Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Initial assessment from Buffalo & Questions

Initial assessment from Buffalo & Questions

Old Aug 28th 2001, 6:22 am
Qm313

Hello everyone, I wonder if I could get some advice on what to do at this point. I
submitted independent immigration application as a skilled worker to Buffalo
consulate on Mar. 2001, and received an initial assessment letter just a few days
ago, saying that the initial assessment is over and an interview is required. It also
said that my files are waiting to be transferred to the interview location and it
takes 7-10 months. I am now very concerned about the timeframe for getting the visa,
since I heard that the whole process takes at least 1.5 years with the interview and
it is getting much worse at Buffalo these days.

My intended occupation in Canada is electrical engineer. I am currently working in
the U.S. after finishing my study. I have lived in the US for 4 years by now. When I
submitted the application, I had
M.S. degree, and working experience as a graduate assistant for 4 years + a few
months of industrial experience. I think my working experience as a research
assistant got counted by the visa officer, since the application was not
rejected. And I guess that only some portion of it counted because I would have
gotten an interview waiver otherwise (I thought I was over 70 points if the
whole 4 years counted). Shortly after I submitted the application, I got my PhD
degree and started a job in the U.S. as an electrical engineer (I applied for
H-1 visa).

I wonder, by any luck, if it would be possible to get an interview waiver at this
stage by supplementing more job experience and recommendation letters (recommendation
letters in the original application were not very detailed) to Buffalo again. I am
asking this because I know one person who wrote a letter to Buffalo again and got an
interview waiver. Understandably, everyone has different situation and it may not
likely to happen, but I would like to do anything to facilitate the process, because
I am under time pressure to get the visa by 2002.

Basically, my questions are: If I can get the interview scheduled within 10 months
as they say on the letter, (June~July 2001?), and assuming the everything goes OK at
the interview and background check, would it be feasible to get the immigration visa
within 6 months from the interview, i.e., by the end of 2002? If not, would it be
worth sending a letter and supplemental evidence of further job experience (PhD
degree from U.S. university, current job in the U.S. as an electrical engineer,
stronger recommendation letters from current/former employer) to request a
reassessment to get an interview waiver? Could it just make things worse?

If any of you has an opinion, please share it with me. I will greatly appreciate.
Thank you very much.