Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Information about going to Canada with I-797 only when on H1

Information about going to Canada with I-797 only when on H1

Old Apr 5th 2005, 11:26 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 32
bhartiamit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information about going to Canada with I-797 only when on H1

Hello Peoples,
Well, I finally made my landing last week to Canada woooo hooooo. The reason for this post is to inform all of you of a rule that is not very commonly known.
I went to canada with just an I-797 approval for my H1 and an expired H4 stamp on my passport. When leaving USA, I informed the flight officer that i was returning within 30 days and she didn't take my I-94. This is very important; she checked my return flight reservation and based on that didn't take my I-94. This is allowed under the AUTOMATIC VISA REVALIDATION procedure by the state department (go to travel.state.gov and search for automatic visa revalidation and u'll see the rule) NOw when i left canada, they checked my I-797, gave me a fresh I-94 and took my foto and finger prints and that was it. Basically, there's a rule that allows us to go to CANADA and MEXICO with a valid ststus even if our previous stamp is expired. The condition is that we have to spend less than 30 days there, we have to have a valid expired samp and a valid current status. Also, if you apply for any sort of visa while in Canada or mexico, then this rule is invalidated so please don't think that if the applicaiton for the stamping is denied, you'll be able to come in.

This has helped me and I hope that this info is helpful to all here.
Thanks to everyone here agin for all your support and info and GOOD LUCK one and ALL
bhartiamit is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2005, 11:47 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
orazone's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 448
orazone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Information about going to Canada with I-797 only when on H1

I have valid I-797 and I-94 but some 6 months ago i sent my passport to State Department for re-validation. Request was denied and passport was sent back with a stamp 'Cancelled without Prejudice' on the expired visa and also a letter stating that request for re-validation is not clearly approvable and i should approach some US embassy for further processing (if i want to).
Although i have valid I-94 and I797 ,i think i wont be able to benefit from this rule bcaz of the Cancellation of expired Visa.

Originally Posted by bhartiamit
Hello Peoples,
Well, I finally made my landing last week to Canada woooo hooooo. The reason for this post is to inform all of you of a rule that is not very commonly known.
I went to canada with just an I-797 approval for my H1 and an expired H4 stamp on my passport. When leaving USA, I informed the flight officer that i was returning within 30 days and she didn't take my I-94. This is very important; she checked my return flight reservation and based on that didn't take my I-94. This is allowed under the AUTOMATIC VISA REVALIDATION procedure by the state department (go to travel.state.gov and search for automatic visa revalidation and u'll see the rule) NOw when i left canada, they checked my I-797, gave me a fresh I-94 and took my foto and finger prints and that was it. Basically, there's a rule that allows us to go to CANADA and MEXICO with a valid ststus even if our previous stamp is expired. The condition is that we have to spend less than 30 days there, we have to have a valid expired samp and a valid current status. Also, if you apply for any sort of visa while in Canada or mexico, then this rule is invalidated so please don't think that if the applicaiton for the stamping is denied, you'll be able to come in.

This has helped me and I hope that this info is helpful to all here.
Thanks to everyone here agin for all your support and info and GOOD LUCK one and ALL
orazone is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:53 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 32
bhartiamit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information about going to Canada with I-797 only when on H1

This is because you cannot revalidate while in USA. To revalidate, you have to travel out of USA ( I think so ). Again, this info was general and not specific to anyone's case but mine and I hoped that anyone in similar situations could benefit from it since I didn't know this rule. They might have thought that you are applying for a new stamp or something?


Originally Posted by orazone
I have valid I-797 and I-94 but some 6 months ago i sent my passport to State Department for re-validation. Request was denied and passport was sent back with a stamp 'Cancelled without Prejudice' on the expired visa and also a letter stating that request for re-validation is not clearly approvable and i should approach some US embassy for further processing (if i want to).
Although i have valid I-94 and I797 ,i think i wont be able to benefit from this rule bcaz of the Cancellation of expired Visa.
bhartiamit is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2005, 2:59 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 34
RushTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information about going to Canada with I-797 only when on H1

Thanks a lot bhartiamit, we will be landing next week and my wife is in similar situation. she has an expired J1 visa on an expired passport, but she does have a valid I-94 and SD2019 and new passport valid til 2007. we will be landing by land through Niagara falls. we were told that she has to hold on to her I-94 since we are coming back in 3 days after landing. any advices on landing through rainbow bridge will be mutch appreciated.
thanks a gain
RushTech is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:40 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 32
bhartiamit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information about going to Canada with I-797 only when on H1

I'm glad this was of help to you ) well I flew in so dnt' know about the bridge but be sure to have a list of all the item u have with you already made as well as a list of items that will follow later. Be as Descriptive as possible and list as much as possible since it's better to have more listed and take less as opposed to vice versa. List the prices also sloghtly higher so that later when u move finally, u will be covered. Form B4 is for goods on hand and B4A is for goods to follow and can be found on http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu/AFAF_B-e.html this site. Make the lists ahead of time to save time at the border
Good Luck and safe landings.


Originally Posted by RushTech
Thanks a lot bhartiamit, we will be landing next week and my wife is in similar situation. she has an expired J1 visa on an expired passport, but she does have a valid I-94 and SD2019 and new passport valid til 2007. we will be landing by land through Niagara falls. we were told that she has to hold on to her I-94 since we are coming back in 3 days after landing. any advices on landing through rainbow bridge will be mutch appreciated.
thanks a gain
bhartiamit is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:15 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 34
RushTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information about going to Canada with I-797 only when on H1

bhartiamit, on the b4a-04b, do I enter let's say 30 shirts in row 1 adn put the total value for all 30 shits or list them individually? I am thinking listing them by category like T-shirts, Pants, Jackets ...etc
any suggestions?
thanks again
RushTech is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2005, 12:36 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 32
bhartiamit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information about going to Canada with I-797 only when on H1

Here's wha I did

List of things

Car – ***make, model and VIN #*** worth about $$ CAD
Kitchen Pots, Pans, Electronic Utensils worth about $$ CAD
Kitchen Cutlery, Crockery etc worth about $$ CAD
Kitchen Cooking needs, spices, baking needs, pickles, jams, powders etc worth about $$ CAD
Decorative items, photo frames, statues, flower pots, plants etc worth about $$ CAD
Clothes, Shoes, Clothing Accessories, Ties, ethnic clothes worth about $$ CAD
Bathroom needs, Toiletteries, Cosmetic needs, Health Aid needs worth about $$ CAD
Office stuff like Computer, Stationary, Files, Furniture worth about $$ CAD
Bedding, Comforters, Blankets, Sheets, Quilts etc worth about $$ CAD
Other homely electrical needs like vacuum cleaner, surge protector, wire extensions, hair dryer, battery charger, lamps etc about $$ CAD
Other household needs like sewing kit, first aid kit, multi purpose tool box, cleaning and repairing tools worth about $$ CAD
Jewels for woman and man made of Gold, Diamond, Silver worth about $$ CAD
Documents etc


Originally Posted by RushTech
bhartiamit, on the b4a-04b, do I enter let's say 30 shirts in row 1 adn put the total value for all 30 shits or list them individually? I am thinking listing them by category like T-shirts, Pants, Jackets ...etc
any suggestions?
thanks again
bhartiamit is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:01 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 34
RushTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information about going to Canada with I-797 only when on H1

I appreciate your time bhartiamit. thanks
RushTech is offline  
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:07 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 32
bhartiamit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information about going to Canada with I-797 only when on H1

No Worries. This forum has been so kind to me... I'm just doing my part
I was a major E-casaholic :P
I'm glad that now I can help others
By the way, I still check my e-cas
Originally Posted by RushTech
I appreciate your time bhartiamit. thanks
bhartiamit is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:08 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 34
RushTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information about going to Canada with I-797 only when on H1

yeah it is great place where one can read first hand experience from different people. another question. What if I don't have receipt for certain items?

thanks
RushTech is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:16 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 32
bhartiamit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Information about going to Canada with I-797 only when on H1

You don't need reciepts for any of the items. All you need is the list of all the items since they are considered as your personal house hold items. Only thing they say is taht if u list jewelry then try to get an appraisal for it when you bring it in coz they want to see that appraisal. In my case jewelry was listed as goods to follow so it was ok.

Hope this helps


Originally Posted by RushTech
yeah it is great place where one can read first hand experience from different people. another question. What if I don't have receipt for certain items?

thanks
bhartiamit is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.