Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Information for british citizen wanting to get married in Canada?

Wikiposts

Information for british citizen wanting to get married in Canada?

Old Jul 8th 2003, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

stodge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information for british citizen wanting to get married in Canada?

I just received an email from a friend in England regarding marriage in Alberta.

My friend is a british citizen but is planning on getting married in Banff, Alberta. She says that she's having a hard time tracking down information relating to VISAs and requirements etc. Does anyone know of a specific website (government or otherwise) that explains how this would work? I have already pointed her towards the federal and provincial website so hopefully she will find some information there.

Any help appreciated.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Alfaris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information for british citizen wanting to get married in Canada?

British citizens are not required to apply for a visitor visa before travelling to Canada. They simply need to have passports that will be valid for the duration of their stay in Canada.

To get married in Alberta, there are no residency or blood test requirements. The first step is to apply for a marriage licence with valid identification (passports are fine). If one or both have been married in the past, the paperwork may be more involved. Once they obtain the marriage licence, they can do their marriage ceremony in Alberta with a marriage officiate (or officiant?), who must be licenced by the province of Alberta. The ceremony must be performed within three months of the issuance of the marriage licence. Both of them must be 18 years of age or older, or have the consent of both their parents.

You can get more in-depth information on the marriage information page at the website of the Government of Alberta:
http://www3.gov.ab.ca/gs/information...riage_info.cfm

Good luck,

Alfaris

Originally posted by stodge
I just received an email from a friend in England regarding marriage in Alberta.

My friend is a british citizen but is planning on getting married in Banff, Alberta. She says that she's having a hard time tracking down information relating to VISAs and requirements etc. Does anyone know of a specific website (government or otherwise) that explains how this would work? I have already pointed her towards the federal and provincial website so hopefully she will find some information there.

Any help appreciated.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

stodge is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Alfaris.