INFO PLEASE

Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:03 am
Just Joined

rhi and rob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default INFO PLEASE

Hello i have come out to canada with my wife and children , my wife is a canadain citizen and so are our children , at the moment they are waiting for there proof of citizenship to arrive as her father was canadain etc etc,
Well i have been offered a job and been told that i can go down to boarder control with my letter of job offer and get a temp work permit , i have been on the cic website and it does not say anything about haveing to have a LMO ? is this correct ? I am in bc , any info would be great Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2009, 2:57 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: INFO PLEASE

Hi

Originally Posted by rhi and rob
Hello i have come out to canada with my wife and children , my wife is a canadain citizen and so are our children , at the moment they are waiting for there proof of citizenship to arrive as her father was canadain etc etc,
Well i have been offered a job and been told that i can go down to boarder control with my letter of job offer and get a temp work permit , i have been on the cic website and it does not say anything about haveing to have a LMO ? is this correct ? I am in bc , any info would be great Thanks
1. What is you status in Canada? Has your wife sponsored you?
2. If you are not a PR, you will require an LMO to get a work permit.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

rhi and rob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello thanks for your reply , im in canada on a 6 month holiday visa , been offered a job in whistler in construction , have been told that can take job offer down to border control and when re entering canada can apply for a twp , looked on the website but that does not say anything about a LMO , just says take job offer with all details on etc , but was wanting more info if anyone can help , thanks rob
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rhi and rob
looked on the website but that does not say anything about a LMO , just says take job offer with all details on etc , but was wanting more info if anyone can help , thanks rob

You're obviously not looking on the right place on the CIC website..........this is taken from the Temporary Foreign Workers section, under the 'are you eligible to apply' bit -

"You must also have the following documents:

a job offer from a Canadian employer
a completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and
written confirmation from HRSDC that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion. "

The LMO is also mentioned in several other places, including the guide you can download about TWP's.

So yes, you definitely do require one! There are a few occupations that are LMO exempt, but none are in construction. If your potential employers want you to work for them, they will have to apply for the LMO.

Good luck.