Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Information on our best way to move to Canada

Information on our best way to move to Canada

Old Jul 13th 2016, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Pettyspark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information on our best way to move to Canada

I am writing to you because My Family and I are looking to immigrate to Canada in the very near future. We have been looking at the CIC website closely and have digested a lot of the information; but we are still unsure as to how we go about the process and are hoping someone could help us with some info.

I, myself, am British and was born in England in 1986, Erika, my wife of 3 years, is Canadian and born in 1987. She was moved to England with her Family in 1990 at the age of two and half. By our understanding she can just apply for her Canadian citizen card and move back and work and she can also apply for one for our two children, who are ages 1 & 4.

We have family in Canada; Erika's Father (my Father in Law), Her 3 Aunts and Uncles who all still live in Ontario, Canada and are all Canadian citizens. I am a fully qualified Electrician and would like to continue to pursue this trade in Canada.

Should I apply for the "Express Entry" as I am a Qualified Electrician?
or
Should my Wife get her Citizenship, We move over as a Family and She can then sponsor Me for permanent residency? -- I know this takes time, so can I obtain a work permit to get a job even if not in the electrical sector, while sponsorship is being processed or would I have to remain in the UK until it is complete?
or
Are there any other possibilities you can recommend for us to immigrate, considering our situation?

I started an express entry form online two days ago, but have not completed it as we spoke to the CIC and are now not confident that we are taking the correct steps. We would greatly appreciate any information anyone can give us.

Cheers
Old Jul 13th 2016, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information on our best way to move to Canada

If your wife is already a Canadian citizen by birth in Canada, she doesn't apply for Canadian citizenship as she already has it. She needs *proof* of her *existing* Canadian citizenship. In her case, she doesn't even need a citizenship cert. She can simply apply for a Canadian passport using her Canadian birth cert (long or short form from the province she was born in).

In the case of the children, they are Canadian citizens by descent through your wife. They also need to obtain proof of their existing Canadian citizenship which, in their case, would be Canadian citizenship certs (it's not a plastic, wallet-sized card anyone - it's a paper certificate). Once these are obtained, you can apply for their Canadian passports.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

For spousal sponsorship, look here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jul 13th 2016 at 5:26 am.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 4:40 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

To transfer your trade qualification, you would need to register with a provincial training authority, apply to challenge the inter provincial exam, prove 9000 hours work experience. If you pass you are good to go, as it is a Red Seal endorsed trade, it is transferable to any province.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Applying for proof of Canadian citizenship is the way to go and then your wife can sponsor you to become a permanent resident on the basis of your relationship. You would not be assessed on your qualifications for that route.

If living outside Canada, the Canadian citizen sponsor has to declare they intend to move back to Canada once their spouse is granted Permanent Residence and provide proof of that intention.

S
Old Jul 13th 2016, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

where you looking at moving to ?
Old Aug 7th 2016, 4:41 am
Just Joined

AnElectriciansWife is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pettyspark - our situation is similar to yours. My husband has been a UK qualified electrician for 11 yrs now - family business. I'm Canadian, here on an UK ancestry visa. We, like you are looking to move back to Canada - preferably Ontario (my family reside there).

I'd like to follow this thread along with you, if that's ok?

We've been reading about Red Seals, TEA (Trade Equivalency Assessment via Ontario College of Trades), etc. and feel so lost.

Journeyman Electrician you are an inspiration!!
Old Aug 8th 2016, 4:20 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Spousal sponsorship is by far the easiest way to get the non-Canadian spouse a work permit for Canada - it's not even a work permit, it's straight to Permanent Residency, which is full right to live and work in Canada. Sponsorship takes less than a year from the time you apply. It's by far the easiest option. Lots of info in the wiki posted above and in the FAQ linked in my signature.