Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Info request - Temporary visas + general ques

Info request - Temporary visas + general ques

Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:08 am
Just Joined

TranscultureKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info request - Temporary visas + general ques

Hello all,

we are in the midst of researching Canada in view of going to work out there and just wanted to ask what may seem an obvious question.

* I have seen that 18-30yr olds can apply for a temporary work visa for Canada, but have looked on the Canadian High commission website and haven't found the area in which this is explicitly written. Unless this is under the Temporary worker application area, in which case where can you find it written that the duration of the permit is 1 year? Also, my partner is 34, and we wondered how long the visa would be applicable for a temporary visa?

* On another more general note, I would be interested in finding out more about the differences in cultures both anlgo and francophone. Given Canada's bi-culturalism, to what extent is this felt across the 3 aforementionned areas? Does the French culture still infiltrate via different media, and how big are the French communities in either Vancouver or Calgary? I am trilingual, (French/Spanish and English) and hope to use the language skills to gain some sort of employment once there.

* My partner and I also attended the Canadian Expo in London two weeks ago and got the impression that once in Canada permanent visas are actually sometimes quicker to get, rather than waiting for one over here. Has anyone had experiences to confirm this?

oh, and I can't believe that it rains sometimes as much in Vancouver as it does over here!

any nfo for any of the above is much appreciated! many thanks
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:42 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Info request - Temporary visas + general ques

Originally Posted by TranscultureKid
* I have seen that 18-30yr olds can apply for a temporary work visa for Canada, but have looked on the Canadian High commission website and haven't found the area in which this is explicitly written. Unless this is under the Temporary worker application area, in which case where can you find it written that the duration of the permit is 1 year? Also, my partner is 34, and we wondered how long the visa would be applicable for a temporary visa?
These are only available through BUNAC, they are limited and none are left for 2008. Your partner is too old to qualify (they moved age limit down from 35 to 30 this year), and would have to get a job offer in a skilled occupaction and apply for work permit before moving over.
http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/

* On another more general note, I would be interested in finding out more about the differences in cultures both anlgo and francophone. Given Canada's bi-culturalism, to what extent is this felt across the 3 aforementionned areas? Does the French culture still infiltrate via different media, and how big are the French communities in either Vancouver or Calgary? I am trilingual, (French/Spanish and English) and hope to use the language skills to gain some sort of employment once there.
Sorry no french culture in Vancouver or Calgary. Cantonese or Mandarin would be far more useful!

* My partner and I also attended the Canadian Expo in London two weeks ago and got the impression that once in Canada permanent visas are actually sometimes quicker to get, rather than waiting for one over here. Has anyone had experiences to confirm this?
Yes - if you are permanently employed in Canada and working on a valid work permit then it can be quicker to get PR.

oh, and I can't believe that it rains sometimes as much in Vancouver as it does over here!
Annual rainfall in Vancouver is about the same as the UK. However its concentrated to the winter months, so summers are generally better. November is grim... However if you ski - rain in winter = snow in the mountains
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

TranscultureKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Info request - Temporary visas + general ques

ok great thanks for that Rob_999...will continue on the research front!