and RCMP Check

Old Aug 20th 2004, 2:40 am
Just Joined

jayajee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Initial Assessment and RCMP Check

My friend who applied to Buffalo last September (03) received his Initial Assessment (IA) with interview waiver last week, along with instructions and forms to supply proof of funds and medicals within 90 and 60 days respectively. However, there was no instruction (or tick in the generic IA letter as was the case in mine a year and a half ago) to undergo RCMP check. I told him he has to submit a RCMP check anyway as he has lived in Canada for over six months but the funny thing is that he has about 4 other friends who also received IA with interview waivers but neither was the RCMP check ticked or was there specific requests for them to do the check in the IA letter. Is this some kind of new procedure from Buffalo (where they ask for the RCMP check later) or was this an oversight by the person that filled in and sent the IA letters? (It seems to be the same person that filled all the 4 letters judging from the handwritten request for "proof of continous studies in Canada" in all the IA letters.

Could this person simply be forgetting to tick the RCMP request check (if so, someone better tell Buffalo to tell this guy to wake up!!) or is this really a new procedure (to ask for the RCMP check at a later date?). I seriosuly doubt the latter considering the fact that it says in all the IA letters received between May and August 2004 that the RCMP check takes up to 6 months!!

I may be wrong. Any positive input from y'all in this forum??
Old Aug 20th 2004, 2:50 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Initial Assessment and RCMP Check

Jim already replied quite clearly to the similar question in other post yesterday - and I will just repeat the same opinion here. Visa post assumes that you know about need for RCMP clearance as you should, that you arranged it already and results are on their way. If visa post won't receive it then most likely next letter you'll receive several month from now will not be expected passport request - it will be request for RCMP. Sometimes, although rather rarely things slip through cracks in the system, but don't count on it.

So, get on with RCMP check as it takes quite few months.

Originally Posted by jayajee
My friend who applied to Buffalo last September (03) received his Initial Assessment (IA) with interview waiver last week, along with instructions and forms to supply proof of funds and medicals within 90 and 60 days respectively. However, there was no instruction (or tick in the generic IA letter as was the case in mine a year and a half ago) to undergo RCMP check. I told him he has to submit a RCMP check anyway as he has lived in Canada for over six months but the funny thing is that he has about 4 other friends who also received IA with interview waivers but neither was the RCMP check ticked or was there specific requests for them to do the check in the IA letter. Is this some kind of new procedure from Buffalo (where they ask for the RCMP check later) or was this an oversight by the person that filled in and sent the IA letters? (It seems to be the same person that filled all the 4 letters judging from the handwritten request for "proof of continous studies in Canada" in all the IA letters.

Could this person simply be forgetting to tick the RCMP request check (if so, someone better tell Buffalo to tell this guy to wake up!!) or is this really a new procedure (to ask for the RCMP check at a later date?). I seriosuly doubt the latter considering the fact that it says in all the IA letters received between May and August 2004 that the RCMP check takes up to 6 months!!

I may be wrong. Any positive input from y'all in this forum??
Old Aug 20th 2004, 2:58 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Jim already replied quite clearly to the similar question in other post yesterday - and I will just repeat the same opinion here. Visa post assumes that you know about need for RCMP clearance as you should, that you arranged it already and results are on their way. If visa post won't receive it then most likely next letter you'll receive several month from now will not be expected passport request - it will be request for RCMP. Sometimes, although rather rarely things slip through cracks in the system, but don't count on it.

So, get on with RCMP check as it takes quite few months.
How about for people who lived in countries other than Canada. I lived in the UAE for 6 months and a few days after I turned 18. I received my IA last month and they only asked for police certificate from the US. Do you think they will come back later and ask for a police certificate from the UAE? :scared:
Old Aug 20th 2004, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

charmer6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know a few people now (including me) who have received IAs from Buffalo without any RCMP check requested, and with the exact same line - "proof of continuous studies" in the letter.

The application guide clearly mentions that we should not request an RCMP check without being asked for by the visa officer.

If Buffalo decides to send us an RCMP check letter later, then i guess we just have to wait for that much more time.

better late than never.

Originally Posted by MJ23
How about for people who lived in countries other than Canada. I lived in the UAE for 6 months and a few days after I turned 18. I received my IA last month and they only asked for police certificate from the US. Do you think they will come back later and ask for a police certificate from the UAE? :scared:
Old Aug 20th 2004, 11:45 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

ITs scary how many opinions there can be. The main problem with waiting for a request for the RCMP certificate is that it takes 5 or more months. The FBI is much quicker, but they charge a fee. If you are not asked for one then the visa office will have made a mistake in your favour.

Originally Posted by charmer6
I know a few people now (including me) who have received IAs from Buffalo without any RCMP check requested, and with the exact same line - "proof of continuous studies" in the letter.

The application guide clearly mentions that we should not request an RCMP check without being asked for by the visa officer.

If Buffalo decides to send us an RCMP check letter later, then i guess we just have to wait for that much more time.

better late than never.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:16 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

I should add that processing times are making deferral of police certificates a real necessity since many of them would expire under the present system before the case was completed. Hong Kong objects to providing PCs unless there is a specific request from the visa office and, to save them work, the request is deferred until the case is likely to pass and near to completion. The same applies to the FBI and RCMP certificates. I just hope theat the RCMP have speeded up their process recently.

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
ITs scary how many opinions there can be. The main problem with waiting for a request for the RCMP certificate is that it takes 5 or more months. The FBI is much quicker, but they charge a fee. If you are not asked for one then the visa office will have made a mistake in your favour.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:37 pm
BBQ
Just Joined

BBQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the same situation: applied, recevied request for medical but no RCMP. ( i am currently in Canada but I applied in europe and I submitted with the application the PC from my cuintry of birth)
should I apply for the RCPM papers now or I should wait for the visa office instruction.
thanks
bbq
Old Aug 21st 2004, 5:23 am

The visa office wants you to wait until they ask because processing times are too long and it might well become out of date, requiring a new one late in the process.

Originally Posted by BBQ
I am in the same situation: applied, recevied request for medical but no RCMP. ( i am currently in Canada but I applied in europe and I submitted with the application the PC from my cuintry of birth)
should I apply for the RCPM papers now or I should wait for the visa office instruction.
thanks
bbq
Old Aug 21st 2004, 9:19 am
BBQ
Just Joined

BBQ is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you,
bbq