Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Information regarding Temporary Worker's Visa, please?

Information regarding Temporary Worker's Visa, please?

Old Aug 27th 2015, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Vulcan66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Information regarding Temporary Worker's Visa, please?

Hello,

I would like to work in Canada for a while, in order to decide whether a permanent move would be for me. Yes, I realise citizenship isn't as simple as just living there.....

If anybody has any information they could give me, with regard to attaining a Temporary Worker's Visa, I would be very grateful.

Thank you
Old Aug 27th 2015, 8:28 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information regarding Temporary Worker's Visa, please?

Originally Posted by Vulcan66
Hello,

I would like to work in Canada for a while, in order to decide whether a permanent move would be for me. Yes, I realise citizenship isn't as simple as just living there.....

If anybody has any information they could give me, with regard to attaining a Temporary Worker's Visa, I would be very grateful.

Thank you
you're under 30 you can apply for an IEC 2 year holiday working visa. They are limited in number and are snatched up incredibly quickly. Unless you are intending to apply for permanent residency, or secure a job in advance, you can't just get a working visa and see how it goes.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm 48 and was intending to secure a job offer, first. Going to a jobs fair in London, in October, with regard to Canadian employment.
Permanent residency is a distinct possibility.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 8:43 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm 48 and was intending to secure a job offer, first. Going to a jobs fair in London, in October, with regard to Canadian employment.
Permanent residency is a distinct possibility.
What do you do for a living? That will hugely influence the likelihood of securing a job.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Civil Servant. But I have experience of admin in the private sector, as well.
I appreciate admin workers are ten a penny......
Old Aug 27th 2015, 8:49 am
"In cruce vincam"

Lots of admin in Canada. In fact the place thrives on it! Drives me nuts. The challenge you're going to face though is getting an employer to hire you over a similarly experienced Canadian - or someone who is already eligible to work here. The employer would need to demonstrate that they have been unable to find a suitable candidate already in the Country. Then the LMIA costs, I believe, $1000 as a start. Where are you thinking of moving to?
Old Aug 27th 2015, 11:07 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have a trade with experience, getting a govt job offer for a TWP is not going to happen. Even for local govt. you need PR to apply. Admin is very generic and as has been said, no shortage of Canadians to do this.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 12:30 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
What do you do for a living? That will hugely influence the likelihood of securing a job.
I feel this is a perfect example of your other thread recently RP
Old Aug 27th 2015, 2:19 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I feel this is a perfect example of your other thread recently RP
At least the OP doesn't have the arrogance of the "I've decided to move to Canada, where do I sign?". If Vulcan(?) really wants to move here then good luck to him. It is a beautiful place. I think maybe just a little more initial home research would give people more ammunition with which to offer pointers.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but when we began the journey to immigration it was a real solo effort. I didn't even know this site existed. I think new posters need to do their own initial due diligence and then they can bring a bit more focus to their questions.

There is a very solid crew of well informed individuals who can offer accurate and valuable advice to specific questions. But they aren't here to do the job for you (you in general, not the op specifically).
Old Aug 27th 2015, 2:46 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
At least the OP doesn't have the arrogance of the "I've decided to move to Canada, where do I sign?". If Vulcan(?) really wants to move here then good luck to him. It is a beautiful place. I think maybe just a little more initial home research would give people more ammunition with which to offer pointers.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but when we began the journey to immigration it was a real solo effort. I didn't even know this site existed. I think new posters need to do their own initial due diligence and then they can bring a bit more focus to their questions.

There is a very solid crew of well informed individuals who can offer accurate and valuable advice to specific questions. But they aren't here to do the job for you (you in general, not the op specifically).
That's exactly how I feel... I only used this site once we were nearly there and most other details sorted- that first post was to question the emotional side of the move...
Old Aug 27th 2015, 3:17 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
That's exactly how I feel... I only used this site once we were nearly there and most other details sorted- that first post was to question the emotional side of the move...
in the the good ol'days Miss 2133
Old Aug 27th 2015, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I'm one of those ten pennies. There are other regular posters here who are too. And we are already PRs/citizens.

Some of us are temping/freelancing/contracting (sometimes more than one job at a time) to make ends meet. Some of us are around your age. Some of us have Canadian experience.

Unless you have a specific niche skill/qualification/experience, you almost certainly won't get anywhere near an LMIA.

What do you score on the EE CRS calculator?

(Sorry to be Debbie Downer ).